|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010)|
An E231 series EMU on the Sobu-Chuo Line in central Tokyo, March 2008
|Locale||Tokyo, Chiba prefectures|
|Rolling stock||209-500 series, E231 series, E231-500 series, E231-800 series|
|Line length||60.2 km (37.4 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
|Electrification||1,500 V DC overhead catenary|
The Chūō-Sōbu Line (中央・総武緩行線 Chūō-Sōbu-kankō-sen?) is a railway line located in Tokyo and Chiba Prefecture, Japan. Part of the East Japan Railway Company (JR East) network, it operates on separate tracks along the right-of-way of the Chūō Main Line (Chūō Line (Rapid)) and Sōbu Main Line (Sōbu Line (Rapid)), providing service between Mitaka Station in the cities of Mitaka and Musashino and Chiba Station in Chiba.
The term Kankō (緩行 lit. "slow run"?) distinguishes local trains on the Chūō-Sōbu line from rapid service trains running on the Chūō Main Line between Mitaka and Ochanomizu and on the Sōbu Main Line between Kinshichō and Chiba.
- Except for certain limited express and seasonal trains, all local service trains stop at every station.
- For station information on the parallel rapid/express lines, see the Chūō Line (Rapid) and Sōbu Line (Rapid) articles.
- ●: All trains stop
- ■: Some trains pass
- ▲: All trains pass on weekends and holidays
- ｜: All trains pass
Trains used on the Chūō-Sōbu Line are based at Mitaka Depot.
- 209-500 series 10-car EMUs (yellow stripe) (since December 1998)
- E231-0 series 10-car EMUs (yellow stripe) (since February 2000)
- E231-500 series 10-car EMU (yellow stripe) (since 1 December 2014)
- E231-800 series 10-car EMUs (light blue stripe) (since 1 May 2003)
- E231-900 series 10-car EMU (yellow stripe) (since 27 March 1999 as 209-950 series)
Rolling stock used in the past
- 101 series EMUs (yellow livery) (from 1963 until November 1988)
- 103 series 10-car EMUs (yellow livery) (from 1979 until March 2001)
- 201 series 10-car EMUs (yellow livery) (from 1982 until November 2001)
- 205 series 10-car EMUs (yellow stripe) (from August 1989 until November 2001)
- 301 series 10-car EMUs (light blue stripe) (from 1966 until 2003)
201 series train (left) at Chiba Station, December 1998
The history of the Mitaka - Ochanomizu section is available via this link.
The History of the Ochanomizu - Chiba section is available via this link.
- JR首都圏通勤電車図鑑. Japan Railfan Magazine (Koyusha Co., Ltd.) 48 (570): 27. October 2008.
- 中央総武緩行線でE231系500番台が営業運転を開始 [E231-500 series enters revenue service on Chuo-Sobu Line]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 2 December 2014. Retrieved 2 December 2014.
- JR東日本 E231系800番代 5月1日に営業運転を開始 [JR East E231-800 series enters revenue service on 1 May]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō (Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun) 32 (231): 72. July 2003.
- 特集 209系 第２章へ [209 series - The second chapter]. Japan Railfan Magazine (Koyusha Co., Ltd.) 49 (576): p.9–47. April 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chūō-Sōbu Line.|
- Chūō-Sōbu Line (Japan Visitor) (English)