Westfield Stratford City
|Location||Stratford, London Borough of Newham, England|
|Opening date||13 September 2011|
|Owner||Westfield Group (50%)
CPP Investment Board (25%)
ABP Pension Fund (25%)
|No. of stores and services||300|
|No. of anchor tenants||3 (Marks & Spencer, John Lewis & Waitrose)|
|Total retail floor area||1,883,700 square feet (175,000 m2)|
|No. of floors||3 (Some shops have extra floors)|
Westfield Stratford City is a shopping centre in Stratford, London, owned by the Westfield Group. The centre opened on 13 September 2011. With a total retail floor area of 1,883,700 square feet (175,000 m2), it is one of the largest urban shopping centres in Europe. It is the third-largest shopping centre in the United Kingdom by retail space behind the MetroCentre and the Trafford Centre. Taking the surrounding shopping area into account, it is the largest urban shopping centre in the European Union in terms of size.
Westfield Stratford City is adjacent to the London Olympic Park, East Village, Stratford Regional and Stratford International stations. The shopping centre is part of a large multi-purpose development project called Stratford City. It is promoted as contributing significantly to the local economy, with the creation of up to 10,000 permanent jobs, including 2,001 jobs going to people in the local area. However there are counter-reports of the centre having a significantly negative impact on local businesses due to the preponderance of chain stores.
In July 2012, a number of banners welcoming shoppers were found to be translated incorrectly.
The shopping centre is anchored by a 240,000 sq ft (22,000 m2) John Lewis department store, a 32,000 sq ft (3,000 m2) Waitrose supermarket, a 136,000 sq ft (12,600 m2) Marks and Spencer department store, a 24 hour casino (Aspers) and a seventeen screen all-digital Vue cinema. The shopping centre also has a 267 room Premier Inn hotel, and another hotel with 350 rooms. The shopping centre has approximately 300 stores and 70 restaurants.
- London Underground: Central and Jubilee lines to Central London, Canary Wharf, Ealing Broadway, West Ruslip, Wembley Park and Stanmore.
- National Rail: London Overground, Greater Anglia and c2c to London Liverpool St, Ilford, Romford, Hertford East, Broxbourne, Cambridge, Harlow, Norwich, Clacton on Sea, Southend, Stansted Airport, Highbury & Islington, Willesden Junction, Clapham Junction and Richmond. Crossrail services planned to serve the station from 2017 to Central London, Shenfield, West London, Heathrow Airport and Berkshire.
- Docklands Light Railway: to Poplar, Canary Wharf, Lewisham, London City Airport, Beckton and Woolwich Arsenal.
- National Rail: Southeastern Highspeed to Ashford and the Kent Coast.
- Docklands Light Railway to London City Airport, Beckton and Woolwich
- London Buses routes: 25, 69, 86, 104, 108, 158, 238, 241, 257, 262, 276, 308, 425, 473, 678, N8 and N86 serve the station.
- National Express Coaches: routes 010 to Cambridge and A9 to Stansted Airport.
- London Buses routes: 97, 241, 339, 388, D8 & N205.
Westfield Stratford City Address Montfichet Road, Olympic Park, London, E20
According to a Westfield spokesperson, while the site supports a 5,000 space car park, 80% of the shoppers arrive at the centre with public transport.
Westfield Stratford City in popular culture
- "Westfield Group Press Release". Westfield UK. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "Westfield Group to Sell 50% Interest in Retail Component of Stratford City for £871.5 Million". CPP Investment Board. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- "Westfield Group Property Portfolio: Stratford City Overview". Westfield UK. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "Games gloom: Car park closure 'devastating'". The Guardian. 23 June 2012.
- "Press Toolkit". uk.westfield.com. Retrieved 7 September 2011.
- "Westfield John Lewis Tour". uk.westfield.com. Retrieved 7 September 2011.
- "Launch date announced for Mega Mall". thisisLondon. Retrieved 7 September 2011.
- "Westfield Stratford City: Opening date". uk.westfield.com. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- "£20m spent in first week at Westfield Stratford City - News". London24. 21 September 2011. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "New Olympic Westfield leaves local traders fighting for survival - Business - London Evening Standard". Standard.co.uk. 3 January 2012. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Cotter, Molly (29 September 2011). "Kinetic Energy Generating Pavegen Floor Tiles Will Harvest Footsteps to Light UK Shopping Center". http://inhabitat.com. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "BBC News - London 2012: Westfield Arabic banners 'incoherent'". Bbc.co.uk. 24 July 2012. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "Premier Inn News Release". Premier Inn.
- "Masterplan". uk.westfield.com. Retrieved 7 September 2011.
- "What's here". www.westfieldstratfordcity2011.com. Retrieved 7 September 2011.
- "Westfield Stratford City Sign Inditex Trio". uk.westfield.com. Retrieved 7 September 2011.
- "Buses from Stratford". Transport for London. February 2009. Retrieved 27 May 2009.
- "Night buses from Stratford". Transport for London. 2009. Retrieved 27 May 2009.
- "Route 678". London Bus Routes. 23 February 2009. Retrieved 27 May 2009.
- "Westfield Stratford City: Bridge over 11 live railway lines". uk.westfield.com. Retrieved 7 September 2011.
- "Olly Murs Shoots New Music Video At Westfield Stratford". Capital FM. 17 January 2012. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Westfield Stratford City.|
- Official Website
- Stratford City on The Retail Database
- “The Golden Temple” Featured Documentary on Westfield, Stratford and the Olympic Games, 2012