|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011)|
|Nickname(s): Cement City|
|• MP||Ganesh singh|
|• Total||200 km2 (80 sq mi)|
|Elevation||315 m (1,033 ft)|
|• Density||1,400/km2 (3,700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Satna is a city in central India and a municipal corporation in Satna district in the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. It is the administrative headquarters of Satna District. Satna is a border city of the state and is touched by the borders of the state of Uttar Pradesh.
- 1 History
- 2 Geography
- 3 Demographics
- 4 Language and people
- 5 Industries
- 6 Transport
- 7 Education
- 8 Hospitals
- 9 Tourism
- 10 Media
- 11 Sports
- 12 Notable People
- 13 Temples
- 14 Online Business Directory
- 15 References
- 16 External links
History of Satna District is part of the history of BaghelKhand,of which a large part was ruled by state of Rewa while small part was ruled by feudatory chiefs,holding their states under British rulers.Satna got its name from Sutna or Satna river flowing in its vicinity. The river is originated from a beautiful spot at Sarang Ashram ( Sutikshna Ashram) situated near sarangpur village of Panna district.Previously railway station was named as sutna and town was known as Raghurajnagar. gradually the town also became Satna. A long history is associated with this place. In Ramayana Era, Lord Rama stayed in the region of Chitrakoot; half of it is in the outskirts of Satna, shared with Uttar Pradesh, which contains the rest.
It was previously a British station, the headquarters of the political agent for Baghelkhand. Political agent office was established in Satna in 1872 and abolished in 1931. Col. D.W.K. Barr prepared a plan for Satna town in 1882-88 and Sir Donald Robertson constructed roads ponds etc. in the town in 1888-94.Nearby, at Bharhut, there are the remains of a 2nd-century BC Buddhist stupa, first discovered in 1873 by renowned archaeologist Alexander Cunningham. However, most of the excavated remnants were sent to the Indian Museum. The early books Budhist, the Mahabharat, connects this place with rulers of the Haihaya,Kalchuri or Chedi clan.
Satna is located at  The place is renowned for dolomite mines and limestone.with an average elevation of 315 metres (1033 feet).
As of 2001[update] India census, Satna had a population of 225,468. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Satna has an average literacy rate of 70%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 76%, and female literacy is 62%. In Satna, 15% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Language and people
Hindi is the most commonly spoken language of the town. Some people speak Bagheli dilect which is a derivative of Hindi in this region. other less spoken languages include Sindhi, Punjabi, English, Hindi etc. many People here generally prefer speaking proper Hindi. Satna is the 7th most populated city in Madhya Pradesh.
Satna is in the limestone belts of India. As a result, it contributes around 8%–9% of India's total cement production. There is abundance of dolomite and limestone in the area, the city has Seven number of cement factories that are producing cement and exporting the same to other part of the country. The electrical cable company Universal Cables in Satna is among the pioneers in the country. The city of Satna is known as commercial capital of Baghelkhand. The city is amongst the few most promising cities of Madhya Pradesh because of the several new industries planned by some of the reputed industrial houses in the country. The city has witnessed a sharp growth in the last decade.[when?] Major problems faced in the city may inter alia include electricity, roads, air pollution due to atmospheric wastes of cement factories. Satna is known as the cement city of India. Due to the abundance of limestone and dolomite in the region.
Satna has its own smaller airport called Satna Airport. The nearest airport to Satna is Jabalpur Airport which is approximately 200 kilometres from the city. The road & railway connects the city to Jabalpur Airport. This airport was build during 1970.
Satna Junction railway station (IRCTC code STA) is a station in Western-Central railway division on the route between Jabalpur Junction and Allahabad. It is a junction and the branch goes to Rewa from here. The railway station has three platforms with all up going trains (trains in the direction of Mumbai) normally using platform number 1 and all down going (trains in direction of Allahabad-Manikpur) using platforms 2 and 3. Satna is well connected by train to almost all major cities of the countries. It lies on the Howrah–Allahabad–Mumbai line, a train route connecting Mumbai and Howrah. There is also a diesel depot for the Western Central Railway. Satna junction is the most prominent junction of the Jabalpur Railway division providing maximum income due to its high degree of loading and unloading of cement, petroleum etc. All trains passing from Satna Junction stop here which ultimately shows its importance. 3 of them have technical stoppage while the rest have commercial stoppage. ISO certified trains such as Rewanchal Express are the trains of the area.
