List of zombie video games
Zombies in media
This is an incomplete list of video games strongly featuring zombies. These games feature creatures inspired by the archetypal flesh-eating zombies seen in horror films, B-movies and literature; such as in the films of George A. Romero. Other variants such as the faster types of zombie inspired by the film 28 Days Later's 'infected' are also included. Particular zombie rationale and depictions vary with the source.
Zombies are common or generic enemies in video games. The ZX Spectrum computer game Zombie Zombie, released in Europe during 1984, is considered to be the first video game focused on zombies. Zombie games became more prevalent after the release of the survival horror game Resident Evil in 1996. This release, coupled with the 1997 light gun shooter The House of the Dead gave rise to "an international craze". Resident Evil sold 2.75 million units within the United States alone, its success resulted in it becoming a major horror franchise encompassing video games, novelizations and films.
|7 Days to Die||2013||Linux, Mac OS X, Windows, PlayStation 4||An open-world, voxel-based, role-playing survival RPG set in the aftermath of a third world war. The player controls a survivor trapped in Arizona in the year 2034, where zombies run rampant after an unknown virus infects the remaining surviving population. The player must find food, water, weapons, and other supplies, as well as craft and build up defenses to survive against the relentless horde of the undead.|
|Alive 4-Ever||2009||iOS||Overhead shooter game where the player picks one of four characters and attempts to stave off a zombie horde whilst completing objectives.|
|All Zombies Must Die!||2011||PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||A downloadable top-down view shooter game with role-playing game elements. Up to four players must survive a zombie apocalypse. The sequel to Burn Zombie Burn!.|
|Alone in the Dark 3||1994||DOS, Mac OS, Windows||Survival horror game set in an Old West ghost town. Paranormal investigator Edward Carnby must rescue Emily Hartwood, the other playable character from Alone in the Dark from a band of zombie outlaws.|
|Amy||2012||PlayStation 3, Xbox 360||Downloadable survival horror game. A scientist must escort an eight-year-old girl through a city devastated by an airborne virus that turns those infected into zombies. The scientist is infected and must manage her condition.|
|Area 51||1995||Arcade, PlayStation, Sega Saturn, Windows||Light gun game where players fight off an alien infestation inside Area 51 while fighting the personnel, who have been turned into zombies.|
|Atom Zombie Smasher||2011||Linux, Mac OS X, Windows||Real time strategy game viewed from a top-down perspective where players must coordinate military units in order to rescue civilians from a zombie horde.|
|Beast Busters||1989||Amiga, Arcade, Atari ST||Light gun game for up to three players, who must shoot their way out of a zombie-infested city with submachine guns.|
|Blood||1997||DOS||First Person Shooter An action-horror themed game set in the 1920s. The player plays as an undead henchman, on a quest for revenge. Zombies are common enemies the player will face in almost every level.|
|Blood Drive||2010||PlayStation 3, Xbox 360||Vehicular combat game featuring six arenas filled with zombies, players control drivers who must either defeat zombies or other drivers, dependant on which level is being played.|
|BrainBread 2||2016||Windows, Mac OS X, Linux||First person shooter that is a sequel to the Half Life mod BrainBread.|
|Burn Zombie Burn||2009||PlayStation 3, Windows, Mac OS X,||Zombies appear in waves and must be destroyed by being set alight.|
|Call of Duty: Black Ops (zombie mode)||2010||PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows||First-person shooter survival mode of Call of Duty: Black Ops. A zombie cooperation mode, titled "Zombies", is included in the game. Originally featured in World at War, it was revamped to be included in Black Ops. It is a four-player online and two-player split screen co-op mode (which can also be unlocked online). Based on the original game, in the map "Five", players take the roles of John F. Kennedy, Richard Nixon, Robert McNamara, and Fidel Castro as they fight zombies at The Pentagon. Another map, called Kino der Toten ("Theater/Cinema of the Dead" in German), features the characters from World at War – Edward Richtofen the German, Tank Dempsey the American, Takeo Masaki the Japanese, and Nikolai Belinski the Russian. Limited editions of the game offer graphically-enhanced versions of the four zombie maps from World at War, featuring the newer weapons from the rest of the game. There is an unlockable top-down, two-stick arcade-shooter version of Zombies known as Dead Ops Arcade.|
|Call of Duty: Black Ops: Zombies||2011||iOS, Android||First-person shooter spin off from the zombie minigame in Call of Duty: Black Ops, up to four players can co-operate using voice chat to survive the zombie onslaught.|
|Call of Duty: Black Ops II (zombie mode)||2012||PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows||
First-person shooter survival game, part of the Call of Duty: Black Ops II. Treyarch has confirmed that the Zombies mode will return for Black Ops II with new game modes. Its predecessors were Call of Duty: World at War and Call of Duty: Black Ops. This is the third time for the Zombies mode to appear in a Call of Duty game, and the first time to have game modes other than the traditional Survival mode. Treyarch has also confirmed that Zombies will run on the game's multiplayer engine, allowing for a deeper community experience, along with new features. A new, 8 player co-op game called "Grief" is also supported, featuring 2 teams of 4 players competing to survive, unlike Call of Duty: World at War and Call of Duty: Black Ops, which only supported 4 player online co-op. As with the previous game, each map contains "Easter eggs" side quests, which is used to progress the story.
