Indian Institute of Technology Patna
विद्यार्थी लभते विद्याम् (Sanskrit)
Motto in English
|One who aspires wisdom, attains it|
|Type||Public engineering school|
|Campus||501 acres (2.0 km2)|
The Indian Institute of Technology Patna (abbreviated IIT Patna or IITP) is an autonomous institute of education and research in science, engineering and technology located in Patna, India. It is recognized as an Institute of National Importance by the Government of India. It is one of the new IITs established by an Act of the Indian Parliament on August 6, 2008.
- 1 Campus and location
- 2 Academics
- 3 Rankings
- 4 Incubation Centre IIT Patna
- 5 Research
- 6 Collaboration with foreign universities
- 7 Convocation
- 8 Student life and culture
- 9 Placements at IIT Patna
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
Campus and location
IIT Patna's campus is located at Amhara, Bihta, 35 km from Patna at a 501 acres (203 ha) site. The foundation stone of the IIT Patna, Bihta Campus was laid by Kapil Sibal in 2011. IIT Patna started its new session (from July 2015) in its permanent campus located at Bihta. The campus at Bihta was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 25 July 2015. Earlier, the institute was operating from a temporary 10 acres (4.0 ha) complex in Pataliputra colony, Patna, in buildings which have been renovated and were previously used by the Naveen Government Polytechnic.
This is the main building of the campus that can be viewed directly from the campus main gate. It houses all the administrative offices, the Central Library, the Directorate, offices of all the Deans and other officials.
Computer Science (Block 3)
The Department of Computer Science is evolving since the inception of IIT Patna in the year 2008 and owns some of the prestigious researchers of the country like Prof. Pushpak Bhattacharyya, Dr. Jimson Mathew, Dr. Arijit Mondal, and others. The major objective of the Department is to impart high quality education and research in India. Other Departments like Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering also reside within the aegis of the department. The major research areas of the department include Communications, Signal Processing, VLSI, Electric Drives, Power Systems and Power Electronics. The Department has online access to IEL, Science Direct, Springer and other online journals. Software like MATLAB and GAMS are available with the Department in order to accelerate the research. Instructional laboratories for Basic Electronics, Analog Electronics Digital Electronics, Digital Signal Processing, Embedded Systems, VLSI, Electrical Machines, Power Electronics and Power Systems are fully operational.
Tutorial Block (Block 9)
All the academic lectures take place in the Tutorial Block. The five-storey building also temporarily houses the laboratories in Computer Science, Physics and Chemistry for the undergraduate students. It also has the Computer Centre of the institute with total 18 GBPS internet connections and adequate server infrastructure. Laboratories in Basic Electronics, Analog Electronics, Digital Electronics, VLSI, Control, Instrumentation and Communication are also located in this building.
Chemical and Biochemical Engineering Block
The Department of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering is a newly established department, that was instituted in 2015 with the efforts of Dr. Sujoy Kumar Samanta, faculty of IIT Patna. It is located in the Block-6 of the campus. The department accepted the first batch of undergraduate students in 2016 and presently has 9 faculty members. The Block-6 houses state-of-the-art research facilities for its young and dynamic faculty members in various research fields ranging from Clean fuel production, CO2 capture and storage, Pinch analysis, Microwave-assisted heating, Process modelling and simulation to Bio-resource engineering and Wastewater treatment. The department has also set up various laboratories for its undergraduate students including Heat transfer laboratory, Mechanical Operations laboratory, Chemical Reaction Engineering laboratory, Process simulation laboratory among many others.
The science block has classrooms, faculty rooms and laboratories for Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. These include the material science research and optics research facilities of the Physics Department, the chemistry instruments and chemistry research facilities of the Chemistry Department and the computational research facility of the Mathematics Department.
Humanities and Social Sciences Block
The Department of Humanities and Social Sciences is located in Block 6.
The department has also set up a Centre for Endangered Language Studies to work for the minor/ tribal/endangered languages of the state of Bihar and adjoining areas. In addition, the centre aims to collaborate with the institutes and universities of the neighbouring states to work for minor/ tribal/endangered languages along the state borders.
Mechanical Engineering Block
The Mechanical Engineering Workshop building houses all the Mechanical Engineering Laboratories, viz. Basic and Conventional Manufacturing Lab, Advanced Manufacturing Lab, CAD/CAM Lab, Dynamics Lab, Fluid Mechanics Lab, Heat and Mass Transfer Lab,Instruments and Control Lab, IC Engines Lab, Material Testing Lab, Metrology and Metallographic Lab, Robotics Lab and Polymer Engineering Lab.
