Vietnam Border Defense Force
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013)|
|Vietnam Border Defense Force
Biên phòng Việt Nam
|Active||1958 – Present|
|Country||Socialist Republic of Vietnam|
|Size||150,000 officers and soldiers|
|Part of||Vietnam People's Army|
|Headquarters||Ha Noi, Vietnam|
|Motto||Đồn là nhà, Biên giới là quê hương, Đồng bào các dân tộc là anh em ruột thịt (Post is home, Border is country, Compatriots are siblings )|
|March||Hành khúc Bộ đội biên phòng (Border Defense marches)|
|Anniversaries||3 March 1959 (date of establishment)|
MT Orkim Harmony hijacking
|Commander||Lieutenant General Võ Trọng Việt|
|Political Commissar||Major General Phạm Huy Tập|
|Chief of Staff||Major General Hoàng Xuân Chiến|
Vietnam Border Defense Force is branch of the Vietnam People's Army, as the core, responsible management and protection of the sovereignty, territorial integrity, security, order and national boundaries on the mainland, islands, sea and at the gate as shall by law and is a force members in provincial areas of defense, border districts of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam.
On November 19, 1958, the Politburo of the Communist Party of Vietnam has decided to unite national defense forces and army units whose mission is to protect domestic, border protection, beach, boundary and other armed forces in charge of protecting the domestic and border guards,... under management by Police Department, named Guard forces. Guard forces including Border Guard and Homeland Guard.[better source needed]
According to the resolution of the Politburo, Border Guard is responsible for:
- Opportune repress spies, commandos, bandits, sea pirates and small cliques other destructive activities in cross-border, border, coast;
- Heavily attack on any army infringe upon national borders, to cope with all activities of war while waiting for the army come to reinforce;
- Prevent and punish smugglers on border areas;
- Implementing regulations on cross-border promulgated by the government of Socialist Republic of Vietnam and control of cross-border traffic (including cars, people, baggage, goods, works and cultural objects from other users in Vietnam brought out abroad and brought into Vietnam);
- Safety protect people's life and property and the State's property, the treasure, cooperatives, public schools, farms, in the border areas, against bandits, sea pirates, rangers surprised attack.
Homeland Guard is responsible for (this task transferred to police protection under the General Department of Police, Ministry of Public Security):
- Suppress all destructive activities of the small fee, parachuting spies and violence, destruction of the other counter-revolutionary cliques;
- Protect the headquarters, the leader of the Party and State, the diplomatic missions, international leaders and foreign guests visiting to Vietnam;
- Protect factories, mines, warehouses important, the center of important contact information, clues and important transport axis, and an important transport, cultural facilities, science and Art is important;
- Protect Capital, cities and towns is important, protecting the rallies by the central government regulations, executive orders curfew as needed and the people's police to maintain order general security;
- Guarding the camps, prisons, escorting political prisoners and criminal matter, the hearing protection.
March 3, 1959, the Prime Minister of Vietnam has signed Decision No. 100 - TTg on the establishment of an armed force in charge of border protection and domestic, to be known as the People's Armed Police, set under the leadership of the Ministry of Public Security. This date is taken as the date of establishment of the Vietnam Border Defense Force.
Ceremony set up the People's Armed Police was held on the evening of March 28, 1959, at 19 hours, at the Military Club, Hanoi.
By the end of 1979 the People's Armed Police was renamed Border Defense Force and transferred under the Ministry of Defence (Vietnam). In 1988, the Border Defense Force moved to directly under the Ministry of Interior until late in 1995, then moved to the Ministry of Defence (Vietnam).
Border Defense Force is the core force in charge, in coordination with other armed forces, localities and departments concerned and depend on people to manage, protect borders, maintaining security political, social order and safety in the border areas, maintaining the external border. Border Defense Force operates under the laws of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, the international treaties relating to the sovereignty, national security and border on the mainland, islands, seas and border gates that the Socialist Republic of Vietnam has signed or acceded to.
The organizational system of Border Defense Force includes three levels: Command (Central), Command provinces; Border posts.
Command of Border Defense Force
- Department of Politics
- Department of Logistics
- Department of Technique
- Department of Reconnaissance
- Department of Drug Prevention
- Department of Border Gate
- Office of the Command
- 21st Information Regiment
- Border Defense Force Academy
- Border Defense Force School
Border Command of the Provinces and Municipalities of Vietnam
- Border Defense Force Squadrons
- Border Defense Force Flotillas
- [dead link]
- "Bộ đội Biên phòng Việt Nam – Wikipedia tiếng Việt" (in Vietnamese). Vi.wikipedia.org. Retrieved 2012-03-04.