Columbia County, Arkansas
|Columbia County, Arkansas|
Columbia County Courthouse in Magnolia, Arkansas
Location in the state of Arkansas
Arkansas's location in the U.S.
|Founded||December 17, 1852|
|• Total||766.86 sq mi (1,986 km2)|
|• Land||766.11 sq mi (1,984 km2)|
|• Water||0.75 sq mi (2 km2), 0.10%|
|• Density||32/sq mi (12.3/km²)|
Columbia County is a county located in the U.S. state of Arkansas. As of 2010, the population was 24,552. The county seat is Magnolia. Columbia County was formed on December 17, 1852, and was named for Christopher Columbus. It is an alcohol prohibition or dry county.
The Magnolia Micropolitan Statistical Area includes all of Columbia County.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 766.86 square miles (1,986.2 km2), of which 766.11 square miles (1,984.2 km2) (or 99.90%) is land and 0.75 square miles (1.9 km2) (or 0.10%) is water. Columbia County is in South Arkansas. Columbia County, along with Union County, is home to the largest Bromine reserve in the United States.
- Nevada County (north)
- Ouachita County (northeast)
- Union County (east)
- Claiborne Parish, Louisiana (southeast)
- Webster Parish, Louisiana (south)
- Lafayette County (west)
As of the census of 2000, there were 25,603 people, 9,981 households, and 6,747 families residing in the county. The population density was 33 people per square mile (13/km²). There were 11,566 housing units at an average density of 15 per square mile (6/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 62.08% White, 36.06% Black or African American, 0.26% Native American, 0.34% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.46% from other races, and 0.77% from two or more races. 1.05% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 9,981 households out of which 30.10% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.90% were married couples living together, 15.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.40% were non-families. 29.20% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.80% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.10% under the age of 18, 12.30% from 18 to 24, 25.30% from 25 to 44, 21.40% from 45 to 64, and 15.90% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 90.90 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.70 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $27,640, and the median income for a family was $36,271. Males had a median income of $31,313 versus $20,099 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,322. About 15.80% of families and 21.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 28.70% of those under age 18 and 20.00% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
Townships in Arkansas are the divisions of a county. Each township includes unincorporated areas and some may have incorporated towns or cities within part of their space. Townships have limited purposes in modern times. However, the US Census does list Arkansas population based on townships (often referred to as "minor civil divisions"). Townships are also of value for historical purposes in terms of genealogical research. Each town or city is within one or more townships in an Arkansas county based on census maps. The townships of Columbia County are listed below with the town(s) and/or city that are fully or partially inside them listed in parentheses. 
- Emerson (Emerson)
- McNeil (McNeil, small part of Magnolia)
- Magnolia (most of Magnolia)
- Taylor (Taylor)
- Waldo (Waldo)
- List of lakes in Columbia County, Arkansas
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Columbia County, Arkansas
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- FAA Airport Master Record for AGO ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective 11 February 2010.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved July 3, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Census.gov. Retrieved July 3, 2013.
- Based on 2000 census data
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- US Census Bureau. 2011 Boundary and Annexation Survey (BAS): Columbia County, AR (Map). http://www2.census.gov/geo/pvs/bas/bas11/st05_ar/cou/c05027_columbia/BAS11C20502700000_000.pdf. Retrieved 20110806.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008)|
||Nevada County||Ouachita County|
|Lafayette County||Union County|
|Webster Parish, Louisiana||Claiborne Parish, Louisiana|