IIT Patna awards Bachelor of Technology degrees in the following disciplines:
- Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Chemical Engineering
Admission to these programs for 225 seats is through the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE)-Advanced, taken by students seeking admission into the IITs after completing 10+2 years of schooling. The Curriculum consists of eight semesters spread over four academic years. A student takes five to six theory courses in addition to laboratory courses in each semester. A student's performance is evaluated based on a credit system. Credits are allotted to each course depending on the number of lecture/tutorial/laboratory hours per week.
IIT Patna postgraduate programs include:
The M.tech program, started in 2012, awards degrees in following disciplines:
- Master of Technology in Mathematics and Computing
- Master of Technology in Nanotechnology
- Master of Technology in Mechatronics
- Master of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering
- Master of technology in Communication Systems Engineering
- Master of technology in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- Master of Technology in Civil and Infrastructure Engineering
- Master of Technology in VLSI and Embedded Systems
- Master of Technology in Mechanical engineering
IIT Patna is the first IIT in the whole IIT system to start a M.tech program in Nanotechnology. Admission to M.tech is through GATE after which an interview is held to screen the shortlisted candidates. Sponsored Candidates are not required to appear in GATE and are directly called for interview on applying for admission to M.Tech Program (if selected).
Started in 2009, Phd degrees are awarded by all the departments. Requirements for admission into the Ph.D. programs include a master's degree and prior academic achievement. Students undergo an interview before gaining admission.
Schools And Centres
The Institute has the following Schools, which conduct research as well as provide education.
School Of Engineering And Technology
- Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
School Of Humanities And Social Sciences
School Of Basic Sciences
|University and college rankings|
|General – international|
|QS (BRICS) (2019)||141|
|General – India|
|NIRF (Overall) (2019)||58|
|Engineering – India|
Incubation Centre IIT Patna
The Incubation Centre is supported by the Government of Bihar and the Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY), Ministry of Communications and IT, Government of India.
The Incubation Centre accepts applications for incubation multiple times a year. The applicants submit a 10-page business plan which is evaluated by the Project Evaluation Team, composed of eminent personalities from Industry, academia, government and investment community. Shortlisted applicants are called for a presentation before an expert panel. Based on the recommendation from the panel, the applicant are then offered admission to the incubation programme. The selected start-ups are fully supported and provided with all facilities including fully furnished office spaces, communication facilities, state of the art ESDM laboratory facilities, guidance by mentors from Angel Investors, Industry, IITP faculty, Investor Connect, Training and Development programmes, and other assistance required.
The groundbreaking ceremony for the permanent building facility of the Incubation Centre at the IIT Patna's Bihta campus was held on 24 November 2018. The Chief Guest for the ceremony was the Deputy Chief Minister of Bihar, Shri Sushil Kumar Modi.
The institute has set up many laboratories to conduct research in various disciplines of engineering, pure and applied sciences and humanities on campus. Research is carried out by faculty members and research scholars under the guidance of faculty members. Research work is also done at the undergraduate level usually in the fourth year of engineering The Sponsored Research and Industrial Relations Unit (SRIRU) was established in the year 2009 to promote interactive engagement between faculty and sponsoring agencies. The institute has received grants from various sponsoring agencies like Department of Information Technology - Govt. Of India, Department of Biotechnology - Govt. Of India, Defence Research and Development Organisation, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board, Department Of Science And Technology - Govt. Of India, CSIR, Department of Rural Development - Govt. Of India, UNICEF.
Collaboration with foreign universities
The International Relations Cell at IIT Patna is responsible for the entire institute's international activity. The IR Affairs office is committed to increasing international collaboration through exchange visits, and opening up international conversations by encouraging universities stakeholders to set up joint programs, joint research and projects, faculty exchange and internships for international students.
IIT Patna has collaborated with many foreign universities like National University of Singapore (NUS), University of Houston, Texas (USA), Louisiana State University (USA), University of Hartford, Connecticut (USA), University of Missouri, Columbia (USA), University of New South Wales (Australia), University of North Texas, Denton (USA) and University of Saskatchewan (Canada).
The MoU is intended to give opportunities to B. Tech, M.Tech and Ph.D. students and faculty from IIT Patna to go to United States, Australia, Singapore and Canada and develop their research skills and interact with people working in different areas of science and technology.
- The convocation for the first batch of IIT Patna was held on 23 December 2012 when Dr APJ Abdul Kalam awarded the degrees.
