Loewe (fashion brand)
The Loewe headquarters in Madrid
|Founder||Enrique Loewe y Roessberg|
|Products||Clothing, cosmetics, fashion accessories, jewelry, perfumes, watches|
|Revenue||US$341.1 million (2018)|
|US$13 million (2018)|
Number of employees
|Parent||LVMH Moët Hennessy - Louis Vuitton S.A.|
Loewe (//, Spanish: [loˈeβe]) (stylized as LOEWE) is a Spanish luxury fashion house specialising in leather goods, clothing, perfumes and other fashion accessories. Founded in 1846, Loewe approaches 175 years as the oldest and one of the world’s major luxury houses.
The company was established in 1846 when a group of Spanish leather craftsmen in Madrid were joined by Enrique Loewe, a merchant of Hessian origin. By the early 20th Century, many notable people took great interest in Loewe and Queen Ena became a regular customer. In 1905, Alfonso XIII granted them the Royal Warrant of Appointment and thus Loewe became Purveyor of the Royal Household of Spain. The company quickly grew in popularity and was promoted by figures such as Ernest Hemingway, Ava Gardner, Rita Hayworth, Marlene Dietrich and Sophia Loren amongst others.
King Alfonso XIII of Spain granted Enrique Loewe y Hinton, a descendant of the original brand founder, the title of Purveyor to the Royal Court. His wife, Queen Victoria Eugenie, frequently visited the store on Príncipe de Madrid street.
Jonathan Anderson, a 2005 College of Fashion graduate, became Loewe's creative director in 2013. He was born in Northern Ireland in 1984. Anderson's first ready-to-wear collections for Loewe were presented in 2014. He also deployed a new publicity campaign by Steven Meisel.
The company remains based in Spain. Manufacture, particularly of leather goods, takes place in Madrid, and Loewe stores are located worldwide.
Loewe has two stores in the US, one located in Miami (Design District) and a new store in Las Vegas at the Wynn Hotel as of December 2018.
In 1988, Enrique Loewe y Lynch, great-grandchild of the firm's creator, founded the Loewe Foundation, a private cultural foundation that supports cultural events and exhibitions. The foundation received a Gold Medal for Merit in the Fine Arts from the Spanish government in 2002.
- "Loewe ingresa 236 millones en 2018 y paga un dividendo de 16 millones a LVMH (Conversion to dollars based on currency exchange the 31st December 2018)". Expansión. 3 September 2019. Retrieved 21 January 2020.
- "Loewe Careers". Loewe Official Site. Retrieved 21 January 2020.
- Forvo Team. "Loewe pronunciation: How to pronounce LOEWE in Spanish, German".
- "Jonathan Anderson: "Fashion is a competition"". Vogue. 28 September 2018. Retrieved 21 January 2020.
- "Loewe Handbags: Fiercely Spanish It-Bags". The Italist. 24 June 2016. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- "The Art of Craft: A History of Loewe". Heroine. 15 March 2019. Retrieved 21 January 2020.
- "Modapedia: Loewe". Vogue. Retrieved 21 January 2020.
- "J.W. Anderson Biography". Vogue. 21 August 2013. Retrieved 16 November 2016.
- "La cuarta campaña de Loewe o cómo la firma ha revolucionado la publicidad en la moda". Vogue España. 30 September 2015. Retrieved 16 November 2016.
- "Loewe Foundation ¡Madrid!". Madrid Official Tourism Website. 22 September 2016. Retrieved 16 November 2016.
- "El INAEM renueva el convenio con la Fundación Loewe para el patrocinio de la Compañía Nacional de Danza". Gobierno de España, Ministerio de Educación, Cultura y Deporte. 27 April 2016. Retrieved 16 November 2016.