|Call of Duty: Black Ops III (zombie mode)||2015||Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One||First-person Shooter survival horror video game, part of Call of Duty: Black Ops III. Treyarch confirmed, zombies will return in Call of Duty: Black Ops III, with an alternative expanded campaign. The classic survival horde mode still have the game.|
|Call of Duty: World at War (zombie mode)||2008||PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows||First-person shooter survival mode of Call of Duty: World at War. All versions but the Wii feature the minigame Nazi Zombies, which consists of 1-4 players fighting an unlimited number of waves of Nazi zombies. Players can work together with other people to assassinate the zombies in a "co-op" (cooperative) mode either offline with two players or online with 2-4 players. The players gain points by injuring or killing the zombies or repairing boarded-up windows, which are used to remove blockages inside the bunker and to gain access to more useful weapons than the starting M1911 pistol and unlock more rooms. Zombies continually break the windows to gain entrance and to find and beat the players; when all players are damaged enough to fall, the game is over. Three extra maps for the Nazi Zombie game mode were added with the World at War map packs. These maps, Shi No Numa, Verruckt and Der Riese added on to the Nacht Der Untoten map which came with the game.|
|Call of Duty: World at War – Zombies||2009||iOS||First-person shooter set during World War II where a military bunker must be defended from attacking Nazi zombie soldiers. Based on the zombie mode of Call of Duty: World at War.|
|CarnEvil||1998||Arcade||Light gun game set in an undead-infested amusement park.|
|Carrier||2000||Dreamcast||Survival horror, an explosion aboard a large ship has released a virus which transforms the infected into mutants similar to the Resident Evil zombies.|
|City of the Dead||Cancelled||PlayStation 2, Windows, Xbox||Based on George Romero's Living Dead series, this first-person shooter was shown at the 2005 Electronic Entertainment Expo but dropped from release schedules when publisher Hip Interactive suffered financial troubles.|
|Contagion||2014||Windows||Contagion is a zombie survival horror title by Monochrome Games and is the spiritual successor to the Half-Life 2 mod Zombie Panic: Source.|
|Corpse Craft: Incident at Weardd Academy||2008||Browser, Flash, iOS||A simplified real-time strategy game in which schoolchildren battle each other with zombies they reanimate.|
|Corpse Killer||1994||3DO, Sega CD, 32X, Sega Saturn, Windows||A live-action light gun game featuring a soldier who must fight through an island full of zombies to reach 'necrobiologist' Dr. Hellman.|
|D2||2000||Dreamcast||Survival horror, the survivor of a plane crash in the wilds of Canada discovers that other passengers on the plane are being transformed into zombie-plant hybrids.|
|Darkwatch||2005||PlayStation 2, Xbox||First-person shooter in a Wild West setting. A train robber turned vampire must defeat enemies such as zombies and skeletons while trying to reclaim his humanity.|
|DayZ||2012||Windows||An ARMA 2 mod which features survival horror and shooter gameplay in an open world. The game is online multiplayer. Players must feed their character as well as deal with other players and the living dead.the mod now also has a stand-alone version for pc owners|
|Dead Block||2011||PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||Players must barricade themselves within a building while exploring to find items in order to complete each level.|
|Dead Cells||Pre-release||Browser, Android, iOS||Dead Cells is a team tower defense where players fight against a wild horde of zombies. Dead Cells is the spiritual successor of Die2Nite.|
|Dead Frontier||2008||Browser||Free browser-based top down massively multiplayer online role-playing game set in an open world. Dead Frontier takes place in a post-apocalypse setting teeming with zombies. Players must scavenge supplies in order to survive.|
|Dead Head Fred||2007||PlayStation Portable||Private investigator Fred is murdered, only to find himself reanimated and able to steal enemies' heads to perform different attacks.|
|Dead Island series||2011–present||PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Windows, Xbox 360, Xbox One||Single-player or multiplayer open world games with role-playing elements and an emphasis on combat. Upcoming releases include a new game in the main series, a stealth-focused spinoff and a MOBA game.|
|The Dead Linger||Pre-release||Windows||Online multiplayer game within the survival horror genre. The game features randomly generated open worlds.|
|Dead Nation||2010||PlayStation 3||PlayStation Network twin-stick shooter. The game detects players' geographic locations and groups them accordingly within the game world, displaying players' progress in that region.|
|Dead Rising series||2006–present||iOS, PlayStation 3, Wii, Windows, Xbox 360, Xbox One||Third-person action games which allow the player to destroy zombies with various ordinary items and weapons, from benches and lawnmowers to guns and swords.|
|Dead Rush||Cancelled||PlayStation 2, Xbox||A third-person survival horror game featuring driving game elements. Announced at E3 2004 and set to be released in 2005. It was cancelled shortly thereafter.|
|Dead Space series||2008–2013||PlayStation 3, Wii, Windows, Xbox 360||Science fiction survival horror games where necromorphs, generated from corpses infected by an alien virus, are the primary enemy. They are most effectively killed by "strategic dismemberment", cutting off their limbs.|
|Dead State||Pre-release (Final Release Dec 4, 2014)||Windows||Role-playing game with turn-based combat set in the fictional town of Splendid, Texas. Players must defend their shelter while foraging for supplies and recruiting survivors.|
|Deadlight||2012||Windows, Xbox 360||Side-scrolling Survival-Horror game.|
|Die2Nite||2008||Browser||The players are randomly divided into groups of 40, and each group is allocated within a small town where they must survive as long as possible. Every night at midnight (23:00 game time) the zombies launch an attack on the town.|
|Doom series||1993-presents||MS-DOS, Windows||First-person shooter survival horror game with zombies, demons, monsters & other occultist creatures.|
|Dying Light||2015||PlayStation 4, Windows, Xbox One||Open World survival horror game set in the fictional quarantined city of Harran, an expansive urban environment overrun by a vicious outbreak. The player is sent to infiltrate the city and must survive by relying on parkour free-running and traps, while scavenging resources and crafting weapons to defend against the growing infected population.|
|Entombed||1982||Atari 2600||From a top-down perspective, the player must make their way through an endless, vertically-scrolling maze filled with zombies.|
|The Evil Dead||1984||Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum||The player, as Ash Williams, must fight the walking dead, reanimated limbs and other monsters while trying to defend a log cabin.|
