Lafayette station (Indiana)
Lafayette's historic Amtrak station was originally a "Big Four" Depot
|Location||200 North 2nd Street
Lafayette, Indiana, United States 47901
|Owned by||City of Lafayette|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Passengers (2013)||24,925 8.9%|
Big Four Depot
ca. 1910. Big Four Depot
|Area||8 acres (3 ha)|
|Architect||Buckeye Chum Company|
|NRHP Reference #||03000548|
|Added to NRHP||June 22, 2003|
Lafayette is an Amtrak station in Lafayette, Indiana, served by the Cardinal and Hoosier State. The current station facility was established in 1994. The Amtrak train previously stopped in the middle of the city's 5th Street, near the former Monon Railroad depot. The station building was moved to its current location from a different site. It is a Romanesque Revival style depot built in 1902 by the Lake Erie and Western Railroad and Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway, as the Big Four Depot. The station was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.
The building is an example of early twentieth century commercial architecture. It is one of two such structures in Indiana. It became part of the New York Central System, serving passengers through Lafayette between Cincinnati and Chicago. Lafayette was a major stop on this main artery of transportation for the NYC.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2013, State of Indiana" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Dynamic Depot Maps - Indiana
- "Indiana State Historic Architectural and Archaeological Research Database (SHAARD)" (Searchable database). Department of Natural Resources, Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology. Retrieved 2016-07-01. Note: This includes Laura Thayer (September 2002). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form: Big Four Depot" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-07-01. and Accompanying photographs
- Library of Congress, Template:AmericanMemory.LOC.GOV; HABS IND,79-LAFY,3-; Survey number HABS IN-257
Media related to Lafayette, Indiana (Amtrak station) at Wikimedia Commons
- Amtrak – Stations – Lafayette, IN
- Lafayette Amtrak Station (USA Rail Guide -- Train Web)
- Lafayette (LAF)--Great American Stations (Amtrak)
|This Indiana train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a property in Tippecanoe County, Indiana on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|