Wenzao Ursuline University of Languages
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (September 2010)|
|Motto||“Revere the Divine, Love the Human"|
|President||Dr. Francis K. H. So|
|306 (full time)|
|Location||Sanmin, Kaohsiung, Taiwan|
|Affiliations||Association of Christian Universities and Colleges in Asia|
|Wenzao Ursuline University of Languages|
The Wenzao Ursuline University of Languages (WZU; Chinese: 文藻外語大學) is the only university devoted to languages in Taiwan. It awards A.A., B.A., B.B.A. degrees, and offers a master's degree program M.A., M.B.A., and M.F.A.. Students from abroad can get a visa to study Chinese in Taiwan at Wenzao Ursuline, as it is one of the only 28 Chinese Language Centers accredited by the Ministry of Education. It is a member of Association of Christian Universities and Colleges in Asia (ACUCA), a member of international collaborative exchange agreements.
Wenzao Ursuline University of Languages, named after the first Chinese Bishop Lo Wenzao, was established in 1966 by Sisters of the Roman Union of the Order of St. Ursula as the Wenzao Ursuline Junior College of Modern Languages. The institution remained a female-only junior college until 1980. It became “Wenzao Ursuline College of Languages" in 1999, and the only college in Taiwan dedicated to languages. It preserved the junior college program in English, French, German, Spanish, and Japanese, two-year college and four-year college programs were added.
There are eight new departments established after it was restructured:
- Applied Chinese,
- Foreign Language Instruction,
- Translation & Interpreting,
- International Affairs,
- International Business Administration,
- Digital Content Application and
- Management and Communication Arts.
The Center for Teacher Education and the Center for General Education were established in 2001.
The school motto is "Revere the divine, love the human".
- Department of English
- Department of French
- Department of German
- Department of Spanish
- Department of Japanese
- Department of Applied Chinese
- Department of Foreign Language Instruction
- Department of Translation and Interpreting
- Department of Communication Arts
- Department of International Affairs
- Department of International Business Administration
- Department of Information Management and Communication
Global View Monthly Best Colleges of Taiwan in 2012, among all vocational colleges in Taiwan:
- 1st: Ratio of foreign faculty to local faculty,
- 1st: Number of courses taught in English,
- 1st: Number of international collaborative projects,
- 2nd: Number of international exchange students,
- 3rd: Performance of graduates.
Cheers Magazine "What do Taiwan Top 1000 Enterprises love about college graduates", among all vocational colleges in Taiwan:
- 1st: Graduates with global view and foreign languages skills,
- 1st: Number of courses taught in English, among all private vocational colleges in Taiwan,
- 1st: Ratio of foreign exchange students to local students,
- 1st: Ratio of foreign faculty to local faculty.
Global View Monthly and 104 Job Bank 2012 University/College Evaluation, among all vocational colleges in Taiwan:
- 1st: The most loved college by enterprises in both the south and east of Taiwan,
- 1st: The most loved college by the cultural and educational related industries,
- 1st: the most loved college by the mass media industries.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wenzao Ursuline University of Languages.|