National Yunlin University of Science and Technology
|Motto||誠 敬 恆 新|
Motto in English
|Sincerity, Honor, Perseverance, Originality|
|Location||123 University Road, Section 3, Douliu City, Yunlin County, Taiwan|
|National Yunlin University of Science and Technology|
National Yunlin University of Science and Technology (YunTech; Chinese: 國立雲林科技大學) is one of the top research-intensive technical university in Taiwan. Founded in 1991, National Yunlin University of Science and Technology (YunTech) has become a university paradigm for other technological universities nationwide. YunTech has approximately 9500 students of whom are 63 percent undergraduates and 37 percent postgraduates. The students are spread across four colleges:Engineering, Management, Design, and Humanities and Applied Sciences. These four colleges account for 20 undergraduate, 29 master’s and 12 doctoral programs. Among the 344 distinguished faculty of the university, over 85 percent hold doctoral degrees and 94 percent have reached an associate professor’s position or above. More than 80 percent of the faculty has extensive experience in industrial sectors. Yuntech was ranked a most excellent university in Taiwan, Mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau in 2011 by Graduate School of Education at Shanghai Jiao Tong University. YunTech was ranked as the 51st most excellent university among the top universities across the Taiwan Strait. The YunTech also been Ranked among the top 10 most competitive universities nationwide, public and private, according to the “2011 University Evaluation” released by the Global Views and 104 Job Bank
Located in Douliou, Yunlin, Central Taiwan, with access via highways and railway system, 226 km south of Taipei city, 141 km north of Kaohsiung city, 70.0 km south of Taichung City and 50.6 km west of Sun Moon Lake, YunTech is characterized by its spacious and scenic campus and artistic buildings that occupy 60 hectares. The area surrounding the university was designed to host the county administrative buildings, including the County Government, County Council, County Constabulary, Indoor Arena, Art Exhibition Center, and Sports Park, etc.
The school campus is sustainable and compatible with the nature. Buildings and facilities are built to be humanistic, offering an open and friendly study environment. Parking lots are sufficiently provided for different vehicles such as cars, motorcycles, and bicycles. Monitoring systems, access control and regular patrol on campus are performed.
||This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (January 2010)|
On November 27, 2012, YunTech celebrated its 22th[clarification needed] anniversary. Emerged from a barren land, YunTech has become an institution of higher education. Its story dates back to 1988.
- On May 19, 1988, the county government of Yunlin requested the Ministry of Education to provide land for National Yunlin Institute of Technology. The Yunlin County Government donated approximately 60 hectares of Taiwan Sugar Corporation land to the institute. Three hundred and fifty camphor trees were planted to commemorate this date.
- On August 1, 1989, the Ministry of Education appointed Dr. Wen-Shion Chang as the Director of the Preparatory Office of National Yunlin Institute of Technology. In the beginning, the institute hired approximately 100 scholars and experts from universities and the central government to form roughly twenty research teams. It took around one year to finish the research projects.
- On August 10, 1990, the ground-breaking ceremony was initiated.
- On Just 1, 1991, Dr. Wen-Shion Chang was appointed as the first dean of the college which consisted of eight four-session departments, including Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Industrial Management, Business Administration, Management Information Systems, Industrial Design, and Commercial Design. Simultaneously, graduates of vocational schools started enrolling as students.
- On September 25, 1991, 352 undergraduates from eight departments began their studies at the brand new campus. On September 26, 1991, the school held its opening ceremony for the first semester.
- In 1992, the two-year program began admitting junior college students to the Departments of Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Environmental and Safety Engineering, Industrial Management, Business Administration, Management Information Systems, Industrial Design, and Commercial Design.
- In 1993, approved by the Ministry of Education, Masters’ programs in Mechanical Engineering, Business Administration, and Industrial Engineering and Management were added. Masters’ programs in Industrial Design, Electrical Engineering, Electronic and Information Engineering, Management Information Systems, Interior Design, Chemical Engineering, Construction Engineering were also added.
- In 1994, the Masters’ programs in Environmental and Safety Engineering and Visual Communication were added. The Department of Commercial Design was renamed the Departmental of Visual Communication.
- In 1995, the two-year programs of Department of Finance Management and the two-year extension education programs of Management Information Systems and Finance Management were added. In addition, teacher education programs were opened to promote the growth of secondary school teachers and the development of professionals in business organizations.
- In 1996, the two-year program of Applied Foreign Languages was established, and students from the two-year extension education program were admitted.
- Originally named as National Yunlin Institute of Science and Technology, YunTech was renamed the National Yunlin University of Science and Technology on August 1, 1997. Since then, YunTech has worked diligently to develop a superb learning environment.
- In 1998, three new Masters' programs in Construction Engineering, Chemical Engineering, and Disaster Prevention were added along with a Doctoral program in Engineering Science and Technology.
- In 1999, the Doctoral program in Business Administration was established.
- In 2000, the university instituted the following programs: Doctoral program in Design, Masters’ programs in Technological and Vocational Education, Finance Management and Applied Foreign Languages, two undergraduate programs including Construction Engineering and Applied Foreign Languages, and four extension education programs leading to master's degrees in Management Information System, Management Administration, Industrial Management and Cultural Heritage Conservation.
- In 2001, the following programs were added: Masters’ programs in Chinese Studies and Leisure and Exercise Studies, four-year programs in the Department of Environmental Safety Engineering and the Department of Finance. The Department of Accounting was also added.
