Casta in 2016
|Born||Laetitia Marie Laure Casta|
11 May 1978
|Height||5 ft 6 1⁄2 in (169 cm)|
Casta became a "GUESS? Girl" in 1993 and gained further recognition as a Victoria's Secret Angel from 1998 to 2000 and as a spokesperson for cosmetics company L'Oréal. She has appeared on over 100 covers of such popular magazines as Cosmopolitan, Vogue, Rolling Stone, Elle and Glamour, and has modeled for designers such as Yves Saint Laurent, Jean-Paul Gaultier, Chanel, Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, J. Crew, Louis Vuitton, Givenchy, Roberto Cavalli, Lolita Lempicka, and Vivienne Westwood.
Casta became an established actress, appearing in the films Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life (2010), in which she portrayed sex symbol Brigitte Bardot, Face (2009) and The Blue Bicycle (2000), as well as the play Ondine at the theatre Antoine.
Laetitia Casta was born in Pont-Audemer, Normandy, France. Her mother, Line Blin, is from Normandy. Her father, Dominique Casta, is from Corsica. Casta has an older brother, Jean-Baptiste, and a younger sister, Marie-Ange. She spent her childhood in Normandy and Corsica.
Casta's modeling career reportedly began when she was discovered by the photographer Frederic Cresseaux, during a family holiday in her father's native Corsica, at age 15. After her unexpected registration by Jeeby, Casta was elected Miss Lumio 93.
Casta has been the L'Oréal Paris brand ambassador since 1998. She has been featured in Guess? Jeans, Tommy Hilfiger, Miu Miu, Pepe Jeans, Alberta Ferretti and XOXO ad campaigns. Casta has appeared on more than 100 magazine covers including Victoria's Secret catalogs, Harper's Bazaar, ELLE magazine, and Vogue magazine. She walked down the annual Victoria's Secret Fashion Show in 1997, 1998, 1999, and 2000. Caste was one of the company's signature Victoria' Secret Angels from 1998 to 2000. She claims that her career with Victoria's Secret ended because she was "too much of [a] rebel". She also appeared in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue three consecutive times, Rolling Stone, and the Pirelli Calendar 1999 by Herb Ritts and 2000 by Annie Leibovitz.
In 1999, Casta was ranked first in a national survey ordered by the French Mayors Association to decide who should be the new model for the bust of Marianne, an allegorical symbol of the French Republic, which stands inside every French town hall.
Casta became the focus of a controversy when, after being selected to be Marianne, newspapers in Britain and France reported that she had relocated to London where taxes on high earners are lower. Casta's father said she went to London for professional reasons; on a TV show, she also said that she rented a flat in London to be near her boyfriend. The French minister of the interior spoke about Casta on the radio; comparing the advantages of living in France with regard to the drawbacks of London after political opponents used Casta's relocation to London as an opportunity to criticise the government.
She is the face of fragrances Chanel's Allure, Givenchy's Forbidden flower, Cacharel's Promise, Bulgari's BLV II, Ralph Lauren's Notorious, and on 15 June 2012 D&G's Pour Femme shot in Erice by Mario Testino. The Parisians could follow her Adventures in the Galeries Lafayette by Jean-Paul Goude. For Christmas 2011, Peter Lindbergh shot True Love, the very thought of Casta at the summit of Manhattan and between the snowy lions of marble of the New York Public Library for Tiffany & Co. On 10 March 2010, in Paris, she opened the Louis Vuitton Fall/Winter 2010 fashion show. On 27 September 2010, she closed the Roberto Cavalli SS 2011 fashion show in Milan.
For her first movie, Casta has made forays into the blockbuster Asterix & Obelix Take On Caesar directed by Claude Zidi, a live-action film of the comic book Asterix; in which Obelix, portrayed by Gérard Depardieu, plays a love interest for Falbala. Casta appeared in Les Ames Fortes, a dramatic film directed by Raul Ruiz. Her interpretation of Brigitte Bardot in the movie Gainsbourg (Vie heroique) revealed the actress who received her first nomination at the Cesar Award. Casta served as a jury member at the 69th Venice International Film Festival in 2012.
