Kroes at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival
23 January 1985 |
|Spouse(s)||Sunnery James (m. 2010)|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Measurements||(US) 34-24.5-34.5; (EU) 86-62-88|
|Dress size||(US) 6; (EU) 36|
|Manager||Paparazzi Model Management, Amsterdam DNA Model Management
Doutzen Kroes (IPA: [ˈdʌu̯tsə(ŋ) ˈkrus]; born 23 January 1985) is a Dutch model and actress and former Victoria's Secret Angel. She started working for the brand in 2004, becoming an Angel in 2008 and finally leaving the brand in 2015. She is on contract with L'Oréal. In 2014, Kroes came in second on the Forbes top-earning models list (after Gisele Bündchen), estimated to have earned $8 million in one year.
Kroes was born on 23 January 1985 in the village of Eastermar (Dutch: Oostermeer), in the province of Friesland, Netherlands, to a Frisian family. She has a younger sister called Rens who is an aspiring singer-songwriter. As a young girl, Kroes aspired to be a professional speed skater.
Kroes described herself as a "tomboy" in her youth, although she applied to modeling agency Paparazzi Model Management in the Netherlands when she was older. The agency sent her to New York City, and after being cast a few times by Victoria's Secret, they asked her to try out as an "angel". When Kroes moved to New York from the Netherlands, she had never heard of the brand before.
Kroes has been featured on the covers of Time, Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, Seventeen, Elle, Marie Claire, Glamour, W, Avantgarde, Dazed & Confused, and Numéro. She also appears regularly in the Victoria's Secret catalog and walked the runway of the company's fashion show in 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014. Kroes's campaigns include Gucci, Tommy Hilfiger, Versace, Valentino, Blumarine and Calvin Klein for both their 'White' label and their fragrance 'Eternity'. In 2005, Kroes was selected as "Model of The Year" on Vogue.com by readers. She was presented on the May 2007 cover of American Vogue as one of the “World’s Next Top Models” next to Chanel Iman among others. Along with several of these models, she appeared in the 2008 Pirelli Calendar.
In 2006, a Frisian documentary directed by J.J.M. Jansen about a week in Kroes' life as a model was released. It documented Kroes at Milan Fashion Week and her thinking about the modeling industry.
In July 2007, earning at an estimated total of $1.5 million in the previous twelve months, Forbes named Kroes fourteenth in the list of the World's 15 Top-Earning Supermodels. In April 2008, she was in fifth position, with an estimated income of $6 million. Forbes named Kroes fifth again in 2009 ($6 million), 2010 ($6 million) and 2012 ($6.9 million). Kroes escalated to the second position of the ranking in 2014, having earned $8 million the year before.
At the end of August 2008, Victoria's Secret confirmed to People magazine that Kroes was to be the newest Victoria's Secret Angel. Her first campaign as the brand's newest Angel was "Supermodel Obsession". In September 2009, she signed to be the new face for Swiss cashmere label Repeat for two years.
In February 2010, Kroes returned to the catwalk during fashion week for Prada with fellow Angels Alessandra Ambrosio and Miranda Kerr. Prada was praised by former editor-in-chief of Glamour, Cosmopolitan and Marie Claire magazines, Bonnie Fuller in her blog for using a curvy model such as Kroes for the fashion show.
In 2011, Kroes shot major campaigns for both L'Oreal and Tiffany & Co.
In 2012, Kroes continued her work for L'Oreal, Tiffany & Co. and Victoria's Secret, and appeared on the cover of numerous international editions of Vogue.
In 2013, Kroes appeared in campaigns for Victoria's Secret, L'Oreal, H&M, Tiffany & Co., Miu Miu, Bruno Magli, and Emilio Pucci.
In September 2013, Kroes became the first model in history to appear on the cover of 4 international editions of Vogue in one month. In 2013, Kroes appeared on nine Vogue covers, more than any other model that year.
