National Institute of Technology, Patna
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
NIT Patna logo
|Motto||Excellence in scientific and technical education|
|Director||Professor Asok De|
|Location||Patna, Bihar, India
The National Institute of Technology Patna (NIT Patna), formerly Bihar School of Engineering and Bihar College of Engineering, is a public engineering institution located in Patna in the Indian state of Bihar. It was renamed to NIT Patna, by the Government of India on January 28, 2004. It is an autonomous institute functions directly under Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Facilities
- 4 Library
- 5 Computer center
- 6 Academic departments
- 6.1 Department of Integrated Msc in Physics
- 6.2 Department of Integrated Msc in Chemistry
- 6.3 Department of Integrated Msc in Mathematics
- 6.4 Department of Architecture
- 6.5 Department of Civil Engineering
- 6.6 Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- 6.7 Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
- 6.8 Department of Electrical Engineering
- 6.9 Department of Information Technology
- 6.10 Department of Mechanical Engineering
- 7 Extracurricular activities
- 8 Festivals
- 9 Indoor and outdoor sports
- 10 Societies
- 11 Ranking
- 12 Notable alumni
- 13 Residential student halls
- 14 See also
- 15 References
- 16 External links
NIT Patna is the third oldest engineering college of India after IIT Roorkee and College of Engineering Pune. Its origin can be traced to 1886 with the establishment of a survey training school and subsequent renaming it to Bihar college of Engineering in 1900. A graduate level curriculum was introduced in 1924. It was renamed Bihar College of Engineering in 1932. In 2004 the government of India upgraded the college to National Institute of Technology (NIT) status, as the state of Bihar had lost its only Regional Engineering College (REC), located at Jamshedpur, when Jharkhand was carved out of Bihar in 2000. By 2002, the Indian government decided to upgrade all RECs to NITs, with the aim of having at least one NIT per state. Bihar College of Engineering was the first institute to be directly upgraded to NIT status. In 2007, it was granted Institute of National Importance status in accordance with the National Institutes of Technology Act, 2007.
NIT Patna functions from a 40 acres (16 ha) campus along Ashok Rajpath, geographically which lies on the southern bank of the river Ganges exactly opposite the point of its confluence with river Gandak. Land for a new campus, a 100 acres (40 ha) plot, has been assigned at Sikandarpur village in Bihta, around 40 km from Patna. Earlier it was assigned at Dumri village in Bihta. Once NIT-Patna shifts to its new campus in Bihta, it will run some management courses on the present campus at Ashok Rajpath.
- Central Library
- Computer Center
- Student Activity center(not functioning)
- College Canteens(Govt Canteen, Nascafe Canteen)
- TT and Badminton court with Synthetic International flooring(not functioning)
- Squash Courts(not functioning)
- Medical Center
- Cricket / Football Ground with 1000+ students strength stands
The institute maintains a central library which has 1,50,000 books and 1,100 e-journals and works for only about 10 hours per day. The Central Library has an e-resource section on the ground floor, a study section on the first floor and a separate section for computer related books on the second floor.
The Electronic Data Automation lab is the central lab used for general information access and research work.
The institute has a computer center with 6 computer labs and a 2 virtual classroom equipped with computing and audio-visual facilities such as interactive boards, and projectors. The labs have CCTV cameras for conducting online interviews, tests and presentations. CC has internet connectivity throughout the day so students can use internet facility. A central bandwidth of 1GBps provided by RailTel fir uninterrupted high speed internet connection.
The Institute is organised into six engineering and an architecture department along with individual departments for physics, chemistry, mathematics and humanities.
Department of Integrated Msc in Physics
The Department of Physics was established in 1924 and since then has been functioning as an important part of the institute. As of now, the Department has eight faculty members and four support staffs at different levels. 
At present, there are 12 students enrolled in Integrated M. Sc. And 8 students enrolled in the Ph. D. program.
The Department is mentored by Prof. K.L.Chopra ,Ex-Director,IIT Kharagpur. 
Department of Integrated Msc in Chemistry
The department's own teaching program, 5 year Integrated M.Sc. in Chemistry, has been started in the current academic year (2015-16), and research activity is gradually being expanded. The department has been and will remain committed to quality teaching and research with a conscious effort to achieve excellence.
