Spirit River, Alberta
|Town of Spirit River|
|Municipal district||Municipal District of Spirit River No. 133|
|• Mayor||Allan J. Georget|
|• Governing body||Spirit River Town Council|
|• Total||2.81 km2 (1.08 sq mi)|
|Elevation||640 m (2,100 ft)|
|• Density||365.4/km2 (946/sq mi)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC-7)|
Spirit River is a town in northern Alberta, Canada. It is located 78 km (48 mi) north of Grande Prairie at the junction of Highway 49 and Highway 731. The first school opened in 1910 and the railroad arrived in 1916.
In the 2011 Census, the Town of Spirit River had a population of 1,025 living in 425 of its 471 total dwellings, a -10.7% change from its 2006 population of 1,148. With a land area of 2.81 km2 (1.08 sq mi), it had a population density of 364.8/km2 (944.7/sq mi) in 2011.
In 2006, Spirit River had a:
- population of 1,148 living in 466 dwellings (a 4.4% increase from 2001),
- a land area of 2.81 km2 (1.08 sq mi), and
- a population density of 409.2 /km2 (1,060 /sq mi).
The town is home to the Spirit River and District Museum.
The Municipal District of Spirit River No. 133's municipal office is located in Spirit River. It is also home to the Peace-Wapiti School Board and provincial offices for Alberta Agriculture.
A paved airport accommodates medical emergency flights and private aircraft.
- Health care
Spirit River is home to a hospital.
The town is home to two schools – St. Marie Catholic School and Spirit River Regional Academy.
- "Municipal Officials Search". Alberta Municipal Affairs. July 4, 2014. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2011 and 2006 censuses (Alberta)". Statistics Canada. 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- "Alberta Private Sewage Systems 2009 Standard of Practice Handbook: Appendix A.3 Alberta Design Data (A.3.A. Alberta Climate Design Data by Town)" (PDF). Safety Codes Council. January 2012. pp. 212–215 (PDF pages 226–229). Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- Spirit River History Book Committee (1989). Chepi sepe : Spirit River : the land, the people. p. 16. ISBN 0-88925-781-7.
- Statistics Canada (Census 2006). "Spirit River - Community Profile". Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- "Spirit River and District Museum". Retrieved 2012-08-02.