Airport Authority Hong Kong
|Headquarters||Hong Kong International Airport|
|Parent agency||Statutory body of the Government of Hong Kong|
|Website||Introduction: the Airport Authority Hong Kong|
|Airport Authority Hong Kong|
The Airport Authority Hong Kong (abbreviated as AA or AAHK) (Chinese: 香港機場管理局, abbreviated as 機管局) is the statutory body (governed by the Airport Authority Ordinance (Cap. 483)) of the government of Hong Kong that is responsible for the operations of the Hong Kong International Airport.
The authority was formed in 1995 (initially as the Provisional Airport Authority in 1990) through Airport Authority Ordinance and is independent of the government financially. There are plans to corporatise the AA and to list it on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and to partially sell it to the public.
On 17 January 2005, the AA acquired 49% stake of Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport, with HK$ 1.99 billion, compared to bids by Singapore Changi Airport, Copenhagen Airport, Houston International Airport and BAA plc. A new holding company of Xiaoshan Airport will be formed and be listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
On 17 February 2006, the AA confirmed it will hold 55% stake in a company that operates the Zhuhai Airport, with the remaining 45% owned by Zhuhai Airport. The company will not own the assets or the liabilities of the airport.
In March 2013 an airline passenger witnessed a suspected theft in the baggage reclaim hall of Chek Lap Kok Airport. He reported the theft to airport staff, who did nothing. The passenger then contacted the Airport Authority to enquire on the availability of CCTV footage of the incident. Airport Authority staff responded that the cameras were used only for real-time monitoring.
Legislative councillor Alice Mak asked for clarification on behalf of the passenger. It was revealed that the CCTV system does have a recording function. The AAHK added that "the staff concerned, who were not honest in this instance, have been suitably admonished".
The case was investigated by the Office of the Ombudsman, which released a report in January 2015. The report noted that the AAHK training material instructs staff to answer enquiries about CCTV with the response, "CCTVs are used for real time surveillance only", which is a lie. The Ombudsman alleged that "AA’s statement that the staff concerned were not honest was therefore grossly unfair" and that "we consider knowingly constructing a standard response which contains false information totally unacceptable." The Ombudsman considered the complaint against AAHK substantiated and recommended the authority review its CCTV policies and procedures and provide customer service training that "would not compromise the honesty and transparency of AA." The Airport Authority responded that the incident was isolated, and that it had implemented the recommendations made by the Ombudsman.
Under the administration of AAHK, Hong Kong International Airport received numerous awards.
- Airport of the Year - Skytrax (2001 to 2005; 2007-2008)
- Journalists' Choice Award - OAG Worldwide (January 1999)
- One of the Best Airports - Condé Nast Traveler (October 1999 issue)
- Asia's Best Airport - Asiaweek (2000)
- Asia's Best Airport - World Travel Awards (2000)
- Cargo Airport of the Year; Cargo Airport of the Year – Far East - Air Cargo News (2002-2003)
- Air Cargo Award of Excellence - Air Cargo World (2007-2010)
- World's Best Airport - Travel Trade Gazette (2003-2006)
- Eagle Award - IATA (2002)
- Special IATA Fuel Award - IATA (2004)
- "Airport Authority Ordinance" (PDF). Department of Justice, Hong Kong Government.
- "Complaint against Airport Authority for Mishandling Enquiries about CCTV System Executive Summary of Investigation Report" (PDF). Office of the Ombudsman. January 2015.
- "LCQ14: Airport security". Legislative Council. 4 December 2013.
- Sung, Timmy (27 January 2015). "Hong Kong airport bosses told staff to lie to passengers about CCTV footage". South China Morning Post.
- "First Anniversary of Hong Kong SAR". Hong Kong Government.
- "Our Business - The Airport - Awards & Recognition".
- "Our Business - The Airport - Air Cargo".