|IATA: none – ICAO:
|Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Location||Kushinagar, Gorakhpur, India|
|Elevation AMSL||266 ft / 81 m|
Kushinagar Airport or Kasia Airport is situated near Kasia in Kushinagar district in Uttar Pradesh, India. It is near an important Buddhist pilgrimage site, where Gautama Buddha has attained Parinirvana after his death. The airstrip spans 97 acres, has a small apron of 145 metres by 46 metres and handles small aircraft.
Kushinagar International Airport
An international airport will developed on PPP model at Kushinagar. The project is estimated to cost Rs.354 Crores. The central Governament has agreed to a Viability gap funding (VGF) of 20% and the state government has also committed to bear 20 percent cost of the project. The government has acquired 550 acres of land for this project at a cost of Rs 180 crores. The pre-existing runway is being aumented to 3,200 meters to handle 747 flights expected from Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Korea, China, Thailand, Sri Lanka, and Japan and cater the entire region spread across Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Nepal. According to sources in union government it would be the biggest airport in eastern Uttar Pradesh, even bigger than the existing airports at Varanasi, Patna and Bodh Gaya. This airport is situated 52km east from Gorakhpur City.
The State Governament selected IL&FS Infrastructure Development Company Limited as project consultants. The project got an "In Principle Approval” from the Ministry of Civil Aviation (India) in September 2010. The government received 15 technical bids from reputed infrastructure companies for development of the airport in 2013. The state Cabinet cleared the project and approved the financial bid document in January 2014.
- "Kushinagar international airport project to get wings". Business Standard. 17 January 2014. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- "Project Information Memorandum" (PDF). Government of Uttar Pradesh. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- "Kushinagar international airport to get ready for take-off". Business Standard. January 7, 2013.
- "Kushinagar airport to be a boon for migrant labourers". The Times Of India, Shailvee Sharda, TNN Feb 23, 2013, 03.53AM IST.
- "15 bids infuse new life into Kushinagar airport project". Hindustan Times. 23 February 2013. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
|This article about an airport in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|