List of places with columnar jointed volcanics
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012)
Columnar jointed volcanic rocks exist in many places on Earth. Perhaps the most famous basalt lava flow in the world is the Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland, in which the vertical joints form polygonal columns and give the impression of having been artificially constructed.
Notable columnar jointed volcanics
This may have formed from contractional cooling of basaltic lavas.
- "Organ Pipes" near Twyfelfontein, Namibia
- Numan, Nigeria
- Seliana, Tunisia
- Rochester Falls, Mauritius
- Foreke quarry, Foreke Dachang, Cameroon
- St. Mary's Island, Malpe
- Gilbert Hill, Andheri, Mumbai
- forest area of near ( Bagli ) Pipari village of Dewas district (Madhya Pradesh) The rock formation is at Kavadia Pahad (series of seven mountain ranges).
- Syria / Israel (disputed)
- Heiyuhe Columnar Joints (黑鱼河柱状节理) [Xianrenqiao (仙人桥)], Longchuan River (龙川江) & Black Fish River, Tengchong
- Basalt Island area, Hong Kong; including High Island Reservoir area, Hong Kong; although the High Island Reservoir is not basalt but rhyolitic tuff, rich in potash feldspar and quartz phenocrysts.
- Tongpan Basalt (桶盤玄武岩石柱), Tongpan Island and Hujing Island (Table island, 虎井嶼), Penghu Islands
- The Whale Cave, on the seashore, in Penghu County
- Natsudomari Peninsula, Hiranai, Aomori
- Kawazu 7 waterfalls area, Izu Peninsula, Shizuoka
- Tōjinbō, Mikuni, Fukui
- Genbudō, Toyooka, Hyōgo
- Takachiho-kyo gorge, Takachiho, Miyazaki
- Keya no Oto, Itoshima, Fukuoka
- Tatami-ishi, Kumejima, Okinawa
- South Korea
- Mon Hin Kong (Thai: ม่อนหินกอง), in a mountainous area of the Phi Pan Nam Range near Na Phun, Wang Chin District, Phrae Province, Thailand
- Da Dia Cliff ( ) — The Cliff of Stone Plates (Vietnamese: Ghềnh Đá Dĩa), An Ninh Đông Village, Tuy An District, Phú Yên Province, Vietnam
- Yen Islet ( ) (Vietnamese: Hòn Yến)- An Hòa Village, Tuy An District, Phú Yên Province
- Vuc Hom Fall ( ) (Vietnamese: Thác Vực Hồm) - An Lĩnh Village, Tuy An District, Phú Yên Province
- Vuc Song Fall ( ) (Vietnamese: Thác Vực Song) - An Lĩnh Village, Tuy An District, Phú Yên Province
- Battle Fall ( ) (Vietnamese: Thác Dơi) - Vĩnh Sơn Village, Vĩnh Thạnh District, Bình Định Province
- Takon Citadel ( ) (Vietnamese: Thành đá Tà Kơn) - K8 (old name: Kon Blò), Vĩnh Sơn Village, Vĩnh Thạnh District, Bình Định Province
- El Salvador
- Cascada Los Tercios, Suchitoto
- Concepción waterfall, Aculco
- Los Ladrillos, Boquete
- Faroe Islands
- Thueyts, Jaujac and Fabras, Ardèche
- Saint-Flour, Cantal
- La Tour-d'Auvergne
- Scandola Nature Reserve, Corsica
- Linz am Rhein, Mendig, Mayen, Rhineland-Palatinate
- Hoher Hagen (Dransfeld), Lower Saxony
- Rhön, North Bavaria
- Stolpen, Saxony
- Scharfenstein, Hesse
- Weiselberg, Saarland
- Qeqertarsuaq, Disko Island
- Aldeyjarfoss, Þingeyjarsveit
- Dverghamrar, Kirkjubæjarklaustur
- Hellnahraun near Arnarstapi, Snæfellsbær
- Hljóðaklettar, Jökulsárgljúfur
- Kirkjugólf, Kirkjubæjarklaustur
- Kálfshamarsvík, Austur-Húnavatnssýsla
- Litlanesfoss, Fljótsdalshreppur
- Reynisdrangar and Reynisfjara, Vík í Mýrdal
- Stuðlagil, East of Iceland
- Svartifoss, Skaftafell
- Alcantara River Gorges, Sicily
- Cyclopean Isles, Sicily
- Motta Sant'Anastasia neck, Sicily
- Lake Bolsena, Lazio
- Seiser Alm, South Tyrol
- Rocha dos Bordões cliffs, Flores, Azores
- Pico de Ana Ferreira, Porto Santo
- Penedo do Lexim, Mafra
- Punta Baja, Cabo de Gata-Níjar Natural Park, Andalusia
- Castellfollit de la Roca, Girona
- Fruiz, Biscay
- Pitón volcánico de Cancarix, Albacete
- Los Órganos, La Gomera, Canary Islands
- United Kingdom
- Giant's Causeway, Northern Ireland
- The islands of Canna, Eigg, and Muck, Scotland
