||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (May 2014)|
Type of site
|Available in||English, Spanish|
|Owner||FilmOn.TV Inc, Alki David|
|Launched||U.K - January 2009, USA - September 2010|
FilmOn is a free Internet-based television service allowing remote computer viewing of local TV worldwide. It licenses more than 600 additional channels plus 90,000 video-on-demand titles. Its library includes the Cinebx and Allied film libraries. It also allows users to create their own live and VOD channels. Channel lineup varies in each country where it can be received.
In 2010, FilmOn launched a streaming internet TV service for mobile devices. Filmon.com claims to launch an additional over the air distribution model with FilmOn AIR, a portable tuner that brings over-the-air HD channels to mobile devices and computers. In May 2012, FilmOn announced the launch of its Facebook app.
Other additions include Shockmasters, a channel devoted to Alfred Hitchcock movies and television shows; Bloodzillathon, a channel devoted to Japanese "Kaiju monster movies; and Voice of America TV, the first global streaming access to the U.S. Government's broadcaster since the laws changed in 2013 to allow transmission of VOA signals in the U.S.
FilmOn and Alki David have been involved in several legal issues over programming including the carriage of major U.S. broadcast channels, such as CBS (and its sister network, The CW), NBC, ABC and FOX (and its sister network, My Network TV), among others. This resulted in requiring FilmOn to drop these channels in 2011. In 2012 the channels were all returned after appeals were lodged in Federal Court and FilmOn launched its FilmOn Air X antenna farm. On September 5, 2013, Judge Rosemary Collyer of the United States District Court for the district of Columbia issued a nationwide injunction blocking FilmOn from offering its antenna/DVR service. However, the ruling does not apply in the second district, due to an earlier case by FilmOn competitor Aereo.
In 2015, FilmOn was cited twice by the FCC in two of its recommendations (NPRM) to Congress and the Senate to approve Over The Top or Internet delivery as a legal platform to deliver television, ratifying FilmOn as a MVPD (multichannel video programming distributor).
- FilmOn to disrupt TV with new streaming channels. Retrieved March 3, 2013
- Filmon website
- "FilmOn Air portable tuner brings over-the-air HD channels to mobile devices and computers". The Verge. 2 January 2012. Retrieved 2012-01-03.
- Meet Alki David: The Billionaire Hollywood Bad Boy Being Sued by Every TV Network. Retrieved March 3, 2013
- FilmOn Air Service Brings Streaming TV To PC And Mobile Devices. Retrieved August 3, 2013
- Federal judge issues nationwide injunction against Aereo competitor FilmOn. Retrieved Sept 15, 2013
- T.C. Sottek: Aereo wins major court battle against TV networks - A remarkably tech-savvy decision, 1. April 2013
- Official Government Announcement