|Evil Dead series||2000–2005||Dreamcast, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, Windows, Xbox||Action game trilogy consisting of Hail to the King, A Fistful of Boomstick and Regeneration. Ash Williams fights against Deadites, "zombified demons".|
|The Evil Within||2014||PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Windows, Xbox 360, Xbox One||A gory survival horror game played from a third person viewpoint. Contains both stealth and action sequences. Zombies must be dispatched and burned to prevent them returning to life.|
|Flesh Feast||1998||Windows||3D game in which the player must guide either a team of four characters or a single character through 17 stages of play, rescuing survivors and fighting zombies.|
|Fort Zombie||2009||Windows||Players must barricade themselves within a building and survive a zombie onslaught.|
|Ghosts and Goblins||1985||Amiga, Arcade, Commodore 64, Commodore 16, NES||is a side-scrolling platforming game developed by Capcom for video arcades and has since been released on several other platforms. It is the first game in the Ghosts 'n Goblins franchise...|
|Ghoul Patrol||1994||Super NES||Sequel to Zombies Ate My Neighbors. The local library's goblin exhibit has come to life, the ghoul patrol must fight historical figures who have become zombies as well as other monsters.|
|Gloom 3||1997||Amiga||First-person shooter, the player dispenses with zombies which explode in a shower of limbs.|
|The Grinder||Unreleased||PlayStation 3, Wii, Xbox 360||The Wii version is a grindhouse themed first-person shooter, the PlayStation and Xbox versions are top-down shooter games. The developer High Voltage Software originally revealed the title in 2009 as a Wii exclusive, later revealing a different version for the other consoles. Since that time the firm has laid off staff, leaving the status of the game's development in question.|
|Half-Life series||1998–2011||Windows, Mac OS X, Several consoles||The player confronts several alien lifeforms that invaded Earth due to a teleport accident. The most prominent foes are humans zombified by some aliens called 'headcrabs'.|
|How To Survive||2013||PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360, Wii U||Twin-stick shooter game where the player must maintain their character's survival needs. A crafting system is included.|
|Horror Zombies from the Crypt||1990||Amiga, Atari ST, DOS||Platform game where the player enters a mansion full of zombies and other ghastly creatures.|
|Human Element||Pre-release||PlayStation 4, Wii U, Windows, Xbox One||Survival game set 35 years after a zombie apocalypse. Players must try to rebuild civilization.|
|The House of the Dead series||1996–2013||Arcade, Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, Wii, Windows, Xbox||Gory light gun Arcade games on rails which feature numerous zombies.|
|Hunter: The Reckoning series||2002–2003||GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox||Trilogy of action games based on the role-playing game, one or more players are tasked with defeating the undead evil that manifests in the town of Ashcroft.|
|H1Z1: Just Survive||2015||Windows, PlayStation 4||MMO open world survival game set in a post-apocalyptic rural United States infected by the H1Z1 outbreak; an effective and intense mutation of the H1N1 virus. The player must survive with emphasis on mainly crafting, cooperation, and scavenging resources against the swarming zombie population, vicious animals such as wolves and bears, and potentially hostile survivors.|
|I Made a Game with Zombies in It!||2009||Xbox 360||Released on Microsoft's Xbox Live Indie Games channel, up to four players shoot droves of attacking enemies, including zombies, while collecting power-ups.|
|Infected||2005||PlayStation Portable||Fast paced shooter game set two weeks before Christmas in New York City. Players assume the role of a rookie police officer and must rescue civilians from the marauding undead.|
|Infestation: Survivor Stories||2012||Windows||A survival horror game similar to DayZ in which the player must survive for as long as possible. A lot of controversy has surrounded this game due to its close resemblance to DayZ|
|Isle of the Dead||1993||DOS||First-person shooter with adventure game elements, the player is stranded on an island filled with zombies.|
|Judge Dredd: Dredd Vs. Death||2003||GameCube, PlayStation 2, Windows, Xbox||First-person shooter, Judge Dredd faces numerous zombies, vampires and mutants whilst attempting to stop Judge Death from destroying the world's population.|
|Killing Floor or Killing Floor 2||2005||Linux, Mac OS X, Windows||A multi-player mod of the Unreal Engine later released as a standalone game. Players assume the role of squad members that must stop increasingly powerful waves of zombie-like clone soldiers.|
|Land of the Dead: Road to Fiddler's Green||2005||Windows, Xbox||First-person shooter set within the same universe as the George Romero film Land of the Dead. Players control Jack, a farmer who must fight through different environments in order to find safety within the City of the Living.|
|The Last Guy||2008||PlayStation 3||An overhead-perspective rescue game in which the player character is a humanity-loving zombie who must guide civilians to escape points in monster-infested cities.|
|Left 4 Dead series||2008–2009||Mac OS X, Windows, Xbox 360||Multiplayer first-person shooter games in which four survivors must cooperate to survive against the hordes of the infected and mutated monsters in an apocalyptic pandemic.|
|Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ||2008||Nintendo DS||A surreal game where an outbreak of zombies infects many classic fairy tale settings, leaving only Little Red Riding Hood and Momotarō to defend themselves from the invasion.|
|Lollipop Chainsaw||2012||PlayStation 3, Xbox 360||An action game which stars a chainsaw-wielding cheerleader who must rid her high school of zombies.|
|Martian Gothic: Unification||2000||PlayStation, Windows||A science fiction survival horror. A trio of astronauts must combat zombies while solving puzzles and piecing together what happened to a research colony on Mars.|
|MediEvil series||1998–2007||PlayStation, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable||The series stars Sir Dan, a cowardly knight slain by a wizard's army. 100 years later the same wizard casts a spell to raise an army of undead, raising Sir Dan in the process.|
|Minecraft||2009||Windows, Xbox 360, iOS||A survival sandbox game where the player needs to survive by building a shelter, and building tools to keep zombies and other monsters away.|
|Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge||1991||Amiga, DOS, FM Towns, Mac OS||Graphic adventure game. The series' antagonist, LeChuck the pirate, is reanimated as a zombie.|
|Nightmare Creatures||1997-1998||PlayStation, Windows, Nintendo 64||A survival horror game based in the nineteenth century. A devil-worshipping cult called 'The brotherhood of the Hecate' perform ungodly experiments in London to try to create super-humans but instead makes horrid monsters. It contains a wide array of creatures including zombies.|
