Location of Gürgentepe within Turkey.
|• Mayor||Yener Yalçınkaya (AKP)|
|• District||143.07 km2 (55.24 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,120 m (3,670 ft)|
|• District density||110/km2 (280/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Gürgentepe is a small town and mountainous district of Ordu Province in the Black Sea region of Turkey, 48 km (30 mi) inland from the city of Ordu. According to the 2000 census, population of the district is 36,860 of which 18,313 live in the town of Gürgentepe. The district covers an area of 143 km2 (55 sq mi), and the town lies at an elevation of 1,120 m (3,675 ft).
Gürgentepe is a district of steep mountain valleys on the road between the cities of Ordu and Sivas, both transportation and agriculture are very difficult. The climate is typical of the Black Sea region with the north winds bringing humidity and much rain off the sea, although the inland side of the mountains have a dry climate. Most of the district is mountainside covered with forest and shrubs, trees including oak, chestnut and alder. The soil is volcanic, fertile and watered by mountain streams but most of the land is too steep for planting.
The villages of Gürgentepe district include Alaseher, Bahtiyarlar, Dikenlice, Gülbelen, Gültepe, Hisarcıkpınarı, Şirinköy, Tepeköy, and Tuzla.
- "Area of regions (including lakes), km²". Regional Statistics Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. 2002. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Population of province/district centers and towns/villages by districts - 2012". Address Based Population Registration System (ABPRS) Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- Turkish Statistical Institute. "Census 2000, Key statistics for urban areas of Turkey" (XLS) (in Turkish). Retrieved 2009-05-10.
- GeoHive. "Statistical information on Turkey's administrative units". Retrieved 2009-05-10.
- Statoids. "Statistical information on districts of Turkey". Retrieved 2009-05-10.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc. "Geographical information on Gürgentepe, Turkey". Retrieved 2009-05-09.
- District governor's official website (Turkish)
- Road map of Gürgentepe and environs
- Various images of Gürgentepe, Ordu
|This article about a Black Sea Region of Turkey location is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|