|Launched||November 1, 2005|
|Owned by||Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (8047286 Canada Inc. / Kilmer)|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Slogan||Canada's 24-hour Soccer Network|
|Bell TV||Channel 404 (English) (SD)
Channel 698 (Spanish) (SD)
|Shaw Direct||Channel 459 (SD)|
|Available on many Canadian cable systems||Check local listings|
|Bell Aliant TV||Channel 118 (SD)|
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 414 (SD)|
|MTS||Channel 196 (SD)|
|Optik TV||Channel 127 (SD)|
|SaskTel||Channel 160 (SD)|
GolTV is a Canadian English language Category B specialty channel. GolTV is exclusively dedicated to association football (soccer), with live and recorded sporting events from around the world, and news programs. GolTV is owned by Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE).
GolTV also distributes a Spanish language feed available through select television providers. It broadcasts the same schedule as the English feed, only with Spanish audio.
In August 2005, Insight Sports (on behalf of a corporation to be incorporated) was granted a television broadcasting licence by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) for The Soccer Net, described as "a national English-language Category 2 specialty programming undertaking devoted to soccer and soccer enthusiasts. The programming will focus on instruction from beginner to advanced play and on amateur and professional soccer games. All of the programming will be devoted to soccer or soccer-related subjects."
On January 23, 2009, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, owners of Major League Soccer franchise Toronto FC (along with other major sports teams in the city), announced they would acquire Insight Sports' interest in GolTV. The deal was approved by the CRTC on June 2, 2009. In 2015, MLSE reported to the CRTC that it had bought out GOL TV USA's stake in the channel.
GolTV Canada features live and taped events from the following leagues and competitions:
- Brazil: Campeonato Brasileiro, Campeonato Paulista
- Canada / USA: Major League Soccer (including team-specific coverage of Toronto FC)
- Germany: Bundesliga
- Mexico: Liga de Ascenso (2nd division)
- Spain: Copa del Rey (final only), Supercopa de España
GolTV broadcasts international matches, including friendlies and qualifiers, including:
- CONCACAF: Women's Pre-Olympic Tournament
- CONMEBOL: South American Youth Championship
- FIFA: Selected World Cup Qualifiers
- Bundesliga Magazine
- Canadian Football Weekly
- Foot Brazil
- Football Today
- GolTV News
- Hallo Bundesliga
- Liga BBVA
- MLS Weekly
- Off The Pitch
- Oh My Gol!
GolTV announced on December 5, 2011 that it will launch HD programming in partnership with the RealSports and Xbox 360. HD programming will be available via a free app for the Xbox 360 with a monthly subscription fee.
GolTV officially launched its HD service on television systems in November 2012 with EastLink. GolTV Canada HD is now available on Ch.428 on Rogers.
|2005 - 2007||2007 - 2009||2009–present|
- "Maple Leafs & Raptors" (PDF). Canadian Radio-Television Commission. 2015-03-05. Retrieved 2015-05-20.
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2005-380 CRTC 2005-08-03
- Gol TV Canada to launch on November 1st Channel Canada 2005-10-27
- Canoe.ca: MLSE scores GolTV 23 January 2009
- Broadcasting Information Bulletin CRTC 2009-323