On 6 April 2008, Casta demonstrated in a White March of nonviolent protest to ask for the immediate release of Ingrid Betancourt, presidential candidate kidnapped since 2002 by the FARC. On 30 April 2002, she attended the demonstration Vive la République after the first round election of the 2002 presidential election.
On 19 October 2001, Casta gave birth to her daughter Sahteene, whose father is the photographer Stephane Sednaoui. Casta was engaged to Italian actor Stefano Accorsi. The couple has two children: a son named Orlando, born on 21 September 2006, and a daughter named Athena, born on 29 August 2009. In June 2017, Casta married her then-boyfriend, French actor Louis Garrel.
Director, screenwriter, producer
|2016||En Moi||Director, Writer, Producer||Cannes Critics' Week closing short|
|1999||Asterix et Obelix contre Cesar
(Asterix & Obelix Take On Caesar)
|2000||La Bicyclette Bleue
(The Blue Bicycle)
|Lea Delmas||Thierry Binisti||TV film for France2|
|Gitano||Lucia Junco||Manuel Palacios|
|2001||Les ames fortes
|2002||Rue des plaisirs
|Marion||Patrice Leconte||Performs on the soundtrack|
|2004||Luisa Sanfelice||Luisa Sanfelice||Paolo Taviani
|TV film for France2, RAI Uno|
|2006||Le grand appartement
(The Big Apartment)
|Francesca Cigalone||Pascal Thomas|
|La Deraison du Louvre
(The Irrationality of the Louvre)
|The young woman||Ange Leccia||Short film without dialog shot in the Louvre museum for which Casta was for the first time in cover of Les Cahiers du Cinema.|
|The naiad||Ange Leccia||Short film|
|2007||Le Petit Monde de Charlotte
|Charlotte A. Cavatica||Gary Winick|
|2008||Nes en 68
(Born in 68)
|Cabourg: Golden Swann of the Best Actress|
|La jeune fille et les loups
(The Maiden and the Wolves)
|Angele Amblard||Gilles Legrand|
(Face) ? (in Chinese)
|Fleurs dans le miroir,
lune dans l'eau
(Flowers in the mirror,
moon in the water)
|herself, Salome||Francois Lunel|
|2010||Gainsbourg (Vie heroique)
(Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life)
|Brigitte Bardot||Joann Sfar||Nominated for the Cesar Award for Best Supporting Actress|
Performs Gainsbourg's songs on the soundtrack
|2011||La nouvelle guerre des boutons
(The War of the Buttons)
|Derriere les murs
(Behind the Walls)
|Sophie||Kamen Kalev||First film with English dialogue|
|Rio||Perla (Jewel)||Carlos Saldanha|
|2012||Arbitrage||Julie Cote||Nicholas Jarecki||First American film|
|Do Not Disturb||Anna||Yvan Attal|
|2013||Une histoire d'amour
|The young woman||Helene Fillieres|
|2014||Rio 2||Perla (Jewel)||Carlos Saldanha||First sequel|
|A Woman as a Friend||Claudia||Giovanni Veronesi|
|Des lendemains qui chantent||Noemie Archambault||Nicolas Castro|
|Sous les jupes des filles||Agathe||Audrey Dana|
|2018||A Faithful Man||Marianne||Louis Garrel||Completed|
|2010||Rihanna||Te Amo||Anthony Mandler|
|1999||Chris Isaak||Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing||Herb Ritts|
|Terre d'Oru(in English)(in Corsican)(in Greek)||Stefano Salvati|
DVD and Blu-ray
|2007||Laetitia Casta||StudioCanal||French||2||with Yves Saint Laurent, Pierre Berge, Jean-Paul Gaultier, Dominique Issermann, Sylvie Lancrenon, Jamel Debbouze, Omar Sy & Fred Testot, Frederic Lopez, Jean-Paul Goude, Jacques Weber, Claude Zidi|
|2017||Scenes from a Marriage||Marianne||Ingmar Bergman||Safy Nebbou||Théâtre de l'Œuvre||Paris 9th||L'Express|
(She is waiting for you)
|Anna||Florian Zeller||Florian Zeller||Théâtre de la Madeleine||Paris 8th||Madame Figaro|
