Kavala International Airport
|Kavala International Airport "Alexander The Great"
Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Καβάλας, "Μέγας Αλέξανδρος"
|Operator||Fraport AG/Copelouzos Group joint venture|
|Elevation AMSL||18 ft / 5 m|
Kavala International Airport "Alexander the Great" (Greek: Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Καβάλας «Μέγας Αλέξανδρος», Kratikós Aeroliménas Kaválas "Mégas Aléxandros") (IATA: KVA, ICAO: LGKV) is an airport located in the municipality of Nestos, in Greece.
The airport was originally located closer to Kavala, in the installations of the Greek Air Force, near the village of Amygdaleonas, where it began its operations in 1952 as Kavala National Airport. On 12 October 1981, it was moved near the town of Chrysoupoli, where it operates today. The relocation greatly improved the service to the nearby island of Thasos and the city of Xanthi, in addition to the continued service to the cities of Kavala and Drama.
The airport was initially used only for domestic flights, as the original name implies. In December 1987, by a joint decision of the Minister of Presidency and the Minister for Transport and Communications it was renamed to Kavala International Airport to be again renamed in January 1992 to Kavala International Airport "Megas Alexandros", by a decision of the Minister for Transport and Communications.
At the beginning of its operation at its new location, the building infrastructure of the airport included only a terminal building. The control Tower, the fire station and the other installations were built later. A small extension to the terminal building was added in 1992. The runway had been built, with the same dimensions that it has today. In 1998 extensive works began for new building infrastructure and today the airport of Kavala is functioning as a single upgraded total (old and new installations together), including all modern facilities for service both to airlines and passengers, contributing to the growth of East Macedonia and Thrace.
In December 2015 the privatisation of Kavala International Airport and 13 other regional airports of Greece was finalised with the signing of the agreement between the Fraport AG/Copelouzos Group joint venture and the state privatisation fund. "We signed the deal today," the head of Greece's privatisation agency HRADF, Stergios Pitsiorlas, told Reuters. According to the agreement, the joint venture will operate the 14 airports (including Kavala International Airport) for 40 years as of 11th April 2017.
Future of the Airport - Fraport Greece’s investment plan
On 22 March 2017, the Fraport-Greece presented its master plan for the 14 regional airports including the International Airport of Kavala.
Immediate actions that will be implemented at the airports as soon as Fraport Greece takes over operations before the launch of the summer season include :
- General clean-up
- Improving lighting, marking of airside areas.
- Upgrading sanitary facilities
- Enhancing services and offering new free Internet connection (WiFi)
- Implementing works to improve fire safety in all the areas of the airports
The following summarizes the enhancement changes that will be started in Ocrober 2017 and will be implemented for Kavala International Airport under Fraport Greece’s investment plan until 2021 :
- Terminal expansion by 2,029 m2
- Remodeling the current terminal
- HBS inline screening
- Refurbishing and expanding the fire station
- Expanding the waste water treatment plant or connection to municipal service
- Reorganizing the airport apron area
- Refurbishing the airside pavement
- 20 percent increase in the number of check-in counters (from 8 to 10)
Airlines and destinations
"KTEL KAVALAS AE" is responsible for serving daily routes to the airport. The taxi fare from the airport to Kavala is approx. 38 euros.
- "KAVALA AIRPORT "M.ALEXANDROS"". ypa.gr. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- "Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Καβάλας `Μ. Αλέξανδρος` (ΚΑΚΒΑ)". Hellenic Civilian Aviation Authority. www.hcaa.gr. Retrieved 27 June 2011.
- "Greece signs privatization of 14 regional airports with Germany's Fraport | TornosNews.gr".
- "REFILE-UPDATE 1-Greece signs major privatisation deal with Germany's Fraport".
- "Fraport Greece’s Development Plan for the New Era at the Greek Regional Airports", fraport-greece.com
- "Ναυλωμένες πτήσεις από Κυπρο προς Ελλαδα με το taxidiamprosta.com".
- "Rejser med Spies - Ferier du ikke vil hjem fra | Spies Rejser".
- "Book & Plan".
- "Oslo Airport - Avinor".
- "SmartWings Flight schedule". smartwings.com.
- "Cheap Flights | Flight Deals and Airline Tickets 2016 / 2017 | Thomas Cook".
- http://www.bts.aero/en/about-us/news/latest-news/29-scheduled-routes-in-14-countries-from-bts-in-summer/. Missing or empty
- Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority: Our Airports: Kavala Airport, "Megas Alexandros"
- Greek Airport Guide: Kavala Airport, "Megas Alexandros"
- Airport information for LGKV at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.