Excellent bus service is available from Satna to various cities of Madhya pradesh and to some cities of Maharashtra. Luxury buses are available for smaller cities too, Sleeper buses are available for Indore, Bhopal, Nagpur and Jabalpur. A couple of state highways and a national highway make the city well connected by roads. Satna is connected to the longest National Highway: NH-7. State highway NH-75 passes from the heart of Satna and connects it to cities of Panna and Rewa which are other important cities of northern Madhya Pradesh.a very good bus service is available for cities like Jabalpur, Nagpur, Allahabad, Varanasi, Singrauli, Bhopal, Indore, Ambikapur. And also for the Rewa and Semaria the bus facility is available, and for the many places the facility is available. The time for the buses is from morning to midnight, it means every time we find the buses in satna bus stand. So from Satna we can go anywhere in Madhya Pradesh.
Satna has a literacy rate of 70.89%; however, this does not mean that the place has quality educational institutes. There is no central university there, a little known India's first rural university in Chitrakoot Mahatma Gandhi Chitrakoot Gramoday Vishwavidyalaya was established in 1991. It is one of 16 state government universities in Madhya Pradesh. There are several degree colleges with large campuses in Satna. Awdhesh Pratap Singh University located in Rewa provides affiliations to the colleges in the city. The city is an education hub of the Vindhya region and several courses like Biotechnology, Computer, Management, journalism etc. are offered by institutes here.
Polytechnic College is one of the oldest technical colleges the region. It has a special branch of Cement Technology which is the only in India.
Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya run by HRD Ministry of India is a center of education in Satna for those who cannot afford quality education on their own. Located at Rahikwara, this school has produced many talented engineers, journalists and lawyers.
- Mahatma Gandhi Chitrakoot Gramoday University
- AKS University www.aksuniversity.ac.in
- Govt. AUTO PG.college Satna
- Smt. Indira Gandhi Govt. Girls Collage Satna
- Government Polytechnic College ( GPCSatna )
- ITI, Birla Road
- Government Higher Secondary School Chormari, Satna
- Vindhya Institute of Technology and Science (http://www.vitsdpr.ac.in)
- Sadguru Institute of Computer Studies, Chitrakoot(http://www.sadgurutrust.org/education)
- Shri Rama Krishna College
- Rajiv Gandhi Computer College, Satna (www.rgcollege.com)
- Sadguru School of Nursing
- Sadguru Institute of Paramedical Sciences
- Aditya Engineering College
- DATACARE Institute of Information Technology
- Mahatma Gandhi college
- NITS Education,satna (affiliated from Jaipur)
- Satna Institute of Information Technology, Rewa road Satna
- Veda Vani Vitan,Oriental Research Institute,Birla Road,Kolgawan,Satna.
- Nishad College of Nursing
- Vindhya Institute of Technology and Science
- Rama Education Computer Institute Bharhut Nagar Satna
- SWAJAN Vidyapeeth , Bamhori, Satna
- SANT GYANODAYA DEGREE & MANAGEMENT CENTER , SEMRIYA CHOWK BIRLA ROAD SATNA 07672-250100
- Indira Gandhi Computer College, Semariya Chowk Satna (Vijay Singh & Shrivastava Sir) (Bikram Kushwaha)
- Shakshi Computer College, Birla Road Satna (Vijay Singh & Shrivastava Sir) (Bikram Kushwaha)
- Little Flowers' Public High School, Satna
- Privt. Hss Sant Kanwar
- prakash shishu mandir rampur baghelan (mp board)
- Sindhu, Satna 1978 (MP Board)
- Christ Jyoti Sr. Sec. School (CBSE)
- Christukula Mission Higher Secondary (ICSE Board)
- Kendriya Vidyalaya-1 Satna
- Kendriya Vidyalaya-2 Satna
- Darul-Uloom (English medium)
- Delhi Public School
- Shri Ram Sanskrit Mahavidyalaya (Badi Gufa) Chitrakoot
- Daffodils Hr. Sec. School
- The Lovedale Hr. Sec. School (CBSE Board)
- Janta Higher Secondary School
- Venkat Higher Secondary School(1) also called School of Excellence Satna.
