Sir Syed Ahmad Khan launched the Aligarh Movement. The Aligarh Movement had its profound impact on the Indian society, particularly on the Muslim society compared to the other powerful but less adaptable movements of 19th century. It influenced a number of other contemporary movements to a great extent that it caused the emergence of other socio-religious movements during 19th century. The impact of Aligarh Movement was not confined to the Northern India only but its expansion could be seen on the other regions of the Indian sub-continent during 20th century.
The Aligarh Movement was the drive for modern Muslim education made a weighty and lasting contribution to the political emancipation of Indian Muslims.
The Aligarh Movement introduced a new trend in Urdu literature. Sir Syed Ahmad Khan and his association left the old style of writing in the Urdu language, which was rhetorical and academic, and started a simple style which helped Muslims to understand the main purpose of the movement.
The Aligarh Movement helped poets and writers to leave the romantic style of prose and poetry, and suggested the adoption of a moral, cultural, historical and political attitude which influenced the common life of the Indian Muslim. Urdu Defence Association is regarded as an offshoot of the Aligarh Movement.
Aligarh Muslim University is the creation of the movement.
- "Sir Syed Ahmed Khan and the Aligarh Movement". YourArticleLibrary.com: The Next Generation Library. Retrieved 2016-04-03.
- "shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in" (PDF). shodhganga. UGC.
- "Syed Ahmad Khan and Aligarh Movement". Jagranjosh.com. Retrieved 2016-04-07.
- "ENLIGHTENMENT AND ISLAM: SAYYID AHMAD KHAN'S PLEA TO INDIAN MUSLIMS FOR REASON" (PDF). ZMO.
- Brass, Paul R. (2005-01-01). Language, Religion and Politics in North India. iUniverse. ISBN 9780595343942.
- Dasgupta, Jyotirindra; Studies, University of California, Berkeley Center for South and Southeast Asia (1970-01-01). Language Conflict and National Development: Group Politics and National Language Policy in India. University of California Press. ISBN 9780520015906.
- Gill, Dr Nazir M. (2013-01-11). Development of Urdu language and Literature Under the Shadow Of The British in India: Under the Shadow Of The British in India. Xlibris Corporation. ISBN 9781479757947.