Roland Martin (journalist)
|Born||Roland Sebastian Martin
November 14, 1968
Clutch City, Texas, U.S.
|Notable credit(s)||Chicago Defender, CNN|
|Spouse(s)||Jacquie Hood Martin|
Roland Sebastian Martin (born November 14, 1968) is an American journalist and syndicated columnist with Creators Syndicate and author. He is a commentator for TV One and the host of News One Now, a one-hour weekday morning news show on the network.
He was also a CNN contributor, appearing on a variety of shows, including The Situation Room, Anderson Cooper's AC360, and many others. In October 2008, he joined the Tom Joyner Morning Show as senior analyst.
Books authored by Martin include Speak, Brother! A Black Man's View of America, Listening to the Spirit Within: 50 Perspectives on Faith and The First: President Barack Obama's Road to the White House as originally reported by Roland S. Martin.
Life and career
Martin was born in Houston, Texas. His maternal great grandparents had migrated from Haiti to Louisiana, where his family is from. He graduated with a B.S. in journalism from Texas A&M University and a master's degree in Christian communications from Louisiana Baptist University.
During the 1990s, Martin was a contributor on the BET Sunday morning news program Lead Story. He is the former executive editor of the Chicago Defender. Martin hosts a morning radio talk show on WVON in Chicago, and was with CNN as a contributor from 2007-2013. He guest-hosted Campbell Brown: No Bias, No Bull while Brown was on maternity leave in April and May 2009.
On February 5, 2012, Roland Martin's Twitter account responded to an underwear advertisement featuring the association football player David Beckham, stating "If a dude at your Super Bowl party is hyped about David Beckham's H&M underwear ad, smack the ish out of him!" GLAAD (the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) responded on its website: “Martin’s tweets today advocating violence against gay people weren’t an accident — they are a part of a larger pattern for Martin. Anti-gay violence in America is a serious problem". In response to the Tweets, it was reported that Roland Martin had been suspended by CNN for the controversial remarks. His suspension was lifted on March 14, 2012.
- "What would Jesus really do?"
- "The new reality for Bush and the Democrats"
- "Obama Birth Issue is Nutty"
- "Roland Martin is on Watch"
- Date of birth found on the Texas Births, 1926-1995, under MARTIN, ROLAND SEBASTIAN, on November 14, 1968.
- Bibel, Sara (July 9, 2013). "Roland S. Martin to Host 'News One Now', TV One's First Daily News Program". TV by the Numbers.
- Martin, Roland S (2002). Speak, Brother!: A Black Man's View of America (First edition ed.). Dallas: Martin Media Group. ISBN 0-9719107-0-7.
- "CNN's Martin to be honored".
- Roland Martin (2009). Roland Martin of CNN is Proud of His Haitian Heritage. USA: Smith Georges. Retrieved 20 January 2009.
- Vanderberg, Marcus (June 6, 2012). "SO WHAT DO YOU DO, ROLAND MARTIN, CNN CONTRIBUTOR AND HOST OF TV ONE'S WASHINGTON WATCH?". Mediabistro. Retrieved October 18, 2014.
- "Roland. S Martin joins CNN as contributor" (Press release). Inside Cable. March 2007. Retrieved May 21, 2008.
- "Steele, Black Republicans Not Uncle Toms or Sellouts". Retrieved November 30, 2009.
- Washington, Laura (March 24, 2013). "Roland Martin isn’t leaving CNN quietly". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- Zakarin, Jordan (March 19, 2013). "Roland Martin Leaves CNN". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- Coscarelli, Joe (May 4, 2010). "CNN Suspends Roland Martin for Super Bowl Tweets - Daily Intelligencer". Nymag.com. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- Wemple, Erik (March 13, 2012). "Roland Martin's suspension from CNN is over". The Washington Post.
- Roland Martin CNN Contributor (April 24, 2007). "Martin: What would Jesus really do?". CNN.com. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- mbarnesdesign, ToSon BT (November 17, 2006). "Black America Today / ROLAND S. MARTIN: The new reality for Bush and the Democrats". Blackamericatoday.com. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- Roland S. Martin CNN Contributor (July 22, 2009). "Commentary: Obama birth issue is nutty". CNN.com. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
|Host of News One Now
November 4, 2013-present
- Roland S. Martin official website
- Roland Martin Features on Ascots at Creators Syndicate
- Podcasts of Martin's recent articles
- TV ONE website for Washington Watch with Roland Martin
- CNN suspends Roland Martin for Super Bowl tweets