- The second convocation was held on 26 October 2013 when President Pranab Mukherjee awarded the degrees.
- For the first time, the third convocation of IIT Patna was held at the permanent campus in Bihta on 6 August 2015. 325-odd BTech, MTech and PhD students received degrees. Boeing India president Pratyush Kumar was the chief guest on the occasion.
- The most recent convocation ceremony took place on September 13, 2018 at the Gyan Bhawan, Samrat Ashok International Convention Center, Gandhi Maidan, Patna. Padma Shri awardee and scientist Shri Manas Bihari Verma was the chief guest for the occasion. IIT-Kanpur’s deputy director Minanidra Agarwal and IIT-P's Board of Governors Chairman Ajai Chowdhry were the guests of honour at the event. The institute also organized an alumni meet for its former students at its Bihta campus on the next day.
Student life and culture
The male students of IIT Patna are accommodated in 2 hostels which are located inside the campus. For accommodation of female students a separate hostel is available.
The college has a hospital inside the campus.
Sports facilities like cricket, football grounds are there. Basketball, Volleyball, Tennis and Badminton courts are also available near the hostel and various clubs are formed by students for managing and improving the level of sports in the campus. And facilities for indoor games like Table tennis, Carrom etc. are also available. The college itself has an inter-college sports tournament INFINITO. Also the students participate in Inter IIT Sports Meet each year.
Banks And Post Office
The branches of State Bank of India and Canara Bank are present inside the campus for providing banking facilities inside the campus. An India Post branch is also present in the campus for providing mailing facilities inside the campus. Amazon, Flipkart and other services visit the campus daily for other delivery needs.
Various canteens and food outlets are available in and around the campus. The campus also has an authorized Amul Parlor outlet. There are various restaurants in Bihta which are usually visited by the campus community. The campus also has night canteens open up to 4 AM into the night.
The Central Library of IIT Patna is one of the libraries in terms of its collection and services. Central Library caters to the information need of its highly demanding faculty members, students, research scholars as well as the staff of the Institute, by offering a wide range of Information Technology (IT) based (and value-added) services and products.
The Student Activity Center operates with the following societies:
- IEEE Student Branch IIT-Patna
- Science and Technology Council
- House Of Socio-Cultural Affairs
- House Of Literature And Fine Arts
- Sports clubs (of respective sports activities)
- Bhaktivedanta Club
- Entrepreneurship Club
- Rural Technology Development Club (RTDC)
- National Service Scheme (NSS), IIT Patna
- National Sports Organisation (India), IIT Patna
Anwesha, the annual techno-cultural fest of Indian Institute of Technology, Patna is held in the month of January–February every year.
Student Activity Center
The Student Activity Center is the nucleus of all student curricular and extracurricular activities. Faculties have been appointed to supervise the work and events conducted by each society.
Workshops and Seminars
Placements at IIT Patna
Training and Placement Cell actively engages in developing relationship with various industrial organizations and employers. The cell organises summer internships for pre-final year students and placement activities for final years students. The average job offer CTCs for 2018 was ₹11.47 lakh (US$16,000) per annum. The recent placement statistics for IIT Patna can be seen here.
- "IIT-Patna: An island of excellence this". Archived from the original on 28 July 2015.
- "Indian Institute of Technology-Patna students design customized tricycle - The Times of India". The Times Of India. Archived from the original on 25 January 2016.
- "AICTE". Aicte-india.org. Archived from the original on 25 September 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "Acts and Statutes". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "IIT Patna has moved in its newly constructed permanent campus at Bihta Patna". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "Campus propels IIT quality focus". Archived from the original on 25 July 2015.
- "Students euphoric about new campus- IIT-Patna comes up with world-class facilities". Archived from the original on 14 August 2015.
- "Green ride with healthy heart". telegraphindia.com. 19 November 2015. Archived from the original on 17 August 2015.
- "Kapil Sibal lays foundation of IIT-Patna campus - The Times of India". The Times Of India. Archived from the original on 20 February 2017.
- "Modi inaugurates IIT-Patna campus". Archived from the original on 25 January 2016.
- "Modi sets IIT campus date". Archived from the original on 16 July 2015.
- "PM to inaugurate Bihta IIT-P campus on July 25". Archived from the original on 25 January 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 17 July 2015. Retrieved 16 July 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 17 July 2015. Retrieved 16 July 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Deans & Coordinators :: Administration :: The Institute :: IIT Patna". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "Directorate :: Administrators :: The Institute :: IIT Patna". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "Welcome to Central Library IIT Patna". library.iitp.ac.in.