- Venkat Higher Secondary School (2)
- V.I.P Campion Hr. Sec. School
- Priyamvada Birla Hr. Sec. School
- Sadguru Public Higher Secondary School, Chitrakoot (CBSE Board)
- C.M.A. Higher Secondary School
- Sindhu Higher Secondary School
- Bonanza Convent Higher Secondary School
- Gujarati School
- Shri Mahaveer Digambar Jain Vidyalaya
- Anupama Higher Secondary School
- Saraswati Shishu Mandir, Muktyarganj
- St Michael's Senior Secondary School (CBSE)
- St. Paul School Satna
- Blooms Academy (CBSE)
- Nalanda Public School
- Vidyadham Ucchatar Madhyamik Vidyalaya, Chitrakoot
- Sarswati Hr. Sec. School, Krishna Nagar
- Sarswati Vidyapeeth Awasiya Vidyalaya
- Dayanand Higher Secondary School (Hindi Medium)
- Mohammadia Ahsania Higher Secondary School, Satna
- Darsgah E Islami Higher Secondary School (Urdu Medium)
- Shri M.D. Jain H.S. School Satna (First Private School)
- Nav Jyoti High School satna
- Durga Shiksha Sadan Hanuman Nagar, Satna
- Garima Convent Hr. Sec. School Birla Road Siddharth Nagar, Satna M.P.
- St. John Hr. Sec. School, Navrang Park, Birla Road, Satna M.P.
- Govt.Boys Hr. Secondary School Birsinghpur Satna
- Daffodils Public Hr. Sec. school
- Tilak Shishu Mandir Hr. Sec. School
- Jyoti Kushwaha
- Scholar Homes
- jawar navodaya vidyalaya, rahikwara satna.
- Phani Bhushan School,Rajendra Nagar,Satna
Some of the hospitals serving the medical needs of people in Satna are:
- Balaji Hospital, Pateri
- District Hospital
- Rajneesh Hospital & Research Centre
- Birla Medical Research Centre
- Birla Hospital
- Priyamvada Birla Cancer Research Institute
- Samaritan Netra Deepti Hospital
- Samaritan Hospital
- Ayushman Hospital
- Chandra Nursing Home
- Prem Nursing Home
- AVM Hospital
- Nahar Nursing Home
- Trimurtee Nursing Home
- Pushpanjali Nursing Home
- Manglam Nursing Home
- Sanjeevani nursing home
- Jha Nursing Home
- R.K Nursing Home
- Gupta Clinic and Hospital
- Balgopal Hospital & Research Centre
- Singh Nursing Home
- Sadguru Netra Chikitsalaya, Chitrakoot(Largest Eye Hospital in north and central India with advanced Comprehensive Eye-Care services)
- Prakash medical haal
Satna district has some major religious tourism spots including 'Chitrakoot' and 'Maihar'. Satna district is proud to be close to an ancient city of Buddhist culture named 'Bharhut', whose archaeological remains are displayed in many museums in India and all over the world.In order to enlighten the glory of images of Bharhut Stupa,Bharhut Art Gallery has been established Within walking distance to the north of Satna Bus Station. The gallery is emballished with hundreds of photographs,replicas,epigraphs showing social and historical importance of the monument. Tulsi Museum at Ramvan, 16 km from the city, has many unique local artistic sculptures of ancient times. Lord Shiva temple at Birsinghpur-semariya is a famous and old temple in the region, worth visiting. Madhavgarh fort about 7 km from Satna Railway station (Rewa Road) is another place to visit around Satna.Gidhakoot(Gidhaila) parvat,laxminarayan mandir,Bada mandir(under construction)of New Deorajnagar are also tourist places.
Pannilal Chowk is one of the most crowded parts of city, but worth visiting as it has a long series of shops and other stores for shopping and restaurants.
