|• Chief Minister||Tarun Gogoi|
|• Governor / Chancellor||J. B. Patnaik|
|Elevation||55 m (180 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||91 - (0) 361 - XX XX XXX|
|Vehicle registration||AS - 25|
Dispur is the seat of Government of Assam. The Assam Secretariat building is located in Dispur along with the Assam Assembly House and the State Emergency Operations Centre. The Assam Trunk road and the G S road passes through Dispur. To the south of Dispur is the theologically important site of Basistha Ashram and the Shankardev Kalakshetra, a cultural center created in the 1990s. Next to Dispur is the ancient township of Jatia.
Though it is well known as the capital of Assam, Dispur is also known for the Guwahati Tea Auction Centre. A large variety of tea is auctioned here. The centre has seen largest volume of CTC tea auction in the world.
- Assam Secretariat
- Assam Assembly House
- State Emergency Operations Centre
- NABARD - Assam Regional Office
- French Motor Car Company Limited
- SBI - Local Head Office, North Eastern Circle
- Guwahati Tea Auction Centre
Dispur has warm summers and cold winters as with the case Guwahati. Winters are also accompanied by occasional rainfalls that bring down the temperature further. Monsoon season in Dispur commences from the month of June. Dispur monsoons are usually accompanied by severe thunderstorms along with heavy showers.
Being the capital it is a well planned city. There are many tourist spots in Dispur -
- Shilpagram is famous for cultural and handicraft heritage of Assam and other northeastern states. Ethnic jewelry, carpets, silk sarees, wooden and metal handicrafts are available here among others.
- Basistha Ashram is six kilometres from Dispur. It is popular for Lord Shiva temple. The temple spread across 835 bighas of land. It stands on the bank of mountain streams which originates from the hills of Meghalaya which in turn becomes river Basistha and Bharalu that flows through the city.
- Srimanta Sankaradeva Kalakshetra is a cultural institution located at Panjabari area of the city. The museum preserves the culture and tradition of Assam as well as the Northeast. It is named after the great cultural exponent and scholar of Assam Mahapurush Srimanta Sankardeva. Inside the museum could be found traditional jewellery, costumes, statues, articles, weapons, stone and inscriptions displaying the not only the culture of Assam but the whole northeast as well.
The capital Dispur forms an important part in the education of Assam. In Dispur two important colleges are situated- Dispur Law College and Dispur College. Dispur Law College was established in 1993. The affiliation of the college is approved by the Bar Council of India. The Dispur College was established in 1978. This college was established to cater to the higher educational needs of students after Dispur was made the capital of Assam from Shillong. There are many government and private schools located in Dispur.
Dispur is home to many important hospitals like Dispur Hospital. The hospital has the state-of-art technology to provide superior healthcare. The other prominent hospitals in Dispur are Dispur Poly Clinic & Nursing Home, Downtown Hospital, Shankardeva Netralaya and Guwahati Neurological Research Centre (GNRC) Hospitals among others.
- "List of Parliamentary & Assembly Constituencies". Assam. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dispur.|