|No More Room in Hell||2011–present||Windows, Linux, OSX, Steam OS||A multiplayer-focused survival game, initially created as a Source Engine mod. The game mainly focuses on co-operation and survival rather than dispatching zombies. Heavily inspired by George Romero's Living Dead series, the zombies are mainly slow-moving and are dangerous in large formed groups, though freshly turned cadavers as well as reanimated children move faster due to the lack of rigor mortis.|
|No Zombies Allowed||2012||iOS||Zombie hordes are looking to take over and munch on survivors. The player must recruit survivors and build up a town.|
|The OneChanbara series||2000–present||PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Portable, Wii, Xbox 360||Hack and slash games involving a bikini-clad female protagonist cutting swathes through an army of undead with a katana.|
|Pixel Force: Left 4 Dead||2010||Windows||A fan remake of Left 4 Dead. Unlike the source game, a first-person shooter, this game is an overhead shooter.|
|Plants vs. Zombies||2009||Mac OS X, Windows, Xbox 360, iOS, Playstation 3||Tower defence game featuring a homeowner defending their home against zombies, which must be defeated by an assortment of plants with different offensive abilities.|
|Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare||2014||Windows, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360||A third person shooter game based on the original Plants vs. Zombies game. It features several new game modes.|
|Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2||2016 release||Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One||A sequel to the 2014 game.|
|Possession||Unreleased||PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||The Enslaver, a traveller who was turned into a zombie through experimentation, seeks revenge by converting humans into zombies and commanding them to attack the living.|
|Postal 2: Apocalypse Weekend||2005||Linux, Mac OS X, Windows||Expansion pack for first-person shooter game Postal 2 featuring a zombie attack on the fictitious town of Paradise.|
|Project Zomboid||Pre-release||Linux, Mac OS X, Windows||An isometric zombie survival role-playing game under ongoing development.|
|Realm of Impossibility||1984||Apple IIe, Atari 8-bit family, Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum||An isometric action adventure game with 13 levels. Zombies, spiders and snakes must be avoided in order to reclaim the crowns stolen by an evil cleric.|
|Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare||2010||PlayStation 3, Xbox 360||Downloadable content for the open-world wild west game Red Dead Redemption. Players try to find a cure for the plague which is turning locals into zombies.|
|Resident Evil series||1996–present||Windows, Various||Survival horror series featuring flesh-eating zombies created by synthetic means, such as infection with the fictional T-virus.|
|Return to Castle Wolfenstein||2001||Linux, Mac OS X, PlayStation 2, Windows, Xbox||First-person shooter from the Wolfenstein series, players fight Nazi soldiers and numerous zombies. The object of the game is to prevent the raising of an army of undead Nazis.|
|Rise of Nightmares||2011||Xbox 360||The game uses full-body control via the Kinect motion sensor, players attack zombies using different types of weapons which degrade over time.|
|Rock of the Dead||2010||PlayStation 3, Xbox 360||Players must bring down attacking zombies with music by using a guitar controller.|
|Shadow Man||1999||Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, PlayStation, Windows||Players assume the role of Mike Leroi, who is cursed to be a zombie slave but has also been chosen to be the Shadow Man. Shadow Man is able to travel between the living world and Deadside, which features zombies and flying corpses.|
|Shellshock 2: Blood Trails||2009||PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||First-person shooter, a zombie outbreak in Vietnam during the Vietnam War is caused by a virus called WhiteKnight.|
|Siren series||2003–2008||PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3||Survival horror series. The primary enemies of the game, "shibito" (屍人?), are living dead who can be 'sightjacked' by the player, allowing them to observe the gameworld through the shibito's eyes.|
|Soulless||2008||Mac OS X||A pre-rendered indie action run 'n' gun platformer with Space Marines that have to rescue their own against a zombie invasion on the Ziltron space station. Rescued marines can then be played on later levels.|
|Space Pirates and Zombies||2011||Windows||A shooter game set in space, containing role-playing and strategy elements. The titular zombies emerge late in the game and operate in a similar manner to the Borg of Star Trek, by assimilating space ships and crew into an undead horde.|
|State of Decay||2013||Windows, Xbox Live Arcade||Unlike games such as Left 4 Dead and Dead Island, State of Decay will focus more on survival, stealth, evasion, distractions, securing the player's resources, and moving through the world than actual zombie combat.|
|Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse||2005||Mac OS X, Windows, Xbox, Xbox 360||A third-person comedy game played as the titular zombie. Humans are converted into zombies when killed by Stubbs, creating an army of zombies.|
|Survival Crisis Z||2004||Windows||Features two different play modes, story and arcade, the former involves surviving a zombie holocaust by scavenging and interacting with other survivors, the latter is a straightforward shooter game.|
|Sweet Home||1989||Family Computer||One of the first survival horror games, it featured zombies as enemies representing previous visitors who never made it out of the mansion alive.|
|Teenage Zombies: Invasion of the Alien Brain Thingys!||2008||Nintendo DS||Platform game with puzzle elements, players control three zombies with different abilities in order to thwart the alien brains which have invaded Earth.|
|They Hunger series||1999||Windows||A trilogy of single-player mods for Half-Life, the first is set in a rural area of the United States of America. Later in the series settings such as missile silos are explored.|
|TimeSplitters: Future Perfect||2005||PS2, Xbox, GameCube||The third installment of the popular Time travel themed First Person Shooter contained playable multiplayer characters and enemy AI that are commonly referred to as Zombies|
|Touch the Dead||2007||Nintendo DS||On-rail, first-person shooter. A prisoner named Rob Steiner escapes from jail while battling countless zombies, the player attacks by using the console's touchscreen.|
|The Typing of the Dead||1999||Dreamcast, Windows||A touch typing trainer version of The House of the Dead 2.|
|Undead Knights||2009||PlayStation Portable||A hack 'n slash game featuring a trio of undead knights who can reanimate their victims as zombies and send them into battle.|
