Paramount Network (international)
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
(downscaled to 16:9 576i for the SDTV feed)
|Owner||ViacomCBS Networks International|
|Launched||March 30, 2012 (Spain) |
September 5, 2013 (France)
February 14, 2014 (Hungary)
February 14, 2014 (Russia)
May 28, 2014 (Romania & Moldova)
November 14, 2014 (Latin America)
December 16, 2014 (Sweden)
March 19, 2015 (Poland)
February 2016 (Thailand)
February 27, 2016 (Italy)
April 15, 2017 (MENA)
2017 (Vietnam and Malaysia)
July 4, 2018 (United Kingdom)
June 1, 2019 (Philippines)
January 12, 2021 (Czechia)
February 1, 2021 (Singapore)
|Closed||September 1, 2020 (MENA)|
January 12, 2021 (Romania & Moldova)
|Former names||Paramount Channel|
Paramount Network (formerly Paramount Channel, which is still used in some countries) is a brand of several television channels operated by ViacomCBS Networks International that showcase the Paramount Pictures film catalogue, and selected TV series from ViacomCBS's television productions. The channel was first launched in Spain on March 30, 2012, and in the years since, the channel has operated in a number of territories across Europe, Latin America and Asia. It was formerly known as the Paramount Channel.
As Paramount Channel
To date, Paramount Channel has launched in Spain in March 2012, France in September 2013, Hungary in February 2014, Russia in January 2014, Romania on January 14, 2014, Latin America in September 1995 until 2003, but returns again in the brand new look of November 2014, Sweden in December 2014, Poland in March 2015, Italy and Thailand in February and May 2016, and in the Middle East in April 2017.
In May 2018, Viacom announced that the original Paramount Channel in Spain would relaunch as a local version of the U.S Paramount Network, switching to a general entertainment format with television series and films. The same relaunch as the Paramount Network occurred in Italy on March 16, 2019, and in Latin America on April 14, 2020. On October 20, 2020, it was announced that the Hungarian version would also rebrand as the Paramount Network, and the rebranding date was confirmed on November 23 that year. Paramount Channel in Hungary rebranded as the Paramount Network on December 17, 2020. In December 2020, ViacomCBS announced Prima Comedy Central in the Czech Republic will be rebranded as Paramount Network. Paramount Network launched effectively on January 12, 2021. On January 26, 2021, it was announced on the Paramount Channel Asia official Facebook page that ViacomCBS announced that the Paramount Channel in Thailand, Malaysia, and the Pacific Islands (including the Philippines) was to be rebranded as Paramount Network on February 1, 2021.
Launched in September 1995, The Paramount Channel was originally transmitted in Latin America as the launch day and primarily broadcast TV shows such as drama, sitcoms and animated TV shows. The original Paramount Channel in Spain primarily broadcast films from the 1980s and 1990s, as well as recent television series. The international versions that followed shared a similar format but never the same programming. For instance, films from the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s were broadcast in France, recent TV series and 1990s and 2000s films were broadcast in Italy, and films and TV series from the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, and 2010s were broadcast in Hungary, Poland, Romania, Russia, the Middle East, Latin America, and Southeast Asia. In addition to airing films, some versions in other countries are also airing combat sporting events from mixed martial arts promotion Bellator MMA.
Following the rebranding of the channel as Paramount Network, it now adds series from its U.S. domestic counterpart as well as from the television production companies of ViacomCBS and from acquisition of syndicated programming. In some countries, shows from Comedy Central are also aired on the channel.
List of Channels
- Paramount Channel France
- Paramount Channel Poland
- Paramount Channel Russia
- Paramount Comedy (Russia)
- Paramount Network Asia
- Paramount Network Australia - formally Spike Australia
- Paramount Network Brazil
- Paramount Network Canada (co-owned by Bell Media and ViacomCBS)
- Paramount Network Finland
- Paramount Network Hungary - formally RTL Spike (Licensed by RTL Group)
- Paramount Network Italy
- Paramount Network Latin America
- Paramount Network Spain
- Paramount Network Sweden
- Paramount Network UK - (formerly Spike UK and later 5Spike – part of the Channel 5 network)
- Paramount Network USA - will be rebranded into Paramount Movie Network
- Spike Netherlands
- "Paramount Channel". Variety. Retrieved April 3, 2015.
- Barraclough, Leo (February 18, 2014). "Paramount Channel Reaches Out to Russia, Hungary". Variety. Penske Business Media, LLC. Retrieved April 3, 2015.
- Cerban, Madalina (May 29, 2014). "Televiziunea de filme Paramount Channel s-a lansat în România". mediafax.ro (in Romanian). Retrieved February 21, 2019.
- de la Fuente, Anna Marie (September 10, 2014). "Paramount to Launch Movie Channel in Latin America". Variety. Penske Business Media, LLC. Retrieved April 3, 2015.
- Newbould, Chris (April 11, 2017). "Paramount Movie Channel launches in the Middle East". thenational.ae. Retrieved February 21, 2019.
- Rolfe, Pamela (May 21, 2018). "Spain Getting First Paramount Network Outside U.S." The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- "Paramount Channel diventa... Paramount Network!, le news di Paramount Network Italia". March 19, 2019. Archived from the original on March 19, 2019. Retrieved April 22, 2020.
- Bertran, Agustin (April 17, 2020). "Paramount Channel cambia de nombre a Paramount Network y estrena serie original producida en México". NexTV News Latin America (in Spanish). Retrieved April 22, 2020.
- "Egy csatornát megszüntet, egyet indít, egyet pedig átnevez a ViacomCBS". DTV News (in Hungarian). October 20, 2020. Retrieved October 20, 2020.
- Akos (November 23, 2020). "ViacomCBS to Make Changes to Its Hungarian Pay-TV Portfolio". CRT. Retrieved November 24, 2020.
- "Paramount Network set for Czech Republic". Broadband TV News. December 4, 2020.