In 2014, Kroes appeared in the new Calvin Klein Reveal Fragrance commercial alongside Charlie Hunnam, as well as continuing her long-standing contracts. She also announced she ending her contract with Victoria's Secret after six years of being with the brand
She has walked in the 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Victoria's Secret Fashion Shows.
On 24 November 2011, Kroes debuted in Reinout Oerlemans', Nova Zembla, the first Dutch 3D movie ever made. Kroes has been taking acting classes in New York City for several years and has stated in interviews that she plans to act in more movies to come.
Kroes started dating DJ Sunnery James in 2009. On 7 November 2010, she and James married in Amsterdam. They live together in New York and Amsterdam. On 21 January 2011, Kroes gave birth to her first child, son Phyllon Joy Gorré. In February 2014 she announced her second pregnancy. On March 22, 2014, it was revealed Kroes was expecting a baby girl. Myllena Mae was born on the morning of July 30, 2014. She is actively involved with the non-profit organization Dance4Life, which uses song and dance to educate youth about HIV and AIDS prevention.
- Robehmed, Natalie (18 August 2014). "The World's Highest Paid Models". Forbes.com. Forbes. Retrieved 2014-12-08.
- "Doutzen Kroes: Victoria's Secret on CBS". CBS. Retrieved 2010-04-04.[dead link]
- Doutzen Kroes' Frisian roots
- Kugel, Allison (16 February 2012). "Victoria's Secret Angel Doutzen Kroes Talks Getting Gorgeous & Giving Back with Dance4Life". PR.com.
- The World's Top 10 Highest Earning Models. The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2010-01-17.
- Hit Girls. American Vogue. May 2007.
- Official website.. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- Blakeley, Kiri (16 July 2007). "The World's Top-Earning Models". forbes.com. Retrieved 2008-02-08.
- Blakeley, Kiri (30 April 2008). "The World's Top-Earning Models". forbes.com. Retrieved 2008-05-01.
- Streib, Lauren. "In Pictures: The World's Top-Earning Models". Forbes.
- Solomon, Brian (14 June 2012). "The World's Highest Paid Models". Forbes.com. Forbes. Retrieved 2012-06-20.
- "Doutzen docht mei, do ek?" (in Frisian). www.praatmarfrysk.nl. Retrieved 2008-02-08.
- "Victoria's Secret's Newest Angel Revealed: Doutzen Kroes". Off the Rack. People. 26 August 2008.
- "Doutzen Kroes in the "Softest Campaign Ever"". Muse Amsterdam. Muse.nl. 2009-01-21.
- "Doutzen Kroes is the face of the new Repeat campaign printed to perfection by Chevalier". Chevalier International. Retrieved 2010-04-04.[dead link]
- "Doutzen Kroes's wax figure at Madame Tussauds Amsterdam". Madame Tussaud's Amsterdam. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- "Doutzen Kroes schrijft in Marie Claire", Algemeen Dagblad, 14 October 2009
- "Doutzen Kroes - Model Profile". nymag.com. Retrieved 2008-02-08.
- Bonnie Fuller (25 February 2010). "Hooray! Skinny Models Booted out of Top Fashion Show and Replace by Victoria's Secret Angels!". Hollywood Life. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- http://models.com/models/Doutzen-Kroes. Missing or empty
- http://fashionista.com/2013/08/doutzen-kroes-lands-an-unprecedented-four-september-vogue-covers. Missing or empty
- "Doutzen Kroes weer gelukkig" De Telegraaf, 30 August 2009
- Doutzen Kroes in geheim getrouwd De Telegraaf, 7 November 2010
- Doutzen Kroes' houses 4 december 2014
- Michaud, Sarah (21 January 2011). "Doutzen Kroes Welcomes Son Phyllon Joy". Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- second pregnancy
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Doutzen Kroes.|
- Doutzen Kroes on Instagram
- Doutzen Kroes on Twitter
- Doutzen Kroes on Facebook
- Doutzen Kroes at the Internet Movie Database
- Doutzen Kroes at the Fashion Model Directory
- Profile at YES Model Management