This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2019)
|• Body||Guwahati Municipal Corporation|
|• Governor / Chancellor||Jagdish Mukhi|
|Elevation||55−290 m (180−955 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Telephone code||91 - (0) 361 - XX XX XXX|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-AS|
|Vehicle registration||AS - 01|
Dispur is the seat of power of Government of Assam. The Assam Secretariat (Janata Bhawan) building is located in Dispur along with the Assam Legislative Assembly House, MLA Hostels and the State Emergency Operations Centre. The Assam Trunk road and the G S road passes through Dispur. To the south of Dispur lies the theologically important site of Basistha Ashram and the Shankardev Kalakshetra, a cultural centre created in the 1990s. Next to Dispur is the township of Jatia.
The Guwahati Tea Auction Centre, is one of the busiest tea trading facilities in the world, is located in the city.
Dispur, being a part of Guwahati, has warm summers and cold winters. Winters are also accompanied by occasional rainfalls that bring down the temperature further. Monsoon season in Dispur commences from the month of June. Dispur monsoons are usually accompanied by severe thunderstorms along with heavy downpours.
Being the capital it is a well-planned locale. There are many tourist spots in Dispur -
- Shilpagram is famous for cultural and handicraft heritage of Assam and other northeastern states. Ethnic jewellery, carpets, silk sarees, wooden and metal handicrafts are available here among others.
- Basistha Ashram is six kilometres from Dispur. It is popular for Lord Shiva temple. The temple spread across 835 bighas of land. It stands on the bank of mountain streams which originates from the hills of Meghalaya which in turn becomes river Basistha and Bharalu that flows through the city.
- Srimanta Sankaradeva Kalakshetra is a cultural institution located at Panjabari area of the region. The museum preserves the culture and tradition of Assam as well as the Northeast. It is named after the great cultural exponent and scholar of Assam Mahapurush Srimanta Sankardeva. Inside the museum could be found traditional jewellery, costumes, statues, articles, weapons, stone and inscriptions displaying the not only the culture of Assam but the whole northeast as well.
Dispur is home to many important hospitals and healthcare centres like Guwahati Neurological Research Centre (GNRC) Hospitals, Dispur Hospital and Capital State Dispensary.
- "Guwahati City Census 2011 data". census2011. census. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- "52nd REPORT OF THE COMMISSIONER FOR LINGUISTIC MINORITIES IN INDIA" (PDF). nclm.nic.in. Ministry of Minority Affairs. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 May 2017. Retrieved 29 June 2019.
- "Dispur". Lexico UK English Dictionary. Oxford University Press. n.d.
- Bishnu Rabha (1982). Bishnu Rabha Rachanavali Vol. 1.
- "List of Parliamentary & Assembly Constituencies" (PDF). Assam. Election Commission of India. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 May 2006. Retrieved 5 October 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dispur.|