This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The points classification is a secondary award category in road bicycle racing. Points are given for high finishes and, in some cases, for winning sprints at certain places along the route, most often called intermediate sprints. The points classification is the top prize for many cycling sprinters and is often known as the sprint classification; however, in some stage races these classifications are based on different criteria.
The points classification is arguably the second most important title and cycling jersey to win at a cycling stage race behind the general classification, which is the winner of the event by overall time.
Points classification winners of the Grand Tours
- Djamolidine Abdoujaparov (UZB) - 1 Giro points jersey (1994), 3 Tour points jerseys (1991, 1993, 1994), 1 Vuelta points jersey (1992)
- Mark Cavendish (GBR) - 1 Giro points jersey (2013), 1 Tour points jersey (2011), 1 Vuelta points jersey (2010)
- Laurent Jalabert (FRA) - 1 Giro points jersey (1999), 2 Tour points jerseys (1992, 1995), 4 Vuelta points jerseys (1994, 1995, 1996, 1997)
- Eddy Merckx (BEL) - 2 Giro points jersey (1968, 1973), 3 Tour points jerseys (1969, 1971, 1972), 1 Vuelta points jersey (1973)
- Alessandro Petacchi (ITA) - 1 Giro points jersey (2004), 1 Tour points jersey (2010), 1 Vuelta points jersey (2005)
Winning the points classification in two Grand Tours in a single year is a rare feat.
The Tour/Giro double has been achieved by one rider:
The Giro/Vuelta double has been achieved by one rider:
The Tour/Vuelta double has been achieved by four riders:
Most points jerseys (Grand Tours)
- 9: Erik Zabel - Germany
- 8: Sean Kelly - Ireland
- 7: Laurent Jalabert - France
- 6: Eddy Merckx - Belgium
- 6: Peter Sagan - Slovakia
- 5: Djamolidine Abdoujaparov - Uzbekistan
- 5: Jan Janssen - Netherlands
Winners by year
- Cycling sprinter
- Points classification in the Tour de France
- Points classification in the Giro d'Italia
- Points classification in the Vuelta a España
- "Results Grand Tours". Cycling Hall of Fame. Retrieved 28 May 2012.
- "Erik Zabel admits to 'doping for many years' and resigns from PCC". Press Association. Retrieved 5 August 2013.