Departmental Curricula: Teaching:
B. Tech. 1st year (1st and 2nd Semester) General Chemistry course (600 students) Chemical Sciences (1CH101) B. Tech. 1st year (1st and 2nd Semester) General Chemistry Lab (600 students) Chemical Sciences Lab (1CH102) B. Tech. 3rd and 4th Semester UG Course (600 students) Green Technology (CH104) B. Tech. 3rd and 4th Semester UG Course (600 students) Bio-Science (4GE105). 
Department of Integrated Msc in Mathematics
The Department of Mathematics was established in 1924 and department offer several courses that support other engineering departments.
Recently, two new programs, Integrated M. Sc. in Mathematics and M. Tech in Computational Mathematics are started and running successfully from the academic year 2015-2016.
Current faculty strength of the department is eight and they are experienced in teaching and research in several branches of Mathematics.
Department of Mathematics is one of the backbone of the Institution as it is an essential department for engineering courses up to Ph.D level. 
Department of Architecture
HOD is Dr. Kamini Sinha. The department offers a 5-year degree program in Bachelor of Architecture and Master in Urban and Regional Planning. It provides courses in graphics and design, including Architectural Design, Climatology, Visual Arts, Architectural Graphics, and Architectural Acoustics.
Students are offered electives and in the last two semesters they are involved exclusively in apprenticeship and projects.
Department of Civil Engineering
HOD is Dr. Vivekanand Singh. The first degree program offered by the college was in the sphere of civil engineering. It offers undergraduate courses in civil engineering and postgraduate courses in areas such as water resource engineering, structural engineering and transportation engineering. It also offers doctoral programs.
The department undertakes proof checking of engineering designs, detailed project reports and consultancy services to governmental and non-governmental agencies.
Department of Computer Science and Engineering
HOD is Dr. Prabhat Kumar. The department offers courses leading to Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering. Courses include Data Structures; Design and Analysis of Algorithms; System Programming; Computer Networks; Data Mining and Warehousing; Distributed and Parallel Computing; Mobile and Wireless Computing; Real-time Systems; Cryptography; Genetic Algorithm; and Artificial Intelligence. Students are offered a variety of electives.
Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
HOD is Dr Gayadhar Pradhan. The department offers courses leading to Bachelor of Technology in Electronics and Communication Engineering.
Courses include Digital Electronics; Analog Electronics; Solid State Physics and Devices; Intelligent Instruments; Optical Fiber Communication; Digital Signal Processing; IC Fabrication; and VLSI. Students are offered electives.
Department of Electrical Engineering
HOD is Prof. U.S. Triar. The department offers undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
Core courses under the undergraduate program include Electrical Power System, Electrical Machines, Control System, Instrumentation, Microprocessors, Power Electronics and Digital Signal Processing. Postgraduate courses include Control System Engineering and Power System Engineering. Students are offered electives.
Department of Information Technology
HOD is Dr. Prabhat Kumar. The department offers courses leading to Bachelor of Technology in Information Technology.
From 2013 the IT branch was merged with CSE, so this branch does not exist distinctly.
Department of Mechanical Engineering
HOD is Dr. Amar Nath Sinha. The department offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs.
Core courses on the undergraduate program include Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Fluid Machinery, CFD, CAD/CAM, Machine Drawing, Manufacturing by Shaping and Joining, Design of Machine Elements, I.C. Engines and Gas Turbines, and Refrigeration and Air Conditioning. Specialized courses for higher degrees include Thermal Turbo Machinery, Refrigeration, Air Conditioning and Heat Transfer.
Students are offered various electives in the fields of automation, heat transfer finite element method, operation research, and others. Their knowledge and skills are augmented by professors, helping PhD students and comprehensible research works.
From institute website to the annual cultural fest, the institute delegates responsibility to its students wherever possible. With activities and competitions taking place every other day, students are provided with opportunities to develop their soft skills and therefore broaden their perspective. A few notable events are listed below.
The annual cultural fest of NIT Patna has grown into one of the largest youth festivals of the region. Every January, Melange provides a platform for students across the institute to showcase their talent in competitions, providing the students of NITP an opportunity to interact with celebrities and corporate persons and thereby hone their creative and managerial skills. Events include debates, dramas, essays and writings.
