2019 in Bangladesh
|See also:||Other events of 2019|
List of years in Bangladesh
2019 (MMXIX) is the current year, and is a common year starting on Tuesday of the Gregorian calendar, the 2019th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 19th year of the 3rd millennium, the 19th year of the 21st century, and the 10th and last year of the 2010s decade.
- President: Abdul Hamid
- Prime Minister: Sheikh Hasina
- Chief Justice: Syed Mahmud Hossain
- Speaker of Jatiya Sangsad: Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury
- 3 January - Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and the ruling party Bangladesh Awami League takes oath for the 3rd consecutive term after victory at the 11th general election.
- 20 February - Fire broke out in Chowk Bazar which killed near 80 peoples with more 50+ injured.
- 25 February - An aircraft hijacker attempting to hijack a plane in Chittagong Airport is gunned to death in a rescue operation thus saving the plane carrying 142 passengers from being hijacked.
- 28 February -
- 11 March - DUCSU election held after 28 years.
- 19 March - 7 people including 4 law enforcement officials were shot dead in Rangamati district during violence in local elections. The army was deployed in the area to bring the situation under control.
- 30 March - The fourth fire of the year broke out on DNCC Market.
- 3 April - Two Bangladeshis Hussain M Elius and Abdullah Al Morshed featured in the honorary internationally acclaimed magazine Forbes.
- 18 April - The year's fifth notable fire breaks out at a market in Malibagh area. Due to better preparations the fire was brought under control quicker than the previous fires. No deaths were reported.
July and August
- 5 July - Famous Bangladeshi Cricketer and team Captain Mashrafe Bin Mortaza retires after losing to Pakistan in his final game, ending a lengthy prolific career of 18 years.
- 1 July to 31 August - Dengue outbreak in Bangladesh. Over 20,000 people infected by the mosquito-borne disease in all 64 districts since July. Improper cleansing of dirty water bodies have been blamed for high numbers of mosquito breeding. By August the number of infections crossed 50,000.
- 24 September - Various illegal casinos were raided across the country by the police force, in an effort to stop gambling which is banned in Bangladesh. Numerous gambling organizers were detained and taken to custody by the police.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (July 2019)
- January 3 - Sayed Ashraful Islam, Bangladeshi politician.
- January 22 - Ahmed Imtiaz Bulbul, Lyricist, Composer and Music director.
- February 15 - Al Mahmud, Poet, Novelist, and Short-story writer.
- February 28 - Shah Alamgir, journalist, DG of PIB.
- March 1 - Polan Sarkar, social activist.
- April 6 - Tele Samad, Bangladeshi film actor.
- July 14 – Hussain Muhammad Ershad, Bangladeshi politician, 11th President of Bangladesh (b. 1930)
- "11th parliament takes oath". dhakatribune.com.
- "Biman hijacker a criminal of N'ganj, Rab says". thedailystar.net.
- "Fire at Bhashantek slum doused, no casualties". Dhakatribune.com.
- "7 shot dead in Rangamati". The Daily Star. 2019-03-19. Retrieved 2019-04-28.
- Manik, Julfikar Ali (28 March 2019). "At Least 19 Die in Office Tower Fire in Dhaka, Bangladesh". The New York Times. Retrieved 28 March 2019.
- "DNCC Market fire: Fire shatters Yusuf's livelihood yet again". The Daily Star. 2019-03-30. Retrieved 2019-04-28.
- "2 Bangladeshis on Forbes 30 Under 30 list". The Daily Star. 2019-04-03. Retrieved 2019-04-28.
- "Malibagh kitchen market fire under control". The Daily Star. 2019-04-18. Retrieved 2019-04-28.
- "কৌতুক অভিনেতা টেলি সামাদ আর নেই | বিনোদন". ittefaq. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- Former Bangladesh military dictator Ershad dies at 89
- Media related to 2019 in Bangladesh at Wikimedia Commons