|Unturned||2014||Mac, Windows||A multiplayer survival game described by one critic as a combination of Dayz and Minecraft. The game uses the free-to-play payment model.|
|Urban Dead||2005||Browser||A massively multiplayer online game where players choose whether to play as a human survivor or a zombie in the battle for control of a quarantined city.|
|Voodoo Kid||1997||Windows||The artistic concept of the game is heavily based on voodoo culture. All characters excluding the unnamed protagonist are soulless zombies bounded to a ghost ship.|
|The Walking Dead||2012||Android, iOS, Kindle Fire HDX, Mac OS X, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Ouya, PlayStation Vita, Windows, Xbox 360, Xbox One||Based on the comic series and being developed by Telltale Games, this licensed video game is due to be "multi-year, multi-platform, multi-title".|
|The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct||2013||PlayStation 3, Wii U, Windows, Xbox 360|
|Trapped Dead||2011||Windows||A tactical real time strategy game. Control characters in a 3rd person isometric view through a Zombie survival scenario.|
|Warcraft III series||2002-2003||Mac OS, Mac OS X, Windows||The Undead Scourge race contains classic flesh-consuming zombies (Ghouls and Abominations). The Forsaken race in the later World of Warcraft MMORPG are zombies who had rebelled against the Scourge.|
|World of the Living Dead Resurrection||2013||Browser||Survival Strategy Browser Game currently in closed beta testing. Players compete for resources in order to keep their group of survivors alive in a zombie plagued Los Angeles.|
|The X-Files: Resist or Serve||2004||PlayStation 2||A survival horror game based on the television series, The X-Files. The player can play as either Fox Mulder or Dana Scully, who are investigating a town overrun by zombies.|
|Yakuza: Dead Souls||2011||PlayStation 3||Part of Sega's Yakuza series, the martial combat of previous titles has been replaced with an emphasis on gun battles. The city has been infected with a zombie plague and now a third of the population are zombies.|
|Zafehouse: Diaries||2012||Windows||Single-player turn-based strategy game, portrayed mostly via a map and diary. The game requires management of the survivor's interpersonal relationships in addition to standard zombie survival actions.|
|Zombeer||2014||PlayStation 3, Windows||First-person-survival-horror-comedy-shooter. The player controls a character known only as "K" who awakens alone in a Mexican bar, after a night of "overindulging". Indeed, he has been bitten by one zombie and the virus inside him is gaining power. Imbibing in beer is the only way to prevent it from taking over.|
|Zombi||1986||Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, Commodore 64, Commodore Plus/4, ZX Spectrum||Icon-driven graphic adventure inspired by the film Dawn of the Dead. A group of survivors is forced to land their helicopter atop a zombie infested shopping mall, the vehicle must be refueled so they can escape.|
|Zombie Apocalypse||2009||PlayStation 3, Xbox 360||The player has to shoot or decapitate zombies across seven different areas.|
|Zombie Burger!||2013||iPhone, IOS, Android||An apocalypse based RPG where earth suffers a zombie outbreak leaving only one known survivor. Survivor Flo discovers a way to work together with the zombies, by opening a fast food restaurant serving up the favorited food of the undead, hamburgers! Flo and her new zombie friends work together to re-build their world to a level of function.|
|Zombie Driver||2009||Windows||An overhead-view mission-based driving game taking place in a zombie apocalypse.|
|The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned||2009||PlayStation 3, Windows, Xbox 360||Zombie-themed downloadable content for Borderlands featuring a swamp island filled with undead.|
|Zombie Gunship||2011||iOS||Players act as the gunner on an AC-130U Spectre gunship. The object is to destroy as many zombies and monsters as possible, while helping as many human civilians as possible reach the safety of a bunker, before the zombies reach the bunker or too many friendly fire incidents occur.|
|Zombie Killer Squad||2013||iPhone, IOS, Android||A 2013 infinite running game created by famous you tubers Tom Cassel (Syndicate) and SeaNanners (Adam).|
|Zombie Lane||2011||Facebook, Google+, iOS||A top-down/third person social networking Facebook game. Players must repair their neighbourhood after a zombie apocalypse and locate their missing wife and dog.|
|Zombie Massacre||1998||Amiga||First-person shooter, clone of the popular Amiga first person shooter Doom|
|Zombie Nation||1990||NES||Shoot 'em up in which players control a disembodied samurai's head. A mysterious meteor called Darc Seed crashes to Earth and turns the inhabitants of the United States into zombies.|
|Zombie Panic in Wonderland||2010||Wii||WiiWare game likened to the arcade game Cabal, players move their character left or right along the bottom of the screen while attempting to rid nine stages of zombies.|
|Zombie Panic! Source||2007||Windows||A multiplayer Half-Life 2 mod, in which players are divided into two teams, survivors and zombies. When survivors are killed, they become zombies.|
|Zombie Parkour Runner||2011||iOS||A parkour game where the player must retrieve the items stolen from them by zombies.|
|Zombie Revenge||1999||Arcade, Dreamcast||Beat 'em up where players choose one of three characters to pummel zombies.|
|Zombie Tycoon||2009||PlayStation Portable||Downloadable real-time strategy game. Players control three teams of up to eight zombies to attack the living.|
|Zombie Wonderland||2010||iPhone OS||Chuck must defend four different homes from zombie attack by securing windows and blasting zombies with his shotgun.|
|Zombie Wranglers||2009||Xbox 360||An Xbox Live game where players choose one of four characters to "wrangle" zombies through twenty levels.|
|Zombie Zombie||1984||ZX Spectrum||The player must rid a city of the undead by luring them over the edge of structures. These can be constructed with a helicopter, which can be landed to allow the zombies to pursue the player character.|
|Zombies||2011||Windows Phone, Xbox 360|
|Zombies: Undead or Alive||1989||IBM PC/XT/AT, Apple II Plus||Advertised for PC and Commodore 64 by Pedersen Systems, the game only came out on PC.|
|Zombies Ate My Friends||2013||iOS|
|Zombies Ate My Neighbors||1993||Genesis, Super NES||Shooter game played from an overhead perspective. The game parodies B-movies and features zombies amongst several other types of monster.|
|Zombies, Run!||2012||iOS, Android||An immersive running game.|
|Zombie Escape Amsterdam||2015||Brain Breakers|||
|ZombiU||2012||Wii U||A 2012 survival horror game. The player controls a random survivor who must attempt to survive a zombie apocalypse running amuck in London.|
|Zombie Apocalypse||2016||Windows||Fixed position zombie shooting game. The game has 40 levels, multiple types of enemies and a variety of weapons and upgrades.|
- Shaw, Patrick (2010-09-08). "A History of Zombies in Video Games". GamePro. Archived from the original on 2010-12-25. Retrieved 2011-10-15.
