Lipidology is the scientific study of lipids.
Compared to other biomedical fields, lipidology was originally less popular since the constant handling of oils, smears, and greases was unappealing and separation was difficult. The field became more popular following the advent of chromatography which allowed lipids to be isolated and analyzed. The field was further popularized following the cytologic application of the electron microscope which found that many metabolic pathways take place on the cell membrane, whose properties are strongly influenced by its lipid composition.
A class of lipids known as phospholipids help make up what is known as lipoproteins, and a type of lipoprotein is called high density lipoprotein (HDL). A high concentration of high density lipoproteins-cholesterols (HDL-C) have what is known as a vasoprotective effect on the body, a finding that correlates with an enhanced cardiovascular effect. There is also a correlation between those with diseases such as chronic kidney disease, coronary artery disease, or diabetes mellitus and the possibility of low vasoprotective effect from HDL.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (May 2013)
- Kates, p. 275-276. sfn error: no target: CITEREFKates (help)
- Therapeutic lipidology, p. vii-viii
- Feingold, Kenneth R.; Grunfeld, Carl (2000), De Groot, Leslie J.; Chrousos, George; Dungan, Kathleen; Feingold, Kenneth R. (eds.), "Introduction to Lipids and Lipoproteins", Endotext, MDText.com, Inc., PMID 26247089, retrieved 2018-12-14
- Speer, Thimoteus; Meinitzer, Andreas; März, Winfried; Fliser, Danilo; Lüscher, Thomas F.; Landmesser, Ulf; von Eckardstein, Arnold; Laufs, Ulrich; Böger, Rainer H. (2017-05-21). "Symmetric dimethylarginine, high-density lipoproteins and cardiovascular disease". European Heart Journal. 38 (20): 1597–1607. doi:10.1093/eurheartj/ehx118. ISSN 0195-668X. PMID 28379378.
- Bell, David S.H. (October 1996). "Diabetes mellitus and coronary artery disease". Coronary Artery Disease. 7 (10): 715–722. doi:10.1097/00019501-199610000-00004. ISSN 0954-6928.
- Kates, Morris (1972), Techniques of lipidology; isolation, analysis and identification of lipids, Laboratory Techniques in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 3, Amsterdam, New York: North-Holland Pub. Co.American Elsevier, pp. 269–610, doi:10.1016/S0075-7535(08)70544-8, ISBN 978-0444103505
- Therapeutic lipidology. Totowa, N.J.: Humana. 2007. ISBN 9781597455336.
|This biochemistry article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|