- On August 1, 2001, Dr. Tsong-Ming Lin succeeded Dr. Wen-Shion Chang as the president of YunTech.
- In 2002, the Ministry of Education approved doctoral programs in Industrial Engineering Management and Chemical Engineering, and master program in Information Management.
- In 2003, the Ministry of Education approved to establish Graduate School of Science and Technological Law, Digital Media Design Department, Graduate School of Optoelectronics, master program in Accounting, and doctoral program in Information Management.
- In 2004, Department of Electronic Engineering received accreditation from the Institute of Engineering Education Taiwan (IEET) in April. In May, the Ministry of Education approved Graduate School of Global Logistics Management, and master program in Disaster prevention and Environmental Engineering.
- In 2005, YunTech joined worldwide「Physics Enlightens the World」 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Einstein’s death on April 18. In May, YunTech hosted 「2005 SouthEast Asian Vocational Education International Conference」. The Ministry of Education approved to establish doctoral program in Financial management department, master program in Communication Engineering, and Creative Design Department.
- On February 15, 2009, Dr. Yeong-Bin Yang took office as the third president of YunTech. Former president Tsong-Ming Lin was appointed as Vice Minister of Ministry of Education, Republic of China.
- On February 16, 2013, Dr. Chun-Kan Hou succeeded Dr. Yang as the fourth President of YunTech.
- Wen-Shion Chang from 1991 to 2001
- Tsong-Ming Lin from 2001 to2009
- Yeong-Bin Yang from 2009 to 2013
- Chun-Kan Hou] from 2013 to present
Situated in Douliou with a campus that spreads out over 58 hectares landscaped with trees, flowers and green lawns, YunTech is a model green university in Taiwan. 8 artistic works are placed around the campus. The Art Center of YunTech periodically holds exhibitions to build an art learning environment. The library totals 16,529 square meters and already has 1,750,000 volumes in its collection which include journals in Chinese and other languages, e-database and e-learning resources. It also includes online databases in all subject areas for technological universities nationwide. With 15 hectares of recreation space and providing complete facilities on campus, YunTech has held the National Universiade Sport Games in both 2006 and 2014.
||This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (January 2010)|
- Department of Visual Communication Design Wins Gold at Croatian One Minute Film Festival
- YunTech wins Awards at Korea International Women’s Invention Exposition 2013
- YunTech wins 3 Gold, 2 Silver and 1 Bronze Medal at the 2013 Macau International Innovation & Invention Expo
- Easy Plug in the Top 10 for the Concept Award by iF Design
- Department of Industrial Design Wins 3 Medals at 42nd WorldSkills Competition
- YunTech is Honored with 3 Awards at Red Dot Design Awards
- YunTech Snares a Gold Medal worth a Bonus of NT. 120,000 at the Yacht Design Competition-YDC Awards
- Teams Grouped by Different Departments are Honored with 4 Medals for their Intelligent Electronic Design Aesthetics Performance
- YunTech is Honored with a Guineness World Record for its Compass
- YunTech gets 5 Gold and 3 Silver Medals at the 2013 International Warsaw Invention Show
- YunTech Wins 2 Gold and 1 Silver Medals at the Nuremberg International Invention Exhibition in 2013
- YunTech is gets with 2 Gold and 2 Silver Awards at the 2013 Tokyo International Innovation
Colleges and departments
- Graduate School of Engineering Science and Technology
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Graduate School of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Institute of Communications Engineering
- Department of Electronic Engineering
- Graduate School of Optoelectronics
- Department of Safety Health and Environmental Engineering
- Graduate School of Disaster Prevention and Environmental Engineering
- Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering
- Department of Construction Engineering
- Graduate School of Construction and Property Management
- Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering
- Research Center for Soil and Water Resources and Natural Disaster Prevention (SWAN)
- Center for Advanced Processing and Analysis
- Research Center for Industrial Pollution Prevention
- Service Center for Construction Technology and Materials
- Advanced Master of Business Management
- Graduate School of Management
- Undergraduate Degree Program of International Project Management
- Department of Industrial Management
- Graduate School of Global Operations Strategy and Logistics Management
- Graduate School of Health and Management
- Department of Business Administration
- Graduate School of International Business
- Department of Information Management
- Department of Finance
- Department of Accounting
- Graduate School of Design Doctoral Program
- Department of Industrial Design
- Department of Architecture and Interior Design
- Department of Visual Communication Design
- Department of Digital Media Design
- Department of Creative Design
- Graduate School of Cross-Cultural Design
- Design led Innovation Center
- The Development Center of Cultural and Creative Industries
- The Original Creative Center
- Graduate School of Technical and Vocation Education
- Graduate School of Chinese Studies
- Graduate School of Science and Technology Law
- Graduate School of Leisure and Exercise Studies
- Department of Cultural Heritage Conservation
- Department of Applied Foreign Languages
- Graduate School of Materials Science
- Technology Center for Teacher Education
- General Education Center
Yuntech has been creating an environment that is international in character – in teaching, in research, in outreach, many international exchanges and cooperation with overseas counterparts have been under way. Initiatives such as building overseas partner universities, conducting bilateral co-research projects, offering exchange programs for students and scholars, and promoting mutual visits of educational personnel and scholars have been taken to enhance reciprocal relationships and development among YunTech and overseas universities. As of June, 2014, we have had 90 academic exchange agreements in 14 countries and regions, partnership agreements with 205 universities in 27 countries and regions
- National Yunlin University of Science and Technology Official Site (English)
- National Yunlin University of Science and Technology Location