- Sterling, Jim (2010-09-21). "The many faces of videogame zombies - Variety? In my zombies? It's more common than you think!". GamesRadar. Retrieved 2010-09-24.
- Cohen, D.S. "Zombie Zombie for the ZX Spectrum – The First Zombie Video Game". about.com. Retrieved 2011-10-15.
- Kay, Glenn (2008). Zombie Movies: The Ultimate Guide. Chicago Review Press. p. 184.
- Spencer, Spanner (2009-09-03). "Alive 4-ever - A shooter with brains, braaaaaains". PocketGamer.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- Vinay, Vinay (2010-09-03). "Alive 4-ever - List of web-sources". Webtumble.com. Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- Hargreaves, Roger (2012-01-03). "All Zombies Must Die! review - dead again". Metro. Retrieved 2012-01-03.
- Fahs, Travis (2008-06-23). "Alone in the Dark Restrospective - A look back at years of fears". IGN. Retrieved 2012-01-20.
- Thomsen, Michael (2011-06-09). "E3 2011: Amy is Ico With Zombies and It's Totally Brilliant". IGN. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- Baize, Anthony. "Review - Area 51". allgame. Retrieved 2010-09-23.
- Meer, Alec (2011-02-10). "Wot I Think: Atom Zombie Smasher". Rock Paper Shotgun. Retrieved 2011-08-10.
- "Overview - Beast Busters". allgame. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- Hayward, Andrew (2010-11-18). "Blood Drive review". GamesRadar. Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- "BrainBread 2". July 20, 2016. Retrieved July 30, 2016.
- Sharkey, Scott (2009-03-27). "Reviews - You can't spell "Slaughter" without Laughter". 1UP.com. Retrieved 2009-12-18.
- Hargreaves, Roger (2011-12-07). "Call Of Duty: Black Ops Zombies review - return of the living dead". Metro. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- Buchanan, Levi (2009-11-16). "Call of Duty: World at War: Zombies Review - Killing zombies is expensive". IGN. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- Bregman, Adam (1999-07-22). "Cruising for Zombies". LA Weekly. Retrieved 2009-12-18.
- House, Matthew. "Overview - Carrier". allgame. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- Thompson, Jon. "Review - Carrier". allgame. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- "City of the Dead overview". IGN. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- Sulic, Ivan (2005-05-20). "E3 2005: City of the Dead - Quick impressions of the zombie shooter with George Romero's name emblazoned on the cover". IGN. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- Squires, Jim (2010-03-04). "Corpse Craft Review". Gamezebo. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- Baker, Christopher. "Overview - Corpse Killer". allgame. Retrieved 2010-04-11.
- Frankle, Gavin. "Overview - D2". allgame. Retrieved 2010-04-11.
- Colayco, Bob (2005-08-16). "Darkwatch Review". GameSpot. Retrieved 2011-10-05.
- Hargreaves, Roger (2012-07-12). "DayZ review - 28 respawns later". Metro. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- Watters, Chris (2011-07-12). "Dead Block Review". GameSpot. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- Rad, Chloi (2014-08-26). "Only one player can win in Dead Cells, an upcoming co-op survival game with a twist". Pocket Gamer.
- Lada, Jenni (2009-05-14). "Gamertell's first encounter with the undead menace in Dead Frontier's open beta". GamerTell. Retrieved 2011-06-12.
- Meikleham, Dave (2010-04-09). "Gaming's most energetic zombies - Zombies is who fast, innit? (page 2)". GamesRadar. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- Navarro, Alex (2006-05-12). "E3 06: Dead Island Impressions". GameSpot. Retrieved 2010-04-23.
- McGee, Maxwell (2014-07-01). "There's a New Dead Island, and This Time it's a Stealth Game". GameSpot. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
- Cook, Dave (2013-09-30). "The Dead Linger hits Steam Early Access, offers procedurally-generated zombie sandboxes". VG247. Retrieved 2014-08-25.
- Clements, Ryan (2009-08-19). "GC 2009: Dead Nation Hands-on - Stand up against the shambling hordes". IGN. Retrieved 2010-10-03.
- Onyett, Charles (2006-07-07). "Dead Rising Review - Our American lifestyle is ripe with decay. It's time to fix it with a shotgun, or a lawnmower, or a ketchup bottle, or a sickle, or...". IGN. Retrieved 2010-04-23.
- Miller, Ross (2010-02-11). "Dead Rising 2 single player hands-on: two chainsaws, one paddle, no mercy". Joystiq. Retrieved 2010-04-23.
- Perry, Douglass (2004-05-14). "E3 2004: Dead Rush - First Look". GameSpot. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- Blyth, Jon (2010-02-23). "Meet Dead Space 2's necromorphs - In the Sprawl's Saturn-ring city, you're not alone, but you'll wish you were". GamesRadar. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- Dobson, Jason (2008-06-23). "Dead Space loses limbs thanks to 'Strategic Dismemberment'". Joystiq. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- Gillen, Kieron (2010-08-25). "A Blood Red State: Dead State Revealed". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- House, Matthew. "Overview - The Evil Dead". allgame. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- Scalzo, John. "Evil Dead: A Fistful of Boomstick (VIS Entertainment/THQ)". UGO. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- Livingston, Christopher (2014-10-17). "The Evil Within Review". PC Gamer. Retrieved 2014-10-29.
