Airport Authority Hong Kong
|Headquarters||Hong Kong International Airport|
|Parent agency||Statutory body of the Government of Hong Kong|
|Website||Introduction: the Airport Authority Hong Kong|
|Airport Authority Hong Kong|
The Airport Authority Hong Kong (abbreviated as AA or AAHK) (Chinese: 香港機場管理局, abbreviated as 機管局) is the statutory body (governed by the Airport Authority Ordinance (Cap. 483)) of the government of Hong Kong that is responsible for the operations of the Hong Kong International Airport.
The authority was formed in 1995 (initially as the Provisional Airport Authority in 1990) through Airport Authority Ordinance and is independent of the government financially. There are plans to corporatise the AA and to list it on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and to partially sell it to the public.
On 17 January 2005, the AA acquired 49% stake of Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport, with HK$ 1.99 billion, compared to bids by Singapore Changi Airport, Copenhagen Airport, Houston International Airport and BAA plc. A new holding company of Xiaoshan Airport will be formed and be listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
On 17 February 2006, the AA confirmed it will hold 55% stake in a company that operates the Zhuhai Airport, with the remaining 45% owned by Zhuhai Airport. The company will not own the assets or the liabilities of the airport.
Under the administration of AAHK, Hong Kong International Airport received numerous awards.
- Airport of the Year - Skytrax (2001 to 2005; 2007-2008)
- Journalists' Choice Award - OAG Worldwide (January 1999)
- One of the Best Airports - Condé Nast Traveler (October 1999 issue)
- Asia's Best Airport - Asiaweek (2000)
- Asia's Best Airport - World Travel Awards (2000)
- Cargo Airport of the Year; Cargo Airport of the Year – Far East - Air Cargo News (2002-2003)
- Air Cargo Award of Excellence - Air Cargo World (2007-2010)
- World's Best Airport - Travel Trade Gazette (2003-2006)
- Eagle Award - IATA (2002)
- Special IATA Fuel Award - IATA (2004)
- "Airport Authority Ordinance" (PDF). Department of Justice, Hong Kong Government.
- "First Anniversary of Hong Kong SAR". Hong Kong Government.
- "Our Business - The Airport - Awards & Recognition".
- "Our Business - The Airport - Air Cargo".
- About the Airport Authority Hong Kong
- Press release of AA on the acquisition
- Press release of AA on AsiaWorld-Expo
- NetEase report on the acquisition
- Airport Authority Hong Kong EPS logo
- Press release of AA on the Terminal 2