Solar power in Turkey
Turkey is located in an advantageous position in Europe for solar energy. Compared to the rest of Europe, insolation values are higher and conditions for solar power generation are comparable to Spain. The government is aiming for at least 3 gigawatts (GW) by 2023.
- The annual average total insolation duration is 2640 hours (7.2 hours per day).
- Average annual solar radiation is 1311 kW·h/(m²·yr) or 3.6 kW·h/(m²·d).
Covering one half of one percent of the land area of Turkey with solar panels would be sufficient to generate all of the electricity used.
Policies, laws and incentives
Solar energy sources are covered by this law, which decrees that facilities which generate electricity from renewable energy sources will be granted a renewable energy resources certificate (RER Certificate) which will entitle such facilities to benefit from the incentives provided by the Law. EMRA is the competent authority to grant the RER Certificates.
Systems producing over 1-megawatt (MW) of energy must be licensed, but only if they feed into the grid. Such licences often become mired in the bureacracy which is meant to ensure the grid can cope. 
Turkey has a fair feed in tariff. Turkey is already at grid parity for private households and commercial users. In the coming years solar energy will be feasible without any feed-in-tariff mechanism.
Heating and hot water
The main solar energy utilizations in Turkey are the flat-plate collectors in domestic hot water systems. Turkey is one of the leading countries in the world with a total installed capacity of 10 GWth as of 2011 (129 kWth /1,000 inhabitants)
The industry is well developed with high quality manufacturing and export capacity. The number of companies is around 100 and annual manufacturing capacity is 750,000 m².
Photovoltaics (PV) are expected to grow dramatically in the next few years. Chinese companies are investing. Solar power plants are manufactured in Turkey and also a prototype dye-sensitized solar cell production plant is to be set up.
|Year||Installed||Total (MWp)||Generated (GWh)|
Concentrated Solar Power
- "Using Solar Energy Sources To Generate Electricity In Turkey".
- Renewable Energy Law
- "Turkey Photovoltaic (Solar PV) Market: Outlook 2014 - 2025".
- "SOLAR HEAT WORLDWIDE 2011".
- "Solar Power Surges On Turkish Policy Backing".
- "CHINESE INVEST IN TURKISH SOLAR ENERGY". Sabah.
- "Dye Solar Cell Manufacturer Dyesol To Develop Prototype Manufacturing Facility In Turkey".
- Trends Report 2010
- Trends Report 2008
- Trends Report 2009
- Global Market Outlook for Photovoltaics 2013-2017
- "Global Market Outlook for Photovoltaics 2014-2018" (PDF). www.epia.org. EPIA - European Photovoltaic Industry Association. p. 24. Archived from the original on 12 June 2014. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- "Solar tower at Mersin". Hurriet.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Solar energy in Turkey.|
- Turkish Electric Power
- What is Solar Power
- Solar Maps of Turkey
- Turkish Hi-tech enterprise Solar Manufacturer
- Turkey's Established Solar Power Company
- Edessa Solar Project
- Greenway Mersin CSP Tower Plant