- Fielder, Lauren (1997-12-09). "Flesh Feast Preview - Find out firsthand what it's like to walk among the dead". GameSpot. Retrieved 2010-04-24.
- Gillen, Kieron (2009-09-08). "A Starborn Thing: Fort Zombie". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 2010-04-24.
- Rudden, Dave (2010-01-25). "This week in DLC: More zombies, cheaper Portals". GamePro. Archived from the original on 2010-01-30. Retrieved 2010-05-14.
- Smith, Andy (October 1997). "AF Previews - Gloom 3". Amiga Format. Future Publishing (102): 34.
- Ekberg, Brian (2009-06-04). "The Grinder First Look". GameSpot. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- Geddes, Ryan (2011-03-31). "Life Support: Games in Danger (page 2)". IGN. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- Cobbett, Richard (2013-10-23). "How to Survive Review". IGN. Retrieved 2014-10-06.
- Webb, Trenton (February 1991). "Screenplay - Horror Zombies from the Crypt". Amiga Format. Future Publishing (19): 75.
- Sarkar, Samit (2014-03-21). "Robotoki's Human Element coming to PC, Xbox One and PS4, not Ouya, in CryEngine". Polygon. Retrieved 2014-11-08.
- Cowen, Nick (2009-02-06). "House Of the Dead: Overkill preview - Forget flowers and candy - grab a light-gun and get ready for zombie grindhouse heaven with Sega's latest Wii release this Valentine's Day". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- Goldstein, Hilary (2002-05-21). "Hunter: The Reckoning Review". GameSpot. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- Steinberg, Steve (2003-08-12). "Reviews - Hunter: The Reckoning Wayward". GameSpy. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- Gerstmann, Jeff (2003-11-04). "Hunter: The Reckoning Redeemer Review - If you're in search of a cooperative action game to play with friends, Hunter works, but it certainly isn't the most exciting game in town". GameSpot. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- Whitehead, Dan (2010-01-22). "Xbox Indie Games Roundup (page 3)". Eurogamer. Retrieved 2010-07-11.
- Davis, Ryan (2005-11-17). "Infected Review - There's a real raw, visceral satisfaction to Infected, which is undermined by a short, single-minded story mode and an ambitious but inherently flawed multiplayer game". GameSpot. Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- House, Michael. "Overview - Isle of the Dead". allgame. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- Wolpaw, Erik (2005-03-21). "Judge Dredd: Dredd VS Death Review - Released in Europe in 2003, the game hasn't gotten a whole lot better with age. It's a short, simplistic shooter that's not worth even its budget price". GameSpot. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- Sulic, Ivan (2005-03-21). "Judge Dredd: Dredd vs. Death - I am the blah!". IGN. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- "Overview". Tripwire Interactive. Retrieved 2014-09-16.
- "Killing Floor - How long can you survive?". PC Gamer (UK). Future Publishing: 119. July 2005.
- Navarro, Alex (2006-02-10). "Land of the Dead Review - This game fails to deliver even the most garden-variety zombie-killing thrills, due to its inept combat, bad visuals, and cripplingly stupid artificial intelligence". GameSpot. Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- Miller, Greg (2008-08-27). "The Last Guy Review - Put on your cape and save humanity". IGN. Retrieved 2010-04-24.
- Stapleton, Dan (2008-11-17). "Left 4 Dead - A terrifying redefinition of co-op gaming that will have you drenched in blood, sweat, and tears". GamesRadar.
- Marriott, Scott. "Overview - Left 4 Dead 2". allgame. Retrieved 2010-05-20.
- Stella, Shiva (2008-12-02). "Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ Review". GameSpot. Retrieved 2010-04-24.
- Yin-Poole, Wesley (2011-08-01). "Lollipop Chainsaw heads west in 2012". Eurogamer. Retrieved 2011-08-11.
- Provo, Frank (2002-01-26). "Martian Gothic: Unification Review - Martian Gothic". GameSpot. Retrieved 2010-05-19.
- Mueller, Greg (2005-09-13). "MediEvil Resurrection Review - The game hasn't aged well, and although it has plenty of personality, the maddening camera control and broken combat mechanics quickly spoil the fun". GameSpot. Retrieved 2010-04-11.
- Houser, Jeffry (2009-12-21). "Review - Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge". Just Adventure. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- Nelson, Mike (2011-11-03). "No More Room in Hell Impressions". GameSpy. Retrieved 2012-02-28.
- "iTune Preview Description".
- Mielke, James (2007-04-02). "Oneechanbara Vortex Preview - We shoot the breeze with Tamsoft about zombie killing babes". 1UP.com. Retrieved 2010-05-14.
- Mackey, Bob (2009-11-29). "The Left 4 Dead Demake: Low-Tech Zombie-Killing". 1UP.com. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- Hatfield, Daemon (2009-05-05). "Plants vs. Zombies Review - When plants and zombies fight, gamers win". IGN. Retrieved 2010-05-20.
- dela Fuente, Derek (2005-05-09). "Exclusive: Possession Q&A Feature". Total Video Games. Retrieved 2010-05-20.
- Leeper, Justin (2004-06-25). "Postal 2 Expansion Preview - Apocalypse Weekend: Pray you live to see Monday". IGN. Retrieved 2009-07-30.
- Smith, Adam (2011-08-31). "Undead To Rights: Project Zomboid Update". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- House, Matthew. "Overview - Realm of Impossibility". allgame. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- Meikleham, Dave (2010-09-20). "New Red Dead Redemption DLC zombifies the Wild West, also undead grizzlies FTW". GamesRadar. Retrieved 2010-09-22.
- "Resident Evil Series Profile - IGNcube explores RE's twisted plotlines. Included: Resident Evil Zero, Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2". IGN. 2004-06-25. Retrieved 2010-05-21.
- Ekberg, Brian (2009-09-25). "Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles Updated Hands-On - Leon and Krauser fight for survival in South America in our latest look at this Resident Evil rail shooter". GameSpot. Retrieved 2010-05-21.