|Ondine||Ondine||Jean Giraudoux||Jacques Weber||Tour in regions
Théâtre Antoine-Simone Berriau
|2010||Porteurs d'Eau[permanent dead link] (in French)||Water-carrier is an initiative of France Libertes - Danielle-Mitterrand foundation (in French)|
|2006||Rose Marie Claire[permanent dead link] (in French)||Casta among Claire Chazal, Isabelle Adjani, Axelle Red, Monica Bellucci and Tina Kieffer with the Rose Marie Claire (in French) are shot by Jeff Manzetti for the association Toutes a l'ecole (in French)|
|2005||Action Innocence||She belongs to the Committee of support of Action Innocence to protect the children from the dangers of the Internet.|
|2004||Action Contre la Faim||Casta drew a winged blue heart on a plate for the bidding of 19 November 2004 to help Action against Hunger|
|2002||Occi, paese rinascitu (in Corsican)||In the headquarters of the association Occi recovered village at the Caffe di a Mossa of Lumio in Corsica, Casta helped to reconstruct the old chapel of Annunziata in the abandoned village of Occi. |
Watch the on YouTube by official Korsika.fr
Awards and recognition
|2012||Chevalier dans l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres(in French)(Knight in Order of Arts and of Letters)||France Minister of Culture and of Communication|
|2011||Nominated for the Cesar Award of the Best Supporting Actressas Brigitte Bardot in Gainsbourg (Vie heroique)||Cesar Awards||Nominated|
|2008||Golden Swann of the Best Actressas Catherine in Born in 68||Cabourg Film Festival (in French)||Won|
|2001||Ranked No. 1 Top 50 Most Beautiful Women||Askmen.com|
|1999||Marianne for the 21st century||82nd congress of AMF, the French Mayors Association||Won|
- Laetitia Cast Bio Archived 6 February 2015 at the Wayback Machine., Fashion Industry Archive. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- FMD profile. Retrieved 4 December 2009.
- Laetitia Casta, Assouline 1999, p. 12.
- Laetitia Casta's biography by Vogue Paris.
- Laetitia Casta, Assouline 1999, p. 15.
- Laetitia Casta Official: Miss Lumio 93 Archived 19 January 2012 at the Wayback Machine. (in French).
- L'Oréal Paris Archived 5 October 2010 at the Wayback Machine., Laetitia Casta's biography.
- Harper's Bazaar uk Cover October 2012 by Sebastian Faena Hairstyle by Nicolas Jurnjack "Laetitia Casta", models.com.
- Laetitia Casta: The supermodel who rebelled against Victoria Secret.
- "The Marianne". Consulate General of France in New York.
- La fugue Casta, affaire d'Etat (in French), Le Soir, 4 April 2000.
- "Quand Marianne s'exile a Londres" (in French), Le Point, 31 March 2000.
- Marianne: impots ou intox a la Une (in French), Libération, 6 April 2000.
- "Au revoir, les taxes" Archived 2 February 2011 at the Wayback Machine., Salon, 17 April 2000.
- "Zut Alors! A National Treasure Flirts With Heresy", The New York Times, 9 April 2000.
- "France galled by model move", BBC News, 3 April 2000.
- "Symbol of France prefers London", The New Zealand Herald, 5 April 2000, also in Die Welt (in German) on 10 April 2000 quoting the Daily Mail′s title Marianne Unfaithful.
- "The disloyalty of Marianne", The Economist, 6 April 2000.
- Laetitia Casta: "Dolce & Gabbana's latest fragrance muse", Swide, 15 June 2012.
- Jean-Paul Goude official: Work > Advertising > Photography.
- Laetitia Casta's campaigns Archived 14 October 2013 at the Wayback Machine., Alla Rosa Production.
