Miss Earth 2002
|Miss Earth 2002|
|Date||29 October 2002|
|Venue||Folk Arts Theater, Pasay City, Metro Manila, Philippines|
|Broadcaster||ABS-CBN, The Filipino Channel, Star World|
|Debuts||Albania, Barbados, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Chile, China, Czech Republic, Egypt, Germany, Ghana, Great Britain, Greece, Honduras, Korea, Kosovo, Mexico, Nepal, Nigeria, Norway, Paraguay, Poland, Switzerland, Uganda, Yugoslavia|
|Withdrawals||Brazil, Croatia, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Netherlands, Taiwan, Zanzibar|
|Best National Costume||Lee Jin-ah
|Photogenic||April Rose Perez
Miss Earth 2002, the 2nd edition of Miss Earth pageant, was held in Pasay, Philippines on 29 October 2002. In its second year, 55 delegates participated, exceeding the number of contestants in Miss International 2002, thereby becoming the world's third biggest international pageant in terms of number of contestants.
Džejla Glavović of Bosnia & Herzegovina won the title that year, also receiving Miss Talent. However, on May 28, 2003, the Miss Earth Foundation officially dethroned her "due to her failure to comply with the stipulations in her contract." First runner-up from Kenya, Winfred Omwakwe, took over the position of Miss Earth 2002. Omwakwe was formally crowned as the new Miss Earth 2002 on August 7, 2003 at the Carousel Gardens in Mandaluyong City, Philippines.
|Miss Earth 2002|
|Miss Earth - Air 2002|
|Miss Earth - Water 2002|
|Miss Earth - Fire 2002||
|Miss Friendship||Gibraltar - Charlene Gaiviso|
|Miss Photogenic||Philippines - April Ross Perez|
|Miss Talent||Bosnia & Herzegovina - Džejla Glavović|
|Best National Costume||Korea - Lee Jin-ah|
|Best in Long Gown||Peru - Claudia Ortiz de Zevallos|
|Best in Swimsuit||Colombia - Diana Patricia Botero|
Final Question in Miss Earth 2002: "Which has more significance to your life right now, a sunrise or a sunset?"
Final Answers in Miss Earth 2002: "Of course, sunrise because, first, it's romantic and when you look at sunrise you can feel something beautiful, a new day, and a new life. And when you look at sunrise I can feel positive energy to do something good for Earth. And I would like to say that it's not about sunrise, it's about our Mother Earth because we just have one home. So stop talking. Start acting." - Džejla Glavović, represented Bosnia & Herzegovina (Dethroned Miss Earth 2002).
"To me, the sunrise and the sunset are very important. But I must say, the sunrise is more important. I look forward to a brighter day. A day when all of us will put our hands together to fight against all our environmental problems and to live a better lives. Therefore, I believe all of us would like our children to have a better day. A day which they can breathe fresh air and drink fresh water and live a happy life." - Winnie Adah Omwakwe, represented Kenya (Succeeded Miss Kenya as Miss Earth 2002).
List of countries and delegates that participated in Miss Earth 2002:
- Albania - Anjeza Maja
- Argentina - Mercedes Apuzzo
- Australia - Ineke Candice Leffers
- Barbados - Ramona Ramjit
- Belgium - Stéphanie Moreel
- Brazil - Adriana Suzuki
- Bolivia - Susana Valeria Vaca Díez
- Bosnia & Herzegovina - Džejla Glavović
- Canada - Melanie Grace Bennett
- Chile - Nazhla Sofía Abad González
- China - Zhang Mei
- Colombia - Diana Patricia Botero Ibarra
- Costa Rica - María del Mar Ruiz Carballo
- Croatia - Ivana Muciç
- Czech Republic - Apolena Tůmová
- Denmark - Julie Kristen Villumsen
- Dominican Republic - Yilda Santana Subervi
- Egypt - Ines Gohar
- El Salvador - Elisa Sandoval Rodríguez
- Estonia - Merilin Malmet
- Finland - Elina Hurve
- Germany - Miriam Thiele
- Ghana - Beverly Asamoah Jecty
- Gibraltar - Charlene Gaiviso
- Great Britain - Louise Glover
- Greece - Juliana Patricia Drossou
- Guatemala - Florecita de Jesús Cobián Azurdia
- Honduras - Leslie Paredes Barahona
- Hungary - Szilvia Toth
- India - Reshmi Ghosh
- Italy - Valentina Buonarroti
- Kenya - Winnie Adah Omwakwe
- Korea - Lee Jin-ah
- Kosovo - Mirjeta Zeka
- Lebanon - Raghida Antoun Farah
- Malaysia - Pamela Ramachandran
- Mexico - Libna Viruega Roldán
- Nepal - Nira Gautam
- Nicaragua - Yahoska Maria Cerda Urbina
- Nigeria - Vanessa Ibiene Ekeke
- Norway - Linn Naimak Olaisen
- Panama - Carolina Lilibeth Miranda Samudio
- Paraguay - Adriana Raquel Baum Ramos
- Peru - Claudia Ortiz de Zevallos Cano
- Philippines - April Rose Lim Perez
- Poland - Agnieszka Portka
- Puerto Rico - Deidre Rodríguez
- Singapore - Gayathri Unnijkrishan
- Spain - Cristina Carpintero
- Switzerland - Jade Chang
- Tanzania - Tausi Abdalla
- Thailand - Lalita Apaiwong
- Uganda - Martha Semegura Nambajjwe
- USA - Casey Marie Burns
- Venezuela - Dagmar Catalina Votterl Peláez
- Yugoslavia - Slađana Božović
- Brazil - Adriana Luci de Souza Reis
- Diaz, Illac (October 7, 2002). "Around Miss Earth in 56 ways". Manila Standard Today. Retrieved January 10, 2009.
- Couceiro, Dolores (October 30, 2002). "Miss Tierra 2002". Concursos de Belleza. Archived from the original on January 29, 2009. Retrieved January 10, 2009.
- Palmero, Paul (June 18, 2005). "Pageant History". Pageant Almanac. Archived from the original on December 12, 2008. Retrieved January 7, 2008.
- West, Donald (December 18, 2007). "Miss Earth History". Pageantopolis. Archived from the original on December 16, 2007. Retrieved January 7, 2008.
- Diaz, Illac (October 22, 2002). "Beauties walk out on Miss Earth". Manila Standard Today. Retrieved January 10, 2009.
- Nguyen, Ha (October 27, 2003). "South-eastern beauty enters Miss Earth Contest". VietNamNet Bridge. Archived from the original on January 25, 2007. Retrieved January 10, 2009.
- Lo, Ricardo F.; Vanzi, Sol Jose (August 11, 2003). "Kenyan is Miss Earth". Philippine Headline News Online/Philippine Star. Retrieved January 10, 2009.
- Cowing, Emma (May 13, 2008). "Green Godesses [sic]". The Scotsman, Scotland. Retrieved January 10, 2009.
- Yazon, Giovanni Paolo J. (August 14, 2003). "Miss Kenya is now Miss Earth". Manila Standard Today. Retrieved January 10, 2009.
- Lo, Ricardo F. (December 10, 2008). "A Gallery of Black Beauty Queens". The Philippine Star. Retrieved January 10, 2009.
- Galvez, Ric (October 30, 2002). "Miss Earth 2002 Finals Night Review". Analyzing Beauty Pageants. Archived from the original on November 20, 2008. Retrieved January 10, 2009.
- Soul, John (October 20, 2002). "Miss Earth 2002". Woman of the Earth News. Retrieved December 27, 2009.