|• Chief Minister||Sarbananda Sonowal|
|• Governor / Chancellor||Jagdish Mukhi|
|Elevation||55-290 m (180-955 ft)|
|• Total||957,352 |
|• Official||Assamese, and English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Telephone code||91 - (0) 361 - XX XX XXX|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-AS|
|Vehicle registration||AS - 01|
Dispur is the seat of Government of Assam. The Assam Secretariat building is located in Dispur along with the Assam Assembly House, MLA Hostels and the State Emergency Operations Centre. The Assam Trunk road and the G S road passes through Dispur. To the south of Dispur is the theologically important site of Basistha Ashram and the Shankardev Kalakshetra, a cultural centre created in the 1990s. Next to Dispur is the ancient township of Jatia.
Though it is well known as the capital of Assam, Dispur is also known for the Guwahati Tea Auction Centre. A large variety of tea is auctioned here. The centre has seen the largest volume of CTC tea auction in the world.
- Assam Secretariat
- Assam Assembly House
- State Emergency Operations Centre
- NABARD - Assam Regional Office
- Guwahati Tea Auction Centre
- NEDFi House - North Eastern Development Finance Corporation Ltd, Corporate Office
- Directorate of Information & Public Relations
- Directorate of Sports & Youth Welfare, Assam
- SBI - Local Head Office, North Eastern Circle
Dispur, being a part of Guwahati, has warm summers and cold winters. Winters are also accompanied by occasional rainfalls that bring down the temperature further. Monsoon season in Dispur commences from the month of June. Dispur monsoons are usually accompanied by severe thunderstorms along with heavy showers.
Being the capital it is a well-planned locale. There are many tourist spots in Dispur -
- Shilpagram is famous for cultural and handicraft heritage of Assam and other northeastern states. Ethnic jewellery, carpets, silk sarees, wooden and metal handicrafts are available here among others.
- Basistha Ashram is six kilometers from Dispur. It is popular for Lord Shiva temple. The temple spread across 835 bighas of land. It stands on the bank of mountain streams which originates from the hills of Meghalaya which in turn becomes river Basistha and Bharalu that flows through the city.
- Srimanta Sankaradeva Kalakshetra is a cultural institution located at Panjabari area of the region. The museum preserves the culture and tradition of Assam as well as the Northeast. It is named after the great cultural exponent and scholar of Assam Mahapurush Srimanta Sankardeva. Inside the museum could be found traditional jewellery, costumes, statues, articles, weapons, stone and inscriptions displaying the not only the culture of Assam but the whole northeast as well.
The capital Dispur forms an important part in the education of Assam. In Dispur two important colleges are situated - Dispur Law College and Dispur College. The Dispur Law College was established in 1993. The affiliation of the college is approved by the Bar Council of India. While Dispur College was established in 1978. This college was established to cater to the higher educational needs of students after Dispur was made the capital of Assam from Shillong. There are many government and private schools located in Dispur.
Dispur is home to many important hospitals like Guwahati Neurological Research Centre (GNRC) Hospitals, Dispur Hospital and Downtown Hospital. These hospitals have the state-of-art technology to provide superior healthcare. The other prominent hospitals in Dispur are Dispur Polyclinic & Nursing Home and Sun Valley Hospital.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dispur.|