Civic movement «Vidsich» (Ukrainian: Відсіч, Rebuff) is an active Ukrainian nonviolent social movement created in 2010 as a reaction to the policies of Victor Yanukovich and "pro-Russian" tendencies connected with his presidential administration. Vidsich focuses on a proactive defense of human rights, civil liberties and constitutional freedoms.
Vidsich unites activists who are convinced that people cannot be neutral with regard to the political and social situation in Ukraine. Vidsich's aim is in creating a strong national movement which can protect the interests of Ukrainians and Ukraine in general.
After the 2010 presidential elections, which were won by Victor Yanukovich, patriots and citizens, who would like to make a differ and previously had taken a part in protest campaigns decided to gather and discuss upcoming social and political situation in Ukraine, possible negative scenarios of events and threats, that could be expected from the new power. Friends, acquaintances, members of different organizations were invited at the gathering.
The meeting was appointed for February 20, 2010. This date is considers to be the Vidsich founding date, according to a decision of self-organization for further activity and sketched principles and directions for the movement's future functioning.
At Vidsich's founding were involved participants of previous resistance movements ("Granite revolution", "Ukraine without Kuchma" movement, civic committee "Za pravdu!" ("For truth"), civic campaign "Pora!" ("It's time"), etc.), as well as other conscious citizens.
Principles of the movement
- Absence of leaders
- No party affiliation / Non-partisan
- Consensus decision-making
Actions and protest campaigns
From the March 2010, civic movement «Vidsich» took part in hundreds of events (mostly street actions, warning strikes, sit down strikes, public hearings, round tables) in many cities of Ukraine, made either by ourselves, either in cooperation with other organizations).
Such as follows:
- «Campaign Against Tabachnyk» (Ukrainian: АнтиТабачна кампанія) - actions for protection of Ukrainian education and science from innovations of new Minister of education and science (Minister of education, science, youth and sports in future) Dmytro Tabachnyk, who already made a name by anti-Ukrainian, chauvinistic, xenophobic statements.
- Campaign «No to Police State» (Ukrainian: Ні поліцейській державі) – for impartial investigation and worthy punishment of those, who guilty in the case of Ihor Indylo student’s death, in other cases and against police abuse.[not in citation given]
- Campaign against 2450 bill, which would significantly decrease the freedom of peaceful assembly, and for «Peaceful protest».[not in citation given]
- Also, solidarity actions with Russian, and Belorussian[not in citation given] people, who fight for their rights for peaceful assembly in their countries, were held.
- Campaign «Start the work, stop the talk!» (Ukrainian: Займіться ділом, а не язиком!) – against new bills «On languages in Ukraine» #1015-3, «On the principles of the state language policy» #9073 and it’s modifications (main: Legislation on languages in Ukraine), which would promote the «language» conflicts and strengthen the tense in the society and push away Ukrainian language from the areas of life and activity of Ukrainians.
- Campaign «Against education degradation» (Ukrainian: Проти деградації освіти) – against adoption of the Bill on "Higher education" (#7486-1, #9655 and else), which lower and violate student rights, their social protection, promote corruption exacerbation in educational facilities, etc.
- Organisation of protests against Tax code, which forced government to fold the immediate adoption, (it was adopted later with editing) as well as refuse the idea of swift embranchment of Housing, Labour, Pension Codes.
- Actions against censorship and for freedom of speech, in particular - against frequency lowering for channels «5» and «TVi», «STB», and for the memory of dead journalists since Ukraine independence.
- Campaign for commemoration of the famine genocide Holodomor victims of 1932-1933, promotion of rename the toponyms, which cares the names of organizers and executors of genocide.
- Campaign «Do not buy Russian!» it's campaign of boycott of Russian goods after start trade blockade against Ukraine by Russia, started in August 2013.
- Participation in «Euromaidan», including the organization of student strikes, campaign of boycott Party of Regions and self-defense security forces in Kyiv.
Also, CM «Vidsich» was an organizer or a participant in actions: of solidarity actions with Gorky park defenders; against Black Sea fleet of Russian Federation being on Ukraine's territory; for defending Ukrainian translation of the foreign movies; against persecution of historians and history rewriting; for promotions of state symbols; «Easter together» (students of the south and east of Ukraine staying in the families of their age-mates in the city of Lviv); Against museum throw-away from Lavra; «Ukrainian broadcast - on air!»; against Mazepa street rename; in memory of 66 anniversary of Crimean Tatars deportation; «Ruined Khreshchatyk - we remember!»; «Doughnuts for Donetsk region people» (Ukrainian: Пампухи для донеччан); collection of signatures for restoration of traffic of some suburban trains and actions against made-up ticket deficit in cash desks of Ukrzaliznytsya (Ukrainian railroads); students «arms» demonstration; creative action of protest against «tour» bill #8757 and else activities.
- Розібратися як помирав студент Індило
- Деякі факти міліцейського свавілля за 2011 рік
- Armenia Azerbaijan Belarus Georgia Moldova Ukraine (15 June 2010). "Protests against plans to limit civil liberties in Ukraine". Easternpartnership.org. Retrieved 24 January 2012.
- "Ukraine’s Parliament may restrict the right to hold meetings". Helsinki.org.ua. 17 May 2010. Retrieved 24 January 2012.
- Всеукраїнська ініціатива “За мирний протест!”
- Сьогодні біля посольства Російської Федерації пройшла акція протесту і солідарності
- "Лента за лентою. Україно, мовчи!"
- 20-го липня біля білоруської амбасади українці провели акцію на підтримку білоруського народу.
- "Protest against draft law on languages held in Kyiv". Photo.ukrinform.ua. Retrieved 24 January 2012.
- "The students were protesting against the degradation of education". Yellowpage.in.ua. Retrieved 24 January 2012.
- "The draft law on education actively promoted by the government will make colleges and universities completely dependent on the Education Ministry". Ukrainian Week. Retrieved 24 January 2012.
- "Lviv students protest against educational policy". Photo.ukrinform.ua. Retrieved 24 January 2012.
- "Protest action held outside Kyiv administrative court of appeals". Photo.ukrinform.ua. Retrieved 24 January 2012.
- Блокування університетів: як воно відбувається і до чого приводить? Тарас Саламанюк. Корреспондент. 06.12.2013 (ukr.)
- Українські студенти підтримали Євромайдан. У Києві та регіонах - страйки — NEWSru.ua, 26 листопада 2013
- Студентський Євромайдан: КРОВ і ГРІМ — ZN.UA, 6 грудня 2013
- Активісти закликають студентів записуватись до "Студентської сотні" — День, 11 грудня 2013
- Активісти Євромайдану вчора пікетували «Епіцентр» на Воскресенці. ФОТО. Ні корупції. 03.02.2014
- На третій барикаді. Як тендітна дівчина керує "Нічною вартою" (спецпроект Механізм Майдану). Тексти. 13.01.2014
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vidsich.|