|• Administrative body||Edmonton City Council|
|• Councillor||Michael Walters|
|• Total||1.2 km2 (0.5 sq mi)|
|Elevation||676 m (2,218 ft)|
|• Density||4,372.5/km2 (11,325/sq mi)|
|• Change (2009–12)||9.4%|
The neighbourhood is bounded on the west by 111 Street, on the south by 23 Avenue, and on the east by Calgary Trail and Gateway Boulevard. The north boundary is a utility corridor located just to the north of 29 Avenue.
In the City of Edmonton's 2012 municipal census, Ermineskin had a population of 5,247 living in 2,749 dwellings, a 9.4% change from its 2009 population of 4,795. With a land area of 1.2 km2 (0.46 sq mi), it had a population density of 4,372.5 people/km2 in 2012.
While some residential development in Ermineskin dates to the 1960s and earlier, according to the 2001 federal census the bulk or residential development in the neighbourhood occurred during the 1970s and 1980s. Approximately two out of every five (42.6%) were built during the 1970s. Another one in three (30.5%) were built during the 1980s. One in five (19.7%) were built during the 1990s.
According to the 2005 municipal census, the most common type of residences in the neighbourhood are rented apartments and apartment style condominiums. These account for approximately two out of every three (66%) residences in the neighbourhood. Approximately half of all apartment style residences are in low-rise buildings with fewer than five stories while the other half are in high-rise buildings with five or more stories. One residence in six (16%)are single-family dwellings and one residence in eight (13%) are row houses. One in twenty (5%) are duplexes Almost three out of every four (72%) residences in the neighbourhood are rented, while just over on in four (28%) are owner-occupied.
Century Park is a transit-oriented development. It replaces the now vacant Heritage Mall site, and will eventually be home to almost 5,000 residents, hundreds of thousands of square feet of office and retail space, parks, and a small lake. The development is served by the Century Park LRT Station as part of the South LRT Expansion, completed in April 2010.
The total cost of the project when completed in 2014 is estimated to be one billion dollars.
Almost 100 people lined up overnight outside the development's marketing centre when the first condos went on sale in September 2006, at a starting price of $393,000. All 131 units available for sale were sold out within six hours.
The population in Ermineskin is highly mobile. According to the 2005 municipal census, one resident in four (24.5%) had moved within the previous twelve months. Another one in four (28.3%) had moved within the previous one to three years. Only one resident in three (33.1%) had lived at the same address for five years or longer.
There are no schools in Ermineskin. Schooling for children in Ermineskin is provided at schools in surrounding neighbourhoods:
- Edmonton Public School System
- Keheewin Elementary School in Keheewin
- Steinhauer Elementary School in Steinhauer
- Sweet Grass Public School in Sweet Grass
- Edmonton Catholic School System
- St. Sophia Catholic School in Sweet Grass
- St. Teresa Catholic Elementary School in Blue Quill
- St. Augustine Catholic Elementary School in Duggan
- "City of Edmonton Wards & Standard Neighbourhoods" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 3, 2014. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "Edmonton Developing and Planned Neighbourhoods, 2011" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 4, 2013. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "The Way We Grow: Municipal Development Plan Bylaw 15100" (PDF). City of Edmonton. 2010-05-26. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 2, 2015. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "City of Edmonton Plans in Effect" (PDF). City of Edmonton. November 2011. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 17, 2013. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "City Councillors". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "Neighbourhoods (data plus kml file)". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "Municipal Census Results – Edmonton 2012 Census". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013.
- From the neighbourhood description in the City of Edmonton Map Utility.
- "Ermineskin Community League". Ermineskin Community League. Retrieved October 8, 2017.
- Kuban, Ron (2005). Edmonton's Urban Villages: The Community League Movement. University of Alberta Press. ISBN 9781459303249.
- "2009 Municipal Census Results". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013.
- Duplexes include triplexes and fourplexes.
- Century Park gets set to start selling Archived September 28, 2007, at the Wayback Machine - Edmonton Journal, August 22, 2006. Accessed online December 18, 2006.
- Buyers Camp Out For Condos Archived October 23, 2012, at the Wayback Machine - Edmonton Journal, September 24, 2006. Accessed online December 18, 2006.