The America We Deserve
|Preceded by||Trump: The Art of the Comeback (1997)|
|Followed by||Trump: How to Get Rich (2004)|
45th president of the United States
The America We Deserve is a book about public policy written by American businessman (and later, 45th U.S. President) Donald Trump and author Dave Shiflett. It was published in January 2000, while Trump was considering running for president in that year's election on the Reform Party's ticket. The book lists and details a set of policy proposals Trump intended to implement should he ever become president.
Positions and proposals
In the book, Trump expresses anti-illegal-immigration views similar to those that he espoused when he ran for president successfully in 2016. For example, he wrote, "A liberal policy of immigration may seem to reflect confidence and generosity. But our current laxness toward illegal immigration shows a recklessness and disregard for those who live here legally."
However, Trump also endorsed some proposals he would abandon by 2016. For example, Trump proposed a 14.25% tax on individuals and trusts valued at more than $10 million. Trump also wrote in the book supporting a universal health care system.
Expectations of terrorism
During his 2016 presidential campaign, Trump frequently cited the book on the campaign trail as proof that he predicted the September 11 attacks. This is because he mentioned Osama Bin Laden in the book; however, Trump did not predict that Bin Laden would commit a terrorist attack against the United States in the book. Trump also claimed (for instance, in a 2015 interview with Alex Jones) that Bin Laden was not very well known in 2000, and that in the book, Trump personally called for someone to "take him out".
In the February 2000 issue of The American Spectator, Shiflett wrote that the book "will appeal to the established Trump constituency, but also hopes to show the author as worthy of wider support."
- Sankin, Aaron (2015-08-23). "Donald Trump's 15-year-old book on public policy reveals what kind of president he'd be". The Daily Dot.
- Selby, Gardner (2016-04-12). "Donald Trump fully flip-flops, lately opposes ban on assault weapons". Politifact Texas. Politifact.
- Matthews, Dylan (2016-07-07). "Zero-sum Trump". Vox.
- Wiegel, David (2011-04-15). "Enter the Donald, Take Two". Slate.
- "The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump".
- Kaplan, Rebecca (2015-11-26). "Fact check: Did Donald Trump predict the 9/11 attacks?". CBS News.
- Kiely, Eugene (2015-12-02). "Trump's bin Laden 'Prediction'". Factcheck.org.
- Shiflett, Dave (February 1, 2000). "The America We Deserve Review". The American Spectator.