My Love (Paul McCartney and Wings song)
|Single by Paul McCartney and Wings|
|from the album Red Rose Speedway|
|B-side||"The Mess (Live at The Hague)" (recorded on 21 August 1972)|
|Released||23 March 1973 (UK)
9 April 1973 (US)
|Wings singles chronology|
"My Love" is a love song written by Paul McCartney to his first wife Linda. The ballad was a number one single and the most successful track from the Paul McCartney and Wings 1973 album Red Rose Speedway.
The song was recorded live with an orchestra at Abbey Road Studios with Richard Hewson conducting: according to his recollections, a large number of takes were performed, as the guitar solo was different every time. It contains a guitar solo by the Northern Irish guitarist Henry McCullough, then part of the Wings line-up. McCartney said in 2010 about the solo:
|“||I'd sort of written the solo, as I often did write our solos. And he walked up to me right before the take and said, 'Hey, would it be alright if I try something else?' And I said, 'Er… yeah.' It was like, 'Do I believe in this guy?' And he played the solo on My Love, which came right out of the blue. And I just thought, Fucking great. And so there were plenty of moments like that where somebody's skill or feeling would overtake my wishes.||”|
- Paul McCartney — lead vocal, electric piano
- Linda McCartney — backing vocals
- Denny Laine — bass guitar, backing vocals
- Henry McCullough — lead guitar
- Denny Seiwell — drums
"My Love" was also released as a single in March 1973, reaching number 1 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and number 9 on the UK Singles Chart. The song also went to number 1 on the Easy Listening chart, remaining in this position for three weeks. Billboard ranked it as the No. 5 song for 1973. The single was certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America for sales of over one million copies.
A promo for the song was shot with the band surrounded by smog in a den with a ceiling window. This promo used an alternate McCartney lead vocal, not heard on any other release of the song. Recent remasters of this promo use the standard album version.
The song also appeared on the Wings compilation album Wings Greatest (1978), and later on the Paul McCartney compilation albums All the Best! (1987), Wingspan: Hits and History (2001) and Pure McCartney (2016). Live versions also appear on Wings over America (1976), Back in the World (2002) and Good Evening New York City (2009).
"My Love" has been covered by several vocal artists, including Nancy Wilson, Johnny Gill, Cher, Brenda Lee, Cass Elliott, Margie Joseph, Salena Jones, Mina, Shinehead, Andy Williams, Warren Hill, and Dottie West. There have also been three jazz instrumental cover versions, by Ivan "Boogaloo Joe" Jones, Pieces of a Dream (from 1996 album The Best Of Pieces of a Dream), and Michael Lington (from 2004 album Stay With Me).
In 1974 Lincoln Mayorga included an instrumental version on his LP Lincoln Mayorga & Distinguished Colleagues – Volume III, on the esoteric audiophile label Sheffield Lab, naming the track "The Perfect Song".
An instrumental of the song can be heard during Monica and Chandler's wedding in the American sitcom Friends.
- List of Billboard Hot 100 number-one singles of 1973
- List of number-one adult contemporary singles of 1973 (U.S.)
- Luca Perasi, Paul McCartney: Recording Sessions (1969-2013), L.I.L.Y. Publishing, 2013, ISBN 978-88-909122-1-4, p.87.
- Doyle, Tom, ed. (October 2010). "Starting over," (Paul McCartney: How I Survived … the Beatles.)". Mojo (magazine). Bauer Media Group (203): 76.
- "Paul McCartney singles". allmusic. Retrieved 12 August 2010.
- Rice, Tim; Paul Gambaccini; Jo Rice (1995). British Hit Singles. London: Guinness Publishing Ltd. ISBN 0-85112-633-2.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 163.
- [dead link]
- "RIAA Gold and Platinum". RIAA. Retrieved 2012-10-12.
- "flavour of new zealand - search listener". Flavourofnz.co.nz. Retrieved 2016-10-08.
- Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955-1990 - ISBN 0-89820-089-X
- "Australian Chart Book". Austchartbook.com.au. Archived from the original on 5 March 2016. Retrieved 2016-10-08.
- "Top Pop Singles" Billboard December 29, 1973: TA-28
- "The Best of Pieces of a Dream". Allmusic.com.
- "Stay with Me overview". Allmusic.com.
- "Stay with Me overview". Allmusic.com.