Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception (Fort Wayne, Indiana)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
As seen in November 2012
|Location||Jefferson and Calhoun St., Fort Wayne, Indiana|
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architect||Benoit, Rev. Msgr Julian|
|NRHP Reference #||80000048|
|Added to NRHP||October 23, 1980|
The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Fort Wayne, Indiana, is the primary cathedral of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend, headed by Most Rev. Kevin Carl Rhoades. The parish was established in 1836, making it the oldest in Fort Wayne. The church was erected in 1860.
The original church on what is now Cathedral Square was St. Mary's church (separate to the present-day St. Mary church in Fort Wayne), opened between 1834 and 1835. In 1840, Rev. Louis Mueller began construction on a new church, the Cathedral of St. Augustine. St. Augustine's served as the church until a fire destroyed it in 1859. In 1859-1860, Rev. Julian Benoit erected a third church and named it the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, in honor of the Blessed Virgin.:3 The Cathedral building still stands today, maintained through various renovations over the decades, the most recent by Schenkel and Sons, Inc.
The Cathedral grounds, called the Cathedral Square, includes the Chancery of the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend, MacDougal Chapel, Cathedral Center for C.C.D. classes (formerly the Cathedral Boys School), and the Rectory (the priests' residence), and the grave of the last Miami Indians chief, Joseph Richardville.:3 Recently, the Cathedral Museum housed in the basement of MacDougal Chapel and diocesan offices located in the Cathedral Center were moved to a new location a few blocks north of Cathedral Square.
- Pastor - Rev. Msgr. Robert C. Schulte. He has been the rector of the church and Vicar-General of the diocese since 1999.
- Associate pastors - Rev. Fr. Dale Bauman and Rev. Fr. Fernando Jimenez
- List of Catholic cathedrals in the United States
- List of cathedrals in the United States
- Roman Catholic Marian churches
- List of tallest buildings in Fort Wayne
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Indiana State Historic Architectural and Archaeological Research Database (SHAARD)" (Searchable database). Department of Natural Resources, Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology. Retrieved 2015-07-01. Note: This includes Ann Bley (September 1978). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form: Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception" (PDF). Retrieved 2015-07-01. and Accompanying photographs
|This article about a property in Allen County, Indiana on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|