Mukhtyarganj is a residence place for many of the Satna locals and among one of the best planned societies in Satna. Kotwali Chowk and Rajendra Nagar are other places where residential colonies have been built, there is most historical chowk at satna is Lalta Chowk, Satna. The red stone built grand Lord VenkatRaman Temple, in Mukhtyaganj is a famous temple visited by devotees and tourist alike. The nearby village Bamhori, via Jaitwar has two prominent temple HANUMANJI TEMPLE constructed by Mr Saryu Prasad Mishra great grand father of Shri Surendra Mishra and also NANDI TEMPLES visited by devotees round the year.There is one old world heritage ram-temple in Village Chormari it is near by Ved Mishra house.
R.I. Journeys which is a multinational destination management company has its main office in Satna.Owned by a local Mr. Abhishek Shukla who did his graduation from the famous school Triskula located in the city is keen to take the Trade and Tourism in the city to new heights.
There are many dailies published from the city like Dainik Bhaskar,Patrika Navbharat'madhyapradesh jansandesh Star Samachar,dainik nav swadesh. There is also electronic media(FM) name "VIVIDH BHARTI" on frequency 100.1 At testing Mode.'Dainik Jagran' Hindi daily publishing from Rewa last 62 years.
Cricket is the most popular sport played and followed by many in Satna. There are three main stadiums:
- Gandhi Stadium, Birla Road, Satna.
- Dhawari stadium Satna.
- Dada Sukhendra Singh Stadium, Jawahar Nagar, Satna.
- Gulsher Ahmed, Ex-governor, Himachal Pradesh
- Shivanand, Ex-speaker, Vindhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly
- J. S. Verma, Ex-chief Justice of India
- Govind Narayan Singh, ex-chief minister, Madhya Pradesh
- Ramhit Gupta, Ex-Finance Minister , Former Madhya Pradesh Bhartiya JanSangh president
Satna is famous for its scenic temples. One of those temples, Venktesh Mandir, is near Mukhtyarganj. It was constructed between 1876 and 1925 by the royal family of Deorajnagar. Shri Bihari Mandir, in the heart of Satna. It was built by a great devotee of God Krishna "Mahant Brindavan Das" in 1880's. Bihari mandir has been a cultural center of Satna for over hundred years as it organizes a very famous Ramleela which is revered by the locals. Apparently it has boasted it's 116th year celebration in 2013. Dali Baba is a very ancient place of worship in Satna. It is said to be established in 1857 by Abdaldas Baba. A Jain temple was constructed in 1880 and another Jain temple of lord Shantinath in Somchand-Dharsi Ghar-derasar near 1889 and Pranami Mandir in 1890.
A new temple named Pashupati Nath was built recently on the outskirts. There are temples of Saibaba, located at Dhawari and Sindhi colony where hundreds of people gather every Thursday for worship. One more famous one is Shiv Temple on the bank of Jagatdev Talab, a man-made water reservoir. Around Satna Khajuraho, Ramvan, Chitrakoot are world-famous temples. There is a Maa Sharda in Maihar which is a subdivision of Satna. There is a big hanuman statue near Ramvan 16 km from Satna on Rewa road. In Sohawal (7 km away from Satna railway station) a famous Ram Jaanki Mandir called Chhota Sthan was built by the royal family of Sohawal State. Shri Raghuvir Mandir at Badi Gufa is situated at the banks of holy Mandakini river in Jankikund, Chitrakoot. The temple is devoted to lord Ram-Sita and also is place of Holy saint Pujya Ranchoddas ji maharaj who was founder of Shri Sadguru Seva Sangh Trust and Sadguru Netra Chikitsalaya which is known across the nation for its world class eye-care facilities and Service to Humanity.
The HANUMAN JI TEMPLE also have a big Shiva Ling in BAMHORI,near Jaitwar (C.R) was constructed in 1962. The 14 months long Kirtan was also carried out along with daily Bhandara during Pranpratistha of the deities in HANUMANJI temple in Bamhori.
Online Business Directory
On 11 January 2014, First Business Directory Website (www.satnatrade.com) of Satna City was launched by Vinod Vaswani and Ankit Soni. With the help of this website anyone can access over all the information about Satna City which includes all business details of satna like as Schools, Hospitals, Shops, Colleges, Couriers, ATMs, Banks, Restaurants, Hotels, etc. This website also enables Satna Local Business Owners to get an Online Presence free of cost & helps them to grow their Business.
- "Falling Rain Genomics, Inc -Satna". Fallingrain.com. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- [dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Satna, India.|