- Gerstmann, Jeff (2003-05-10). "Return to Castle Wolfens Review - Xbox Live subscribers willing to spend the time to learn the game's maps properly will definitely get a lot of enjoyment out of the game's online component". GameSpot. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- Petit, Carolyn (2011-09-07). "Rise Of Nightmares review". GameSpot. Retrieved 2012-01-18.
- Watts, Steve (2010-02-10). "Rock of the Dead Combines Music, Zombies - A new Wii budget title takes a new spin on the Typing of the Dead style". 1UP.com. Retrieved 2010-04-11.
- White, Jason. "Overview - Shadow Man". allgame. Retrieved 2010-04-16.
- White, Jason. "Review - Shadow Man". allgame. Retrieved 2010-04-16.
- Brudvig, Erik (2009-03-02). "Shellshock 2 Review". IGN. Retrieved 2010-05-14.
- Bedigian, Louis. "Don't Turn Out The Lights! "Siren" Unleashes a New Horror For PlayStation 2". GameZone. Retrieved 2010-04-10.
- Mattas, Jeff (2011-05-24). "Space Pirates and Zombies preview". Shacknews. Retrieved 2012-01-20.
- Gerstmann, Jeff (2005-10-21). "Stubbs the Zombie Review - Eating the brains of the living to form a massive army of the undead is extremely satisfying, often hilarious, and, unfortunately, almost painfully brief". GameSpot. Retrieved 2010-05-14.
- Dugan, Patrick; de Meijer, Robert (2008-07-14). "Survival Crisis Z - Why are you weeping?". Play This Thing. Retrieved 2010-05-14.
- "Top 11 Survival Horror Games: Sweet Home". UGO Networks. 2008-05-21. Retrieved 2009-04-17.
- Sho (December 21, 2007). "Sweet Home: Staff Review". HonestGamers. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- DeVries, Jack (2008-04-16). "Teenage Zombies: Invasion of the Alien Brain Thingys Review - The tamest zombies you'll ever see". IGN. Retrieved 2010-05-14.
- Martin, Joe (2010-04-29). "Free Games I Like: They Hunger". bit-tech. Retrieved 2010-05-18.
- Primary Data retrieved from playing the stated videogame on my Xbox
- Davis, Ryan (2007-05-22). "Dead 'n' Furious Review - Replacing a light gun with touch-screen support doesn't make up for Touch the Dead's contrived gameplay or its stiff, boxy presentation". GameSpot. Retrieved 2010-05-14.
- "Overview - The Typing of the Dead". allgame. Retrieved 2010-04-10.
- Shau, Austin (2009-10-23). "Undead Knights Review - Adding zombies into the mix isn't enough to revive Undead Knights from its stale, typical hack-and-slash action". GameSpot. Retrieved 2010-10-03.
- Smith, Graham (2014-07-10). "Unturned: Minecraft Meets DayZ Meets Huge Popularity". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
- Mastrapa, Gus (2008-03-26). "Urban Dead". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 2010-05-18.
- unknown (2008-03-26). "VooDoo Kid". Retrieved 2010-10-10.
- Miller, Greg (2011-02-18). "Walking Dead Video Game Lives". IGN. Retrieved 2012-01-03.
- "Trapped Dead: The First Tactical Zombie Survival Game". Headup Games. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "Zombocalypse overruns Los Angeles County as World of the Living Dead: Resurrection begins Closed Beta Testing". Develop. 2013-10-31. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- Schilling, Chris (2011-07-11). "Yakuza: Of the End Review". Eurogamer. Retrieved 2011-10-05.
- Livingston, Christopher (2013-08-03). "Now Playing: an incompetent post-apocalyptic social worker in Zafehouse Diaries". PC Gamer. Retrieved 2013-08-15.
- Dillon, Tony (May 1990). "Screen Scene - Zombi". CU Amiga. EMAP: 29.
- Buchanan, Levi (2009-09-24). "Zombie Apocalypse Review - Robotron meets Left 4 Dead meets 28 Days Later". IGN. Retrieved 2010-04-27.
- Brown, Christopher. "Overview - Zombie Driver". allgame. Retrieved 2010-04-16.
- Watters, Chris (2009-11-26). "Borderlands: The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned Review - Moody new environments, diverse new foes, and even more of Borderlands' signature humor make this new content very entertaining and very worthwhile". GameSpot. Retrieved 2010-04-10.
- Webster, Andrew (2011-03-16). "Zombie Lane Review". Gamezebo. Retrieved 2011-06-12.
- "Now Playing - Zombie Nation". Nintendo Power. Nintendo of America (23): 90. April 1991.
- Fletcher, JC (2007-04-12). "Virtually Overlooked: Zombie Nation". Joystiq. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- Reed, Kristan (2010-04-16). "Download Games Roundup". Eurogamer. Retrieved 2010-08-15.
- Thang, Jimmy (2009-01-23). "Mod of the Moment: Zombie Panic! Source - Are you dying for a decent zombie mod?". IGN. Retrieved 2010-04-13.
- "iTunes App Store-Zombie Parkour Runner".
- Williamson, Colin. "Overview - Zombie Revenge". allgame. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- Clements, Ryan (2009-10-30). "Zombie Tycoon Review - Conquering the world, one brain at a time". IGN. Retrieved 2010-04-16.
- Kuo, Ryan (2010-06-12). "Zombie Wonderland Review - A unique blend of gore and chores that totally fails in the fun department". Gamezebo. Retrieved 2010-06-14.
- Brown, Christopher. "Overview - Zombie Wranglers". allgame. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- Cohen, D.S. "Zombie Zombie for the ZX Spectrum – The First Zombie Video Game". About.com. Retrieved 2010-05-14.
- Lucas, Thomas (2009-10-27). "Zombies Ate My Neighbors Review - The cult classic comes to mbiU". IGN. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- Escape from Zombies in Amsterdam
- "Gametop Pte Ltd". Gametop. Gametop Pte Ltd.