- Mower, Sarah (10 March 2010). Style, Louis Vuitton, Fall 2010, Paris.
- Style, Roberto Cavalli Spring Summer 2011 RTW, Milan, 27 September 2010.
- Elley, Derek (31 January 1999). "Asterix & Obelix Vs. Caesar", Variety.
- Laetitia Casta cuts teeth on Serious Film International Herald Tribune, 29 May 2001.
- Aftab, Kaleem (16 January 2010). Saga of a tormented artist's highs and lows, The Independent
- "Marina Abramovic, Laetitia Casta, Peter Ho-Sun Chan, Ari Folman, Matteo Garrone, Ursula Meier, Samantha Morton, Pablo Trapero to form the Venezia 69 International Jury chaired by Michael Mann". Venice Film Festival. 13 July 2012. Archived from the original on 27 July 2014. Retrieved 30 August 2012.
- "White March for Ingrid Betancourt" (in French), INA, 6 April 2008.
- Demonstration Vive la Republique (in French), France 3 TV news 19|20 by INA, 30 April 2002.
- Morris, Christopher (8 December 2016). "Laetitia Casta, nouvelle ambassadrice UNICEF : 'Protégeons les enfants de la guerre !'" [Laetitia Casta, new UNICEF ambassador: "Let us protect the children of war!"] (in French). UNICEF. Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- Sei mamma? Ti licenziano Archived 17 December 2013 at the Wayback Machine. (in Italian) (You are mother? You are fired), Style, 28 April 2009.
- Richford, Rhonda (18 April 2016). "Cannes: Critics' Week Unveils Lineup, Including Closing Film From Chloe Sevigny". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- Danesi, Fabien. Review about The Folly of the Louvre, Films by The Louvre.
- Frodon, Jean Michel (April 2006). "The Dream of Light". Les Cahiers du Cinema Archived 18 October 2012 at the Wayback Machine., issue 611.
- Frederic Sanchez: English > Press > Les Cahiers du Cinema, April 2006.
- Laetitia Casta: "La célébrité a parfois du bon, c'est un véhicule" (in French), L'Express, 2 February 2017.
- Laetitia Casta Officiel: Theatre Archived 20 May 2012 at the Wayback Machine. (in French).
- Laetitia Casta: "Quand on est tendre, on est soi" (in French), Madame Figaro, 23 August 2008.
- "Laetitia Casta begeisterte als Wassernixe in Ludwigshafen" (in German), Hamburger Morgenpost, 30 November 2005.
- Jean-Pierre Leonardini, "Devine qui vient ondiner"(in French), L'Humanité, 27 September 2004.
- L'Oréal about the associations of Action Innocence and of Sebastien Proyart.
- L'oeil de la Balagne (in French), L'Express, 20 June 2007.
- "AskMen.com - Laetitia Casta former Number 1". Au.askmen.com. Retrieved 1 August 2011.
- Issermann, Dominique (January 2012). Xavier Barral, ed. Laetitia Casta (in French). ISBN 978-2-36511-004-4.
- Sapin, Mathieu (20 January 2010). Delcourt, ed. Feuille de chou 1. Journal d'un tournage (in French). ISBN 978-2-7560-1857-7.
- Marciano, Paul (1 July 2002). A Second Decade of Guess Images: 1991-2001. Gingko Press. ISBN 978-0-9636728-1-0.
- Tremolet, Laurence (March 2002). Rezina, Collectionneur, ed. Dans l'ombre des ames fortes. ISBN 978-2-909450-87-2.
- Reilly, Rick; Steven, Hoffman (28 September 2001). Sports Illustrated: Knockouts, Five Decades of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Photography. Sports Illustrated. ISBN 978-1-929049-47-9.
- Casta, Laetitia (24 November 1999). Assouline, ed. Laetitia Casta (in French). ISBN 978-2-84323-179-7.
- Di Caro, Roberto; Heath, Christopher (1 September 1999). Callaway, ed. Laetitia Casta. Viking Studio. ISBN 978-0-67088-819-1.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Laetitia Casta.|