National Yunlin University of Science and Technology
|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Motto||誠 敬 恆 新|
Motto in English
|Sincerity, Honor, Perseverance, Originality|
|Location||123 University Road, Section 3, Douliu City, Yunlin County, Taiwan|
|National Yunlin University of Science and Technology|
National Yunlin University of Science and Technology (YunTech; Chinese: 國立雲林科技大學) is a research-intensive technical university in Yunlin County, Taiwan. Founded in 1991, YunTech has approximately 9500 students of whom are 63 percent undergraduates and 37 percent postgraduates. The students are spread across four colleges: Engineering, Management, Design, and Humanities and Applied Sciences. These four colleges account for 20 undergraduate, 29 master’s and 12 doctoral programs. Among the 344 distinguished faculty of the university, over 85 percent hold doctoral degrees and 94 percent have reached an associate professor’s position or above. More than 80 percent of the faculty has extensive experience in industrial sectors.
Yuntech was ranked a most prestigious university in Taiwan, Mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau in 2011 by the Graduate School of Education at Shanghai Jiao Tong University. YunTech was ranked as the 51st most excellent university among the top universities across the Taiwan Strait. The YunTech also been Ranked among the top 10 most competitive universities nationwide, public and private, according to the “2011 University Evaluation” released by the Global Views and 104 Job Bank.
Located in Douliu, Yunlin, Central Taiwan, with access via highways and railway system, 226 km south of Taipei city, 141 km north of Kaohsiung city, 70.0 km south of Taichung City and 50.6 km west of Sun Moon Lake, YunTech occupies 60 hectares. The area surrounding the university was designed to host the county administrative buildings, including the County Government, County Council, County Constabulary, Indoor Arena, Art Exhibition Center, and Sports Park, etc. Parking lots are sufficiently provided for different vehicles such as cars, motorcycles, and bicycles. Monitoring systems, access control and regular patrol on campus are performed.
||This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (January 2010)|
- On May 19, 1988, the county government of Yunlin requested the Ministry of Education to provide land for National Yunlin Institute of Technology. The Yunlin County Government donated approximately 60 hectares of Taiwan Sugar Corporation land to the institute. Three hundred and fifty camphor trees were planted to commemorate this date.
- On August 1, 1989, the Ministry of Education appointed Dr. Wen-Shion Chang as the Director of the Preparatory Office of National Yunlin Institute of Technology. In the beginning, the institute hired approximately 100 scholars and experts from universities and the central government to form roughly twenty research teams. It took around one year to finish the research projects.
- On August 10, 1990, the ground-breaking ceremony was initiated.
- On Just 1, 1991, Dr. Wen-Shion Chang was appointed as the first dean of the college which consisted of eight four-session departments, including Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Industrial Management, Business Administration, Management Information Systems, Industrial Design, and Commercial Design. Simultaneously, graduates of vocational schools started enrolling as students.
- On September 25, 1991, 352 undergraduates from eight departments began their studies at the brand new campus. On September 26, 1991, the school held its opening ceremony for the first semester.
- In 1992, the two-year program began admitting junior college students to the Departments of Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Environmental and Safety Engineering, Industrial Management, Business Administration, Management Information Systems, Industrial Design, and Commercial Design.
- In 1993, approved by the Ministry of Education, Masters’ programs in Mechanical Engineering, Business Administration, and Industrial Engineering and Management were added. Masters’ programs in Industrial Design, Electrical Engineering, Electronic and Information Engineering, Management Information Systems, Interior Design, Chemical Engineering, Construction Engineering were also added.
- In 1994, the Masters’ programs in Environmental and Safety Engineering and Visual Communication were added. The Department of Commercial Design was renamed the Departmental of Visual Communication.
- In 1995, the two-year programs of Department of Finance Management and the two-year extension education programs of Management Information Systems and Finance Management were added. In addition, teacher education programs were opened to promote the growth of secondary school teachers and the development of professionals in business organizations.
- In 1996, the two-year program of Applied Foreign Languages was established, and students from the two-year extension education program were admitted.
- Originally named as National Yunlin Institute of Science and Technology, YunTech was renamed the National Yunlin University of Science and Technology on August 1, 1997. Since then, YunTech has worked diligently to develop a superb learning environment.
- In 1998, three new Masters' programs in Construction Engineering, Chemical Engineering, and Disaster Prevention were added along with a Doctoral program in Engineering Science and Technology.
- In 1999, the Doctoral program in Business Administration was established.
