Southeast University (Bangladesh)
- This is about the university in Bangladesh.
|Motto||"Meeting the challenges of Time"|
|Affiliation||UGC, IEB, IAB, PCB|
|Chairman||Md. Rezaul Karim|
|Chancellor||President Abdul Hamid|
|Vice-Chancellor||ANM Meshquat Uddin|
|Campus||Urban, 56,700 sq ft (5,270 m2)|
Southeast University (Bengali: সাউথইস্ট বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) or SEU is a private university in Banani, Dhaka, Bangladesh.It is one of the reputed private university in Bangladesh The University was established under the Private University Act, 1992 approved by the Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh. Its permanent campus is in 251/A & 252, Tejgaon Industrial Area, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. SEU ranked 11th among private universities in Bangla Tribune University Ranking 2017 (Perceptual Ranking).
- 1 History and administration
- 2 Programs
- 3 Library
- 4 Term and Grading
- 5 Scholarships opportunities
- 6 Clubs
- 7 Affiliations and membership
- 8 References
- 9 External links
History and administration
Southeast University (SEU) was established in June 2002 as a private university under the Private University Act 1992. The president of Bangladesh is the chancellor. The university is run by a number of statutory bodies as required under the provisions of the Private University Act, 1992.
Southeast University offers the following undergraduate, post graduate programs and diploma courses:
School of Science & Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Architecture
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science & Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Electronic and Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Textile Engineering
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
School of Business Studies
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration (Regular)
- Master of Business Administration (Executive)
- Master of Business Administration (only for BBA students)
School of Arts and Social Science
- 1 year Master of Laws: 1 year LL.M
- 2 year Master of Laws: 2 year LL.M
- 4 year Bachelor of Laws: LL.B (Hons)
- 2 year Bachelor of Laws: LL.B (Pass)
- Bachelor of English (Hons)
- Bachelor of Arts in Islamic Studies
- Master of Arts in Islamic Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Bangla Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics
- Master of Development Studies
- Diploma in Communicative English
- Postgraduate Diploma in World Trade Organization
Southeast University is linked with journal publishers through an international organisation named INASP/PERii. Bangladesh Academy of Sciences (BAS) is acting as the coordinating body. This facility is IP based and work only within SEU campus. The SEU library offers regular services such as circulation, reference, counseling, indexing, bibliographical documentation, back up services, retrospective searches etc.
Southeast University has a library equipped with books on the academic programs offered as well as on research and extracurricular activities. The total collection of books and journals at is about 15000. The space area of the library is 6,500 square feet (600 m2). It is a central library of the university rendering services to the students and faculty.
Term and Grading
Southeast University is modeled on the North American Open Credit system. It maintains tri-semester (term) year with the exception of the Department of Pharmacy which maintains a bi-semester year. Southeast University semester timeline is as follow:
- Spring: January - April (starting on the second Sunday of January)
- Summer: May - August (starting on the second Sunday of May)
- Fall: September - December (starting on the second Sunday of September)
Letter grades indicating the quality of course work completed are interpreted as follows:
|Class Intervals of Scores||Letter Grade||Grade Points|
|80 – 100||A+||4.00|
|75 - 79||A||3.75|
|70 – 74||A-||3.50|
|65 – 69||B+||3.25|
|60 – 64||B||3.00|
|55 - 59||B-||2.75|
|50 – 54||C+||2.50|
|45 – 49||C||2.25|
|40 – 44||D||2.00|
|Less than 40||F||0.00|
Traditional class equivalent as per MOE, GOB, notification dated 02.06.2009: GPA 3.00-4.00= 1st class GPA 2.25-2.99= 2nd class GPA 1.65-2.24= 3rd class
SEU offers partial to full tuition fee waiver based on outstanding HSC or A-Level result. But the result based waiver is not applicable in case of break of study. Also each semester the top ranked students from every department based on semester GPA gets partial financial assistance. Limited need based financial assistance program is available for students with more than 3.00 semester GPA. Children of Freedom Fighters are eligible for full tuition waiver & it remains valid in the subsequent semesters if the semester result is within the requirement.
The name of the official fifteen clubs are:
- Cultural Club
- Games & Sports Club
- Debate Club
- Social Services Club
- Movie & Drama Club
- Tourism & Photography Club
- Nature & Environment Club
- International Affairs Forum (MUN Club)
- Language & Literature Club
- Business Innovation Forum
- Computer Club
- Pharmacy Club
- Textile Club
- EEE Club
- Moot Court Society
Affiliations and membership
SEU has international relations and affiliations with other associations and universities around the world. SEU has international collaboration or MoU signed with these universities:
- University of Manchester, UK
- Yunnan University of Finance and Economics, China
- Wuhan Textile University, China
- Shinshu University, Japan
- Kunming University of Science and Technology, China
The university is member of some prestigious professional bodies including:
- Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh (IEB)
- University Grants Commission of Bangladesh (UGC)
- Institute of Architects Bangladesh (IAB)
- Pharmacy Council of Bangladesh (PCB)
- "The Vice Chancellor Office". Southeast University.
- Introduction. "UGC Annual Report 2016". Retrieved 2017-11-17.
- University Details. "University Grants Commission". www.ugc.gov.bd. Retrieved 2018-01-26.
- "BanglaTribune Perceptual Pvt University Ranking". Dhaka Tribune.
- "Southeast University Library".
- "Southeast University". www.seu.ac.bd. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- "Degree Requirements". Southeast University.
- administratorexam. "Southeast University". www.seu.ac.bd. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- সাউথইস্ট ও যুক্তরাজ্যের ম্যানচেস্টার ইউনিভার্সিটির মধ্যে চুক্তি [Agreement between Southwest and Manchester University of the United Kingdom]. Prothom Alo (in Bengali). Retrieved 2018-09-12.
- Southeast University (2015-05-26), MoU signed at Ganobhaban between SEU and Wuhan Textile University -ATN BANGLA, retrieved 2018-05-08
- "Southeast University Chases Excellence". Daily Sun. Retrieved 2018-05-08.
- "List of Accredited Program of the various Universities".
- "Southeast University : Architecture Department". www.seu.ac.bd. Retrieved 2018-05-08.
- User, Super. "Bachelor of Pharmacy". www.pcb.gov.bd. Retrieved 2018-05-08.