Acton GO Station
|Location||Eastern Ave, Acton, ON|
|Station code||GO Transit: ATGO|
|Opened||January 7, 2013|
Acton GO Station is a railway station served by GO Transit's Kitchener line. It is located at the intersection of Mill St East and Eastern Avenue in Acton, Ontario, Canada, adjacent to the Old Hide House. A previous Acton station formerly stood on the Grand Trunk Railway and, later, the Canadian National Railway.
The previous station building near this site in Acton had been constructed in 1908 by the Grand Trunk Railway with the origin of the line dating back to 1856. The line ultimately became part of the Canadian National Railway system and regular service to the town was discontinued in 1967. GO Trains had also stopped at the station for a brief time between 1990 and 1993.
The new Acton station was approved as part of the Georgetown-to-Kitchener Extension Environmental Assessment in 2009. In November 2010, a partial rollout of this plan was announced to be in place by late 2011. Two round trips daily were planned to serve Acton, Guelph and Kitchener with layover for those trains at a small facility in Kitchener. $18 million would be spent to get this first stage operational, with further upgrades to come. Service to Guelph and Kitchener began on December 19, 2011, but trains passed through Acton without stopping, as the Acton station was not ready.
- Jeffrey P. Smith. "CNR Ontario Stations: CNR Acton".
- Acton Grand Trunk Station
- Acton historical plaque
- R. J. Burnside and Associates, Ltd. (2009-07-13). "Georgetown to Kitchener Environmental Study Report". Retrieved 2010-11-21.
- Outhit, Jeff (13 November 2010). "GO trains to run from Kitchener to Toronto in 2011". Waterloo Region Record. Retrieved 14 November 2010.
- "GO station to be built in Acton". Guelph Mercury. 27 July 2012. Retrieved 27 July 2012.
- "Metrolinx fulfills its commitment to bring GO Trains to Acton" (Press release). Metrolinx. 2012-07-26. Retrieved 2012-08-29.
- "It's a GO for Acton Jan. 7". Independent Free Press. 13 December 2012. Retrieved 15 December 2012.
Media related to Acton GO Station at Wikimedia Commons