Maseno University is a university based in Maseno, near Kisumu, Kenya, founded in 1991. It is one of seven public universities in Kenya. It has over 10,000 students pursuing programs offered on the university campuses and it is currently ranked among the best universities in Kenya.
It is located in Maseno Township along Kisumu-Busia road, 25 km from Kisumu City and 400 km west of Nairobi. It has four campuses: The Main Campus, Kisumu Campus, Homa Bay Campus and eCampus. The main campus is along Kisumu-Busia road, while the Kisumu campus is located in Kisumu City. Homa Bay Campus is located in Homa Bay town. The eCampus, the first of its kind in Kenya, is a virtual campus that runs flexible online programmes both for on-campus students as well as off-campus students enrolled for various Maseno University programmes through eLearning.
The name "Maseno" was coined by Rev. J.J. Willis out of the name of a tree known in local dialects as "Oseno" or "Oluseno" that stood next to the spot where the first missionaries in the region erected their base.
Faculties and schools
The university offers undergraduate and post-graduate program at the following faculties and schools:
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Science
- School of Public Health
- School of Environment and Earth Sciences
- School of Development and Strategic Studies
- School of Graduate Studies
- School of Business and Economics
- School of Medicine
- School of Agriculture and Food Security
- School of Mathematics and Actuarial Science
- School of Computing and Informatics
- School of Planning and Architecture
- Institute of Gender Studies
Maseno is an accredited university, enacted by an Act of Parliament in 1991. In 2000 it was enacted to be a fully fledged university. At the December 2008 graduation ceremony, H.E. the President of Kenya, Hon. Mwai Kibaki, appointed Professor Frida Karani, PhD, as the second chancellor, after the expiry of the tenure of William Wamalwa. The new chancellor was honoured by Maseno University, receiving the Doctor of Education honoris causa before presiding over the ninth graduation ceremony on 17 December 2009.
The vice-chancellor was appointed on 18 February 2011, succeeding Professor Frederick N. Onyango.
Kisumu Hotel was acquired by the university in 2004. The bed space has doubled from the original 40 to 80 rooms. The hotel has enabled the university to offer training in Eco-tourism, Hotel and Institution Management.
- "Home". ecampus.maseno.ac.ke. Maseno University. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
- "Maseno University Announcement". Maseno University. 2011-03-04. Retrieved 2011-03-23.
- "SOMU". Maseno University. Retrieved 3 November 2016.