List of South Korean submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
South Korea has submitted films to compete for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film since 1962. The award is handed out annually by the United States Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States that contains primarily non-English dialogue. The Korean nominee is chosen annually by a special committee assembled by the Korean Film Council.
South Korea has submitted twenty-eight films for consideration, however, none have yet received an Oscar nomination. North Korea has never sought to participate in the competition, and has never sent any films.
Korea's first three submissions were directed by Shin Sang-ok, as was their 1990 submission. Shin later became internationally famous after he claimed to have been held hostage in North Korea between 1978–1986, and forced to make movies for Kim Jong-Il. Three other directors, Lee Chang-dong, Lee Doo-yong and Lee Joon-ik, have had their films selected to represent South Korea on two occasions.
Every year, each country is invited by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to submit its best film for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. The Foreign Language Film Award Committee oversees the process and reviews all the submitted films. Following this, they vote via secret ballot to determine the five nominees for the award. Below is a list of the films that have been submitted by South Korea for review by the Academy for the award since its conception. All submissions were filmed in the Korean language.
|Film title used in nomination||Korean title||Director||Result|
|My Mother and the Roomer||사랑방 손님과 어머니||Sang-ok, ShinShin Sang-ok||Not Nominated|
|The Dumb Samyong||벙어리 삼용||Sang-ok, ShinShin Sang-ok||Not Nominated|
|Rice||쌀||Sang-ok, ShinShin Sang-ok||Not Nominated|
|Descendants of Cain||카인의 후예||Hyun-mok, YuYu Hyun-mok||Not Nominated|
|The Old Craftsman of Jar||독 짓는 늙은이||Ha-won, ChoiChoi Ha-won||Not Nominated|
|Mute Samyong||비련의 벙어리 삼용||Jang-ho, ByeonByeon Jang-ho||Not Nominated|
|Mulleya Mulleya||여인잔혹사 물레야 물레야||Doo-yong, LeeLee Doo-yong||Not Nominated|
|Eoudong ||어우동||Chang-ho, LeeLee Chang-ho||Not Nominated|
|Eunuch||내시||Doo-yong, LeeLee Doo-yong||Not Nominated|
|Mayumi||마유미||Sang-ok, ShinShin Sang-ok||Not Nominated|
|Life and Death of the Hollywood Kid||헐리우드 키드의 생애||Ji-young, ChungChung Ji-young||Not Nominated|
|301, 302||301 302||Chul-soo, ParkPark Chul-soo||Not Nominated|
|Chunhyang||춘향뎐||Kwon-taek, ImIm Kwon-taek||Not Nominated|
|Oasis||오아시스||Chang-dong, LeeLee Chang-dong||Not Nominated|
|Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring||봄, 여름, 가을, 겨울 그리고 봄||Ki-duk, KimKim Ki-duk||Not Nominated|
|Taegukgi ||태극기 휘날리며||Je-gyu, KangKang Je-gyu||Not Nominated|
|Welcome to Dongmakgol ||웰컴투 동막골||Kwang-hyun, ParkPark Kwang-hyun||Not Nominated|
|King and the Clown ||왕의 남자||Joon-ik, LeeLee Joon-ik||Not Nominated|
|Secret Sunshine ||밀양||Chang-dong, LeeLee Chang-dong||Not Nominated|
|Crossing ||크로싱||Tae-kyun, KimKim Tae-kyun||Not Nominated|
|Mother ||마더||Joon-ho, BongBong Joon-ho||Not Nominated|
|A Barefoot Dream ||맨발의 꿈||Tae-kyun, KimKim Tae-kyun||Not Nominated|
|The Front Line||고지전||Hoon, JangJang Hoon||Not Nominated|
|Pietà||피에타||Ki-duk, KimKim Ki-duk||Not Nominated|
|Juvenile Offender||범죄소년||Yi-kwan, KangKang Yi-kwan||Not Nominated|
|Haemoo||해무||Sung-bo, ShimShim Sung-bo||Not Nominated|
|The Throne||사도||Joon-ik, LeeLee Joon-ik||Not Nominated|
|The Age of Shadows||밀정||Jee-woon, KimKim Jee-woon||Not Nominated|
- List of Academy Award winners and nominees for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Academy Award-winning foreign language films
- Cinema of Korea
- "Special Rules for the Best Foreign Language Film Award". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 2008-01-12. Retrieved 2008-06-10.
- Other shortlisted films: 3-Iron, April Snow, A Bittersweet Life, Crying Fist, Duelist, Marathon and Sympathy For Lady Vengeance. Source: http://www.koreanfilm.org/news2005.html
- Other shortlisted films: The Host and Time. Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2006/sep/21/news
- Other shortlisted films: Breath and May 18. Source: http://www.variety.com/awardcentral_article/VR1117971729.html?nav=news&categoryid=1982&cs=1&query=%22Secret+Sunshine%22
- Other shortlisted films: The Chaser, Forever the Moment, The Good, the Bad, the Weird, and Sunny. Source: http://www.variety.com/awardcentral_article/VR1117990204.html?nav=news&categoryid=1982&cs=1
- Other shortlisted films: Breathless, A Frozen Flower, Lifting King Kong, Old Partner and Thirst. Source: http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2009/08/11/2009081100759.html
- Other shortlisted films: Blades of Blood, The Housemaid, Poetry, Potato Symphony and 71: Into the Fire. Source: http://www.screendaily.com/news/asia-pacific/a-barefoot-dream-is-koreas-surprise-oscar-submission/5018003.article
- "9 Foreign Language Films Continue to Oscar Race". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "South Korea submits The Front Line for Oscar race". Screendaily. Retrieved 2011-08-24.
- "63 Countries Vie for 2011 Foreign Language Film Oscar". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- Other shortlisted films: The Day He Arrives, Hanji, Poongsan, Sunny and The Yellow Sea.
- Noh, Jean (2012-09-13). "South Korea selects Pieta as Oscar submission". Screen International. EMAP. Retrieved 2012-09-13.
- "Korean Pic "Juvenile Offender" to Compete at the Oscars". Ten Asia. Retrieved 2013-08-30.
- "Korea Sets 'Sea Fog' on Foreign-Language Oscar Course". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- Hyo-won, Lee (1 September 2015). "Oscars: South Korea Submits 'The Throne' for Foreign-Language Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- Kil, Sonia (30 August 2016). "Warner Bros.' 'Age of Shadows' Picked as Korea's Oscar Contender". Variety. Retrieved 30 August 2016.