- The northern part of the Isle of Skye, Scotland
- The Isle of Mull and the nearby beach of Morvern, Scotland
- Samson's ribs, Scotland
- Fingal's Cave and Staffa, Scotland
- Ulva, Scotland
- Panská Skála, Kamenický Šenov, Czech Republic
- Zlatý vrch, Česká Kamenice, Czech Republic
- Sioni, Mtskheta-Mtianeti, Georgia
- Milos, Greece
- Coloanele de bazalt de la Racoș, Romania
- Thunderstruck Rocks (Detunatele), Romania
- Bazaltove, Ukraine
- North Mountain, Nova Scotia
- Grand Manan Island (western shorelines), New Brunswick
- Brandywine Falls Provincial Park, British Columbia
- Cardiff Mountain, Chilcotin Plateau, British Columbia
- Keremeos Columns, Keremeos, British Columbia
- Aberdeen Columns, Lavington, British Columbia
- Wells Gray Provincial Park, British Columbia (Moul Falls, Dragon's Tongue, Helmcken Falls)
- Mount Edziza Volcanic Complex, British Columbia
- Kelowna, British Columbia (Mount Boucherie, Spion Kopje)
- Devils Woodpile, British Columbia (Cathedral Provincial Park)
- Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec
- Simpson Island, Lake Superior National Marine Conservation Area, Rossport, Ontario
- Tow Hill, British Columbia
- Level Mountain, British Columbia
- Block Mountain, Montana (along the lower Big Hole River)
- Boiling Pots, Hilo, Hawaii (exposed by the Wailuku River)
- Cascade Range, Oregon, in Eugene and southeast of Molalla
- Columbia Plateau, Washington
- Columns of the Giants, Stanislaus National Forest, California
- Compton Peak in Shenandoah National Park, Virginia
- Devils Postpile National Monument, California
- Devils Tower National Monument, Wyoming
- Elk River Falls, Idaho
- Hughes Mountain, Missouri
- Hyalite Falls, Gallatin Mountain Range, Montana
- Whiterock Canyon, New Mexico, various cliffs and mesas from Otowi to Cochiti.
- Latourell Falls, Oregon
- Mount Tom (Massachusetts)
- Palisades Sill, New Jersey and New York, along the Hudson River
- Paul Bunyan's Woodpile, Juab County, Utah
- Sheepeater Cliff & multiple other areas in Yellowstone National Park
- Spokane, Washington (W Airport Dr. onramp)
- Stanford Rock, Lake Tahoe, California
- Sweetwater Canyon, Madison County, Montana
- Turtleback Mountain, Moultonborough, New Hampshire
- Whatcom County, Washington
- Basaltic Prisms of Santa María Regla in Huasca de Ocampo, Hidalgo
- Salto de San Anton in Cuernavaca, Morelos
- Flor De La Vida Retreat in Mascota, Jalisco
- Bombo Latite, Bombo, New South Wales
- Narooma Basalt, Narooma, New South Wales
- Fingal Head, New South Wales
- Battery Rock Rest Area, Located on the Golden Highway, 15 kilometres southeast of Merriwa and 19 kilometres northwest of Sandy Hollow on the western side of the highway. NSW
- Sawn Rocks, Mount Kaputar National Park, New South Wales
- Glass House Mountains, Queensland
- Burleigh Head National Park, Queensland
- Mount Scoria Conservation Park, Thangool, Queensland
- Ben Lomond National Park, Tasmania
- Cape Raoul, Tasmania
- Ruined Castle, Falls Creek, Victoria
- Organ Pipes National Park, Victoria
- Barfold Gorge, Campaspe River, Victoria
- Black Point, D'Entrecasteaux National Park, Western Australia
- Wyalup-Rocky Point, Bunbury, Western Australia
- Federated States of Micronesia
- New Zealand
- Blackhead and Second Beach, Dunedin
- Chatham Islands
- The Organ Pipes, Mount Cargill, Dunedin
- Mt Somers
- Bridal Veil Falls (Waikato), Raglan
- Ancud Volcanic Complex, Chile
- Mocho Volcano, Chile
- Pino Hachado Caldera, Neuquén Province, Argentina
- Pedras do Cambira, Apucarana, Brazil
Several exposures of columnar jointing have been discovered on the planet Mars by the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera, which is carried by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO).