- In 2000, the university instituted the following programs: Doctoral program in Design, Masters’ programs in Technological and Vocational Education, Finance Management and Applied Foreign Languages, two undergraduate programs including Construction Engineering and Applied Foreign Languages, and four extension education programs leading to master's degrees in Management Information System, Management Administration, Industrial Management and Cultural Heritage Conservation.
- In 2001, the following programs were added: Masters’ programs in Chinese Studies and Leisure and Exercise Studies, four-year programs in the Department of Environmental Safety Engineering and the Department of Finance. The Department of Accounting was also added.
- On August 1, 2001, Dr. Tsong-Ming Lin succeeded Dr. Wen-Shion Chang as the president of YunTech.
- In 2002, the Ministry of Education approved doctoral programs in Industrial Engineering Management and Chemical Engineering, and master program in Information Management.
- In 2003, the Ministry of Education approved to establish Graduate School of Science and Technological Law, Digital Media Design Department, Graduate School of Optoelectronics, master program in Accounting, and doctoral program in Information Management.
- In 2004, Department of Electronic Engineering received accreditation from the Institute of Engineering Education Taiwan (IEET) in April. In May, the Ministry of Education approved Graduate School of Global Logistics Management, and master program in Disaster prevention and Environmental Engineering.
- In 2005, YunTech joined worldwide「Physics Enlightens the World」 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Einstein’s death on April 18. In May, YunTech hosted 「2005 SouthEast Asian Vocational Education International Conference」. The Ministry of Education approved to establish doctoral program in Financial management department, master program in Communication Engineering, and Creative Design Department.
- On February 15, 2009, Dr. Yeong-Bin Yang took office as the third president of YunTech. Former president Tsong-Ming Lin was appointed as Vice Minister of Ministry of Education, Republic of China.
- On February 16, 2013, Dr. Chun-Kan Hou succeeded Dr. Yang as the fourth President of YunTech.
- Wen-Shion Chang from 1991 to 2001
- Tsong-Ming Lin from 2001 to 2009
- Yeong-Bin Yang from 2009 to 2013
- Chun-Kan Hou from 2013 to present
Situated in Douliou with a campus that spreads out over 58 hectares landscaped with trees, flowers and green lawns, YunTech is a model green university in Taiwan. 8 artistic works are placed around the campus. The Art Center of YunTech periodically holds exhibitions to build an art learning environment. The library totals 16,529 square meters and already has 1,750,000 volumes in its collection which include journals in Chinese and other languages, e-database and e-learning resources. It also includes online databases in all subject areas for technological universities nationwide. With 15 hectares of recreation space and providing complete facilities on campus, YunTech has held the National Universiade Sport Games in both 2006 and 2014.
The university comprises four colleges: Engineering, Management, Design, and Humanities and Applied Sciences. These four colleges account for 20 undergraduate, 29 master’s and 12 doctoral programs. Each of the colleges includes additional subject-specific research institutes.
Yuntech has been creating an environment that is international in character – in teaching, in research, in outreach, many international exchanges and cooperation with overseas counterparts have been under way. Initiatives such as building overseas partner universities, conducting bilateral co-research projects, offering exchange programs for students and scholars, and promoting mutual visits of educational personnel and scholars have been taken to enhance reciprocal relationships and development among YunTech and overseas universities. As of June, 2014, the university had 90 academic exchange agreements in 14 countries and regions, partnership agreements with 205 universities in 27 countries and regions
Awards and recognition
||This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (January 2010)|
- Department of Visual Communication Design Wins Gold at Croatian One Minute Film Festival
- YunTech wins Awards at Korea International Women’s Invention Exposition 2013
- YunTech wins 3 Gold, 2 Silver and 1 Bronze Medal at the 2013 Macau International Innovation & Invention Expo
- Easy Plug in the Top 10 for the Concept Award by iF Design
- Department of Industrial Design Wins 3 Medals at 42nd WorldSkills Competition
- YunTech is Honored with 3 Awards at Red Dot Design Awards
- YunTech Snares a Gold Medal worth a Bonus of NT. 120,000 at the Yacht Design Competition-YDC Awards
- Teams Grouped by Different Departments are Honored with 4 Medals for their Intelligent Electronic Design Aesthetics Performance
- YunTech is Honored with a Guineness World Record for its Compass
- YunTech gets 5 Gold and 3 Silver Medals at the 2013 International Warsaw Invention Show
- YunTech Wins 2 Gold and 1 Silver Medals at the Nuremberg International Invention Exhibition in 2013
- YunTech is gets with 2 Gold and 2 Silver Awards at the 2013 Tokyo International Innovation
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Yunlin University of Science and Technology.|
- National Yunlin University of Science and Technology Official Site (English)
- National Yunlin University of Science and Technology Location