Chandigarh capital region
Chandigarh Capital Region (CCR) or Greater Chandigarh is an area, which includes the union territory city of Chandigarh, and its neighboring cities of Mohali, Zirakpur, Kharar, Kurali (in Punjab) and Panchkula (in Haryana). Chandigarh Administration, Greater Mohali Area Development Authority (GMADA) and HUDA Panchkula are different authorities responsible for development of this region.
The economy of the region is interdependent as the area is continuously inhibited, though falling under different states. There is lot of movement of people and goods daily to and from suburbs, like most of the people working in Chandigarh live in suburb like Zirakpur. The local industry is on the outskirts like Derabassi, Lalru and Baddi.
The Indian Ministry of Home Affairs asked the Chandigarh Administration in October 2011 to "coordinate with the Punjab and Haryana governments for working out the modalities" of a Regional Planning Board (RPB) for the Chandigarh Capital Region (CCR). The intention was to harmonize and improve facilities across the region and co-ordinate local administrations. Responsibilities of the RPB would include disaster management, health planning, biomedical waste and traffic management.
The 'Master Plan 2031' submitted to the UT administrator in January 2013 included a proposal for a "inter-state regional plan for the Chandigarh Capital Region". However the final plan confined itself to the UT boundary, and did not mention the proposed "Chandigarh Capital Region". Instead, the plan expected responsibilities for the region to be coordinated between Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh UT, and that the Chandigarh plan "with the GMADA Plan 2056 and the Haryana Development Plan should together arrive at a metropolitan plan".
Greater Mohali Area Development Authority (GMADA) has planned master plans for Mohali, New Chandigarh, Zirakpur, Derabassi, Kharar, Banur, Ropar, Rajpura and Fathegarh Sahib. While HUDA Panchkula has planned master plans for Panchkula, Pinjore-Kalka Urban Complex and Panchkula Extn-2. Chandigarh Metro project is underway to connect all parts.
The cities, towns and areas that would be part of Chandigarh Capital region and their population are:
|Rank||City||Union territory / State||Population (2011)|
Chandigarh IT Park is a technology park located within Chandigarh, with presence of companies like Dell, Quark and Infosys. Dera Bassi - Lalru is another belt with mostly medium industry, this place has many spinning mills including the Nahar group. Bhushan Steel also has a presence here. Hindustan Machine Tools has a tractor factory in Pinjore, while Associated Cement Companies has a cement factory in Pinjore. Bharat Electronics Limited or B.E.L has a factory in Panchkula.
Punwire and Puncom have factories in Mohali as does Verka, and Ranbaxy and Godrej. This region is the zonal headquarters for a large number of banks, their offices are mainly in the "Bank Square" in sector 17 Chandigarh. This area also houses the regional office (usually covering Punjab, Northern Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir) for a lot of FMCG companies.
Educational Institutes of National Importance
- IIT Ropar
- IISER Mohali
- NIPER mohali
- ISB Mohali
- INST Mohali
- NABI Mohali
- CDAC Mohali
- NIFT Panchkula
- TMCH New Chandigarh
- PGI Chandigarh
- P.U. Chandigarh
- PEC University of Technology, Chandigarh
- IMTECH Chandigarh
- CSIO Chandigarh
- TBRL-DRDO Chandigarh
- NIELIT Chandigarh
Educational Institutes Others
- Chandigarh College of Architecture (CCA) Sec12 Chandigarh
- Chandigarh college of Engg.& Technology ( CCET) Sec-26 Chandigarh
- Chandigarh University (CU) Mohali
- Chandigarh Group of Colleges Mohali
- Gian Jyoti Institute of Management and Technology (GJIMT), Mohali
- Chitkara University Banur Mohali
- Swami Vivekanand Group of Institutes, Banur, Mohali
- Swami Parmanand College of Engineering and Technology, Lalru, Mohali
- Punjab College of Engineering & Technology, Lalru, Mohali
- Indo Global College of Engineering, Abhipur Mohali
- Udham Singh College of Engineering Tangori, Mohali
- Rayat & Bahra Kharar, Mohali
- SASIIT, Mohali
- ARMY Institute of Law, Mohali
- Sukhmani Inst. of Engg.& Tech, Derabassi,Mohali
- Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatam Dharm College, Sector 32, Chandigarh
- Yadav, Deepak (5 May 2015). "First steps to make Tricity one". The Times of India.
- "Decks cleared for Chandigarh Capital Region". The Times of India.
- "Chandigarh Capital Region gets nod". Daily Post India. Chandigarh. 24 January 2012. Archived from the original on 8 April 2013.
- "Chandigarh Capital Region included in Master Plan '31". The Times of India.
- "Chandigarh Master Plan 2031, Preamble" (PDF). Chandigarh Administration. p. 9.
- "Chandigarh Master Plan 2031, Regional Context" (PDF). Chandigarh Administration. p. 23.
- "India: Major Agglomerations". .citypopulation.de. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Panchkula: Smart City bid gone, residents keen on Tricity Board". The Indian Express. 27 September 2015.