- "Computer Center :: IIT Patna". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "Chemical and Biochemical Engineering :: IIT Patna". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "Faculty". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "UG Students". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "Facilities". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "Humanities and Social Sciences :: IIT Patna". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "Centre for Endangered Language Studies". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "Objectives". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "More seats in new IITs 387 additional BTech berths on offer this year". Archived from the original on 31 July 2017.
-  Archived 1 June 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- Kumar, Roshan (25 July 2012). "Cradle arms techies with new-age ammo". The Telegraph. Calcutta, India. Archived from the original on 13 August 2014.
- "Academic Affairs". www.iitp.ac.in.
- url=http://www.telegraphindia.com/1120724/jsp/bihar/story_15762971.jsp#.UIndTcXMjId Archived 28 July 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "IIT Patna 2012 PhD". Way2college.com. Archived from the original on 29 August 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "IIT Patna Indian Institute of Technology Patna Courses Offered & Contact Details, www.winentrance.com Indian Institute of Technology IIT Patna". Winentrance.com. Archived from the original on 2 October 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "Civil Engineering :: IIT Patna". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "Computer Science & Engineering. :: IIT Patna". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "Electrical Engineering :: IIT Patna". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "Mechanical Engineering :: IIT Patna". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "Metallurgical and Materials Engineering". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "Physics :: Basic Sciences :: IIT Patna". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "Mathematics :: Basic Sciences :: IIT Patna". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "QS BRICS University Rankings 2019". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2019 (Overall)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2019.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2019 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "Incubation Center :: IITP - Partners". www.iciitp.com.
- "Incubation Center :: IITP - Processes". www.iciitp.com.
- "Incubation Center :: IITP - Apply". www.iciitp.com.
- "IIT Patna". www.facebook.com.
- "IIT-Patna: Sushil Modi, minister to lay stone of incubation centre today - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Best B.Tech Projects -2012". Iitp.ac.in. Archived from the original on 2 October 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "R&D Home :: Research :: IIT Patna". Iitp.ac.in. Archived from the original on 2 October 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "Research Projects and Resources :: Research :: IIT Patna". Iitp.ac.in. Archived from the original on 2 October 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "International Relations – Indian Institute of Technology Patna".
- Correspondent, Our (17 November 2012). "IIT pact with US varsity - Yahoo News India". In.news.yahoo.com. Archived from the original on 14 August 2014. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "IITP MOUs :: IIT Patna". Iitp.ac.in. Archived from the original on 2 October 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- B K Mishra, TNN 24 Dec 2012, 01.36AM IST (24 December 2012). "Produce entrepreneurs, not job-seekers: Kalam - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 27 September 2013.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Degree in hand, hats go flying". Calcutta, India: Telegraphindia.com. 24 December 2012. Archived from the original on 2 October 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "President awards medals to IIT-Patna toppers - The Times of India". The Times Of India. Archived from the original on 28 October 2013.
- Roshan Kumar (5 August 2013). "Pranab chief guest at convocation". Calcutta, India: Telegraphindia.com. Archived from the original on 2 October 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "President to award degrees at IIT-Patna today - The Times of India". The Times Of India. Archived from the original on 25 January 2016.
- "325 IIT-Patna students get degrees at 3rd convocation". Archived from the original on 25 January 2016.
- "IIT-Patna to award gold medals to 3 students today - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "3 IIT-Patna students bag gold medals - Times of India". The Times of India.
- Pixxel IITP. "IIT Patna - Convocation 2018" – via YouTube.
- stream vmukti. "IIT Patna - 6th Convocation 2018" – via YouTube.
- "Hostel". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "Medical Unit :: Services and Amenities :: IIT Patna". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "IIT Patna Sports". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "About Library". library.iitp.ac.in.
- "NJACK". GitHub.
- "Sparkonics". www.facebook.com.
- "IITP Motorsports". iitpmotorsports.in.
- "ACE IIT Patna". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "House Of Socio-Cultural Affairs". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "PIXXeL IITP". www.facebook.com.
- "Music Club, IIT Patna". www.facebook.com.
- "Yavanika - The Dramatics Society of IIT Patna". www.facebook.com.
- "E-Club - IIT Patna". www.iitp.ac.in.
- "IITP students may go for research with DRDO soon - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Placement Data from Training and Placement Cell , IIT Patna (Year 2015-16)" (PDF). Indian Institute of Technology Patna. Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 May 2017. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to IIT Patna.|