|Wholly owned subsidiary|
|Founder||Jean and Jane Ford|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, United States|
|Jean-André Rougeot, CEO|
Twin sisters and founders Jean and Jane Ford were born in Indiana. After they attended Indiana University, the two later appeared in commercials for Calgon bath products before moving to San Francisco.
The decision of opening their own business was merely based on a coin toss, with the options being either a casserole cafe or a beauty boutique. Initially founded as a beauty boutique named The Face Place in 1976 in San Francisco's Mission District, the shop specialized in quick-fix products for beauty dilemmas. Their first product was a blush and lip tint called "Rose tint", now renamed "benetint". The Fords originally created the rose flushed tint for an exotic dancer who was in need of a nipple tint. Benetint is most famously known by this story, and it remains the company's best-selling product, with over 10 million bottles sold. The Face Place later moved to Kearny Street in downtown San Francisco in the 1980s, and with the move came the debut of their original lip-plumping product, lip plump.
In 1989, the product catalog was developed. The Fords then focused on department store distribution, and soon after the original Face Place was renamed Benefit Cosmetics in 1990. In 1991 Benefit opened up in its first U.S. department store in Henri Bendel in New York City. With significant success in the U.S., Benefit went international in 1997 with their expansion into Harrods in London. Soon after, the Benefit Cosmetics product website was launched.
LVMH acquired Benefit Cosmetics on September 14, 1999. In 2001, Benefit launched their first bath and boudoir line, Bathina. Benefit opened its first "Brow Bar" (a boutique specializing in brow shaping) in 2003, at Macy's Union Square, San Francisco.
- "Benefit Cosmetics, makeup, beauty, skincare - Perfumes & Cosmetics - LVMH". LVMH. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Flaherty, Somer. "The Tiburon Twins Behind Benefit Cosmetics | Marin Magazine". www.marinmagazine.com. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Millea, Holly (3 June 2011). "One Woman's Mammogram Drama". ELLE. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- "Meet Benefit - Benefit Cosmetics". www.benefitcosmetics.com. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- "Benefit Cosmetics LLC: Private Company Information - Businessweek". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- "Benefit Cosmetics Brows". Retrieved July 1, 2011.
- Yu, Tami (27 October 2011). "Benefit Cosmetics Founders Talk Shopping, Business Secrets And Fried Chicken". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- "Most eyebrow waxes performed in 8 hours by a team". Guinness World Records. Retrieved 24 October 2016.