The annual technical fest of NIT Patna, Corona has become one of the biggest technical fests of the country. Recent editions have attracted participants from over 50 institutes from across the country, thus making it the largest technical fest of Bihar and Jharkhand. It is a showcasing of the best innovations in the world of technology. Events include robotics, circuit designing, programming, and presentations. The event has lectures by some of the biggest names in the field. Artists such as Kumar Vishwas, irshad kamil have performed in the event. Famous Bands from India and foreign such as Raeth(band), M-sonic have also performed in the event.
The event is entirely managed by students.
The annual sports meet of college Parakram is an intramural sport festival. In this all the sports are played and team of each department compete with each other. For girls teams are formed year wise. the Sports Played in Prakram
- Cricket (Boys / Girls)
- Football (Boys Only)
- Volleyball Ball (Boys / Girls)
- Basketball ( Boys/ Girls
- Table Tenis
Indoor and outdoor sports
Every year in January, NIT Patna holds an annual indoor and outdoor sports week, with events such as cricket, football, table tennis, badminton, carom, and discus throw. Managed by students, this event tests their organising and managerial skills.
The institute recognizes these major societies:
- The Cultural Society organizes a cultural extravaganza under the name Mélange - the melting pot of talents.
- The Common Room Society organizes indoor games competitions like chess, carom, table tennis, badminton, and Su-doku championship.
- The Outdoor Society conducts field events like cricket, football, volleyball, javelin, discus and includes the Athletic Society, which conducts the athletic events.
- The EXE-Extreme Engineering society provides lectures on robotics and embedded systems which is no more functional because of lack of administrative support.
- NIT-Patna started up student chapters with an internationally recognized societies like ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) for ME students and IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) for ECE and EE students.
|University and college rankings|
|Engineering – India|
|Business – India|
NIT Patna has been ranked as the 57th best Engineering College of India in the Edu-Rand Rankings of 2015. The survey was done jointly by Edu, an Indian company and Rand Corporation, a non-profit American thinktank. NIT Patna is ranked 87 in National Institutional Ranking Framework published by Ministry of Human Resource Development in April 2016.
- Chandeshwar Dayal, retired Chief Engineer, Water Resources Department, Bihar
- Nitish Kumar, Chief Minister of Bihar
- Ratan Kumar Sinha, Chairman of Atomic Energy Commission of India (AEC); Secretary, Department of Atomic Energy (DAE)
- Ratan K Verma, management and leadership, KPMG
ChandraShekhar Prasad, Retired Director General , CPWD
Aditya Prakash Mishra, Retired Member, Railway Board
Arun Sinha, Editor, Nav Hind Times, Goa
Kaushal K Mishra, Retired MD & CEO, Tata-AIG General Insurance Co.
Gopal Krishna,Retired Ex. Director NTPC and CEO, Bharatiya Rail Bijali Company Limited.
Residential student halls
The housing facilities (hostels) are:
- Sone Hostel Block A (earlier known as New Engineer's Hostel)
- Sone Hostel Block B (earlier known as Engineer's Hostel-1)
- Kosi Hostel (New Boys Hostel)
- Ganga Hostel (Block A,B & C earlier knows as Girl Engineer's Hostel - GEH )
- Bagmati Hostel (earlier known as Engineers' Hostel-2)
- Kurji Girls' Hostel
These hostels can only accommodate 40% of the students. The rest live in private lounges & p.g. may be near or far from campus. However, new hostels for both boys and girls are under construction.
- National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
- National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
- National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur
- "National Institute of Technology, Patna celebrates its 11th foundation day". Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "NIT Patna to get Deemed University Status very soon". Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "एनआइटी पैकेज 2 : एनआइटी को कल बिहटा कैंपस के लिए मिलेगी जमीन".
- "New land at Bihta for NIT- DM announces plot for tech institute campus".
- Kumar, Roshan (3 January 2012). "NIT frowns & accepts 100 acres". telegraphindia.com. Calcutta, India. Retrieved 6 January 2012.
- "Fun-filled days for tech collegians in the offing". Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2016". Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2016.
- "HRD Ministry announces universities ranking, IIT Madras and IIM Bangalore top the list".
- "Best engineering colleges in India". digit.in.
- "Case Studies, Leaders, Policy, Administration, Industry Focus, Campus, Technology". www.edu-leaders.com.