Stouffville GO Station
|Location||6176 Main St. W.
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Structure type||Historic station building|
|Station code||GO Transit: SVGO|
1982 GO Transit
Stouffville GO Station is a railway station in the GO Transit network located in Stouffville, Ontario in Canada. It was the terminus on the Stouffville line train service until the line was extended to Lincolnville on September 2, 2008. Buses serve the station from stops on the street due to space limitations.
The station site was expanded to include more parking in the west lot. Construction was completed in July 2005. The wheelchair-accessible mini-platform is available once again. An additional 60 surface parking spaces will be added to the station in June 2016.
The Toronto and Nipissing Railway was completed in 1871, connecting Stouffville and Uxbridge with Toronto. The line's north-eastern terminus at Coboconk, Ontario on Balsam Lake in the Kawarthas, was completed in 1872. In 1877, a second track was built from Stouffville north to Jackson's Point on Lake Simcoe. These connections were created in large part to provide a reliable and efficient means of transporting timber harvested and milled in these regions. Soon Stouffville Junction serviced thirty trains per day. The railway became the Grand Trunk Railway in 1884, and Canadian National Railways took over the line in 1914.
The original station, a converted Victorian home with annex, was demolished in 1980s and not replaced until the current station was built for GO Transit in the 1990s. The water tower had been removed earlier but discussions continue about the fate of the 1916 Stouffville Co-op Grain Elevator, which needs to be relocated for GO Transit expansion. In May 2015, the grain elevator was demolished and replaced with 20 parking spaces after Metrolinx determined it was a fire hazard due to its deteriorated condition. Local preservationists were upset over the bulldozing of the 100-year-old structure.
York Region Transit
- 9 9th Line eastbound to Parkview Village and westbound to Box Grove Plaza
- "Stouffville GO Station— TRAIN & BUS STATION". GO Transit. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "Stouffville Parking Expansion". GO Transit. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- Jean Barkey et al., Whitchurch Township (Erin, ON: Boston Mills, 1993), 97.
- A Brief History of Whitchurch-Stouffville (Part 3), Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville (official website).
- Jean Barkey, Stouffville, 1877-1977 (Stouffville, ON: Stouffville Historical Committee), 19; see also the detailed 1878 historical map: Township of Whitchurch, Illustrated historical atlas of the county of York and the township of West Gwillimbury & town of Bradford in the county of Simcoe, Ont. (Toronto: Miles & Co., 1878).
- Barkey, Stouffville, 1877-1977, 19.
- Sandra Bolan (Jul 24, 2014). "Stouffville, GO, MP at odds over elevator". Stouffville Sun-Tribune. Retrieved December 2014. Check date values in:
- Bolan, Sandra (May 14, 2015). "Little fanfare for demise of Stouffville elevator". Stouffville Sun-Tribune. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Route Navigator 9 9th Line" (PDF). York Region Transit. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- Media related to Stouffville GO Station at Wikimedia Commons
- GO Transit station page for Stouffville GO Station
- York-Durham Heritage Railway
- Stouffville Community Policing Centre