A likely Hindu-origin ancient site at Gunung Padang in West Java, Indonesia was built by horizontally laying basalt columns to form terraces on the slope of a hill and creating open-roofed chambers by erecting vertical columns. A now-ruined thirteenth-century religious complex called Nan Madol was built using columnar basalt quarried from various locations on the island of Pohnpei in Micronesia.
Engraving of a basalt formation; from: Alberto Fortis, Della valle vulcanico-marina di Roncà nel territorio veronese (1778)
Basalt rocks near Detunata Goală east of Bucium, Romania
Basalt rocks on the Hirtstein in the Ore Mountains
The Bühren Organ Pipes
Garni Gorge, Armenia
- Grunert, Nicole (2000). Namibia: Fascination of Geology – A Travel Handbook. Windhoek: Klaus Hess. pp. 73–74. ISBN 99916-747-8-0.
- Ntekim, E. E. & Adekeye, J. I. D. (2003). "Petrography and geochemistry of basaltic rocks from the northcentral part of Yola Basin, N.E. Nigeria" (PDF). Nigerian Journal of Pure and Applied Science. 18: 1430–1437. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-02-25. Retrieved 2016-02-18.
- "Rare rock formation found in Dewas". The Times of India. 24 December 2012. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- Kölbl-Ebert, Martina; Colicchio, Stéphanie (2014). "The Boyabat Basalt Cliffs" (PDF). l'association de la Maison de la Géologie et de l'Environnement de Haute-Alsace. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "Мыс Столбчатый". www.webpark.ru. Archived from the original on 2019-04-06. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
- Po, Kimberly (27 April 2014). "H E L L O ♥ K I M M Y : Dunsulan Falls Of Bataan". Hellowkimmy.blogspot.com.
- "Bataan Day Trip: Mount Samat and Dunsulan Falls Itinerary". Janegalvez.com. 27 February 2016.
- "Bulingan Falls". ChoosePhilippines.com. 28 August 2013. Retrieved 31 July 2018.
- ม่อนเสาหินพิศวง Wonderful Mountain Of Colunnar Archived 2012-07-17 at archive.today
- Scott, Chris (31 October 2017). "The Grand Canyon of the Arctic Circle". CNN Travel. video by Effie Nidam, Diana Diroy and Chris Scott.
- "PSt04 - Pico de Ana Ferreira". geodiversidade.madeira.gov.pt.
- Gobierno vasco. "Basaltos de Fruiz" (PDF). Inventario lugares de interés geológico en la comunidad autónoma del País Vasco (in Spanish). Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- La Gomera: basalt cliffs Los Organos, Commons.wikimedia.org
- "Panská skála". Luzicke-hory.cz. Retrieved 26 December 2018.
- Callan Bentley (14 November 2011). "Compton Peak: superb columnar jointing". Mountain Beltway. American Geophysical Union (Blog). Retrieved 24 July 2015.
- "GeoSights: Paul Bunyan's Woodpile, Juab County – Utah Geological Survey". geology.utah.gov. Retrieved 2018-09-07.
- File:Columnar basalt.jpg (Wikimedia Commons)
- "México Travel Club". www.mexicotravelclub.com. Retrieved July 15, 2020.
- "Merriwa NSW Free Rest Areas". highwaytraveller.com.au.
- "Sawn Rocks, Mount Kaputar National Park" (PDF). NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- Mount Scoria culture
- Ruined Castle - Panoramio
- "Bunbury Basalt". Western Australian Museum. Retrieved 6 March 2021.
- "Black Head : Vegetation Condition After Quarrying" (PDF). Doc.govt.nz. Retrieved 26 December 2018.
- "New Zealand Tramper - A community for good, keen trampers and hikers". Tramper.nz. Retrieved 26 December 2018.
- The Pinnacles, Mt Somers on flickr
- "Mars and Earth: Columnar Jointing". Earthobservatory.nasa.gov. 10 June 2009.