This article may be in need of reorganization to comply with Wikipedia's layout guidelines. (February 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Type of site
|Video hosting service|
|Owner||The AcFun Admins|
AcFun (simplified Chinese: AcFun弹幕视频网; traditional Chinese: AcFun彈幕視頻網; pinyin: AcFun dàn mù shì pín wǎng), known as AC for short, is a Chinese video sharing website. AcFun is an abbreviation of "Anime, Comic and Fun". The website is initially orientated as an ACGN(Animation, Comic, Game and Novel) community and is an influential video sharing website for its audience. AC Musume and TD Musume are the representative icons of AcFun.
The website allows users to upload, view and share videos. The users are able to comment in the comment section or directly put an overlaid comment onto the videos, resulting in more interaction and communication while watching videos.
- Users can comment on the video while watching. The comments will overlay on the video screen, called "danmu" (literally "bullets").
- Each viewer can create a "blocking list", which allow users to block some unwanted words or comments. There may be some unwanted comments shown on screen while watching videos, viewers can block the unwanted word or comment. The word or sentences would disappear on that viewer's screen. The others viewers can still see the words or comments.
- The website divides videos into different types:
In 2007, AcFun was created on June as an ACG themed video sharing site based on Sina Video.
In 2008, the site launched with a Niconico-style player.
In 2009, the site added Drama and Movies as new categories. People can create an account and upload videos.
On 13 February 2010 they held their first Spring Festival Gala.
On 9 May 2010 the number of articles and videos submitted reached 100,000.
In 2011, AcFun had over 200,000 submitted articles and videos. The website changed its domain from acfun.cn to acfun.tv. It was awarded "Specialty Website of 2010" by Guangzhou-based New Weekly Magazine.
In 2014 the submission of articles and videos reached 1,000,000.
On 31 December 2014, AcFun did a live broadcast of Kōhaku Uta Gassen.
In March 2015, they moved their headquarters to Beijing.
On 6 June 2015, AcFun did a live broadcast of the show AKB48 anniversary year.
On 6 August 2015 AcFun received US$50 million series A funding from Youku Tudou Inc. at a reportedly valuation of US$200 million.
On 10 October AcFun registered a second-level domain "acfun.tudou.com".
On 14 January 2016 AcFun has completed a US$60 million funding round led by Softbank China Venture Capital.
On February 2, 2018, the website as well as Android and iOS apps were offline as the server shut down by its domain registrar Alibaba Cloud due to failure to renew the domain name. Possible financial constraints within AcFun may be related to the shutdown. The official Weibo account of AcFun confirmed the shutdown implicitly but no official statement regarding it had been made. Access for website and apps has been restored as of February 12, ten days after the shutdown.
- 李文瑶. "ShowParty网络播放量破500万 AcFun开启次元狂欢_科技_环球网". tech.huanqiu.com. Retrieved 2017-07-20.
- "域名将更换为acfun.tv_acfun吧_百度贴吧". tieba.baidu.com. Retrieved 2017-07-20.
- "围观改变中国_新周刊_新浪博客". blog.sina.com.cn. Retrieved 2017-07-20.
- "弹幕视频网站AcFun获5000万美元融资：合一集团领投 - 合一,ACFUN,优酷 - IT之家". www.ithome.com. Retrieved 2017-07-20.
- "《黑猫警长之翡翠之星》弹幕观影 助燃国漫_娱乐_腾讯网". ent.qq.com (in Chinese). Retrieved 2017-07-20.
- "A站"嫁"土豆 用上二级域名acfun.tudou.com :域名新闻:域名门户:eName.CN". news.ename.cn. Retrieved 2017-07-20.
- "AcFun内斗 董事长兼CEO莫然辞职原总编辑刘炎焱接任". Retrieved 2016-07-01.
- "弹幕网站ACFUN已无法打开:或出现资金问题" [Danmaku Website ACFUN Is Inaccessible, Suspected Financial Problem]. Phoenix (in Chinese). 2018-02-02. Retrieved 2018-02-02.
- "新浪微博 AcFun弹幕视频网". Retrieved 2018-02-02.
- "A站没有凉！"失联"11天后，A站恢复访问" [AcFun Is Not Dead! The Website Resumed Access After 11-Day Shutdown]. Sina (in Chinese). 2018-02-12. Retrieved 2018-02-12.
- "AcFun：吃枣药丸的"破网站"_IT_财经_中金在线". www.cnfol.com. Retrieved 2017-07-22.
- "Popular anime website vows to help spread mainstream values". www.ecns.cn. Retrieved 2017-07-22.