|Part of the Drug series on|
These strains of cannabis are believed to have originated in the United States prior to development by Dutch growers. Just as with other strains of cannabis, skunk is commonly grown in controlled indoor environments under specialized grow lights, or in a greenhouse when full outdoor conditions aren't suitable.
Skunk strains are hybrids of Cannabis sativa and Cannabis indica. The combination of these two species produces unique effects. Additionally, skunk strains are considered to be more potent as they contain more THC than average cannabis strains.
Skunk strains, along with other strains, are used for recreational use but are also popular among the medical community as a form of pain medication and management due to THC's analgesic effects on the body. Cannabis may have physiological and psychological side effects/medical benefits depending on which strain is being ingested. These may include: decreased blood pressure, rapid heart rate, bloodshot eyes, dry mouth, increased appetite, slowed reaction time, paranoia with uneven THC/CBD ratios, short-term memory loss, anxiety with uneven THC/CBD ratios or reduction in anxiety when the correct amount of CBD is present. Although these characteristics are present in other strains, due to its higher ratio of THC to CBD, negative side effects may be more prevalent in skunk strains as the percentage of CBD is lower.
While these negative side effects are a reality for some users, it is also used to aid individuals with certain medical conditions. Therefore, the debate as to whether or not marijuana should be legalised is an ongoing debate found in politics and media in all parts of the world. Currently,[when?] cannabis is legal through prescription in The Netherlands, Belgium, Canada, Colombia, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Ecuador, France, India, Iran, North Korea, Pakistan, Switzerland, Spain, Uruguay and 20 various states in the U.S.
- Lemon Haze
- Silver Haze
- Amnesia Haze
- Digby Generic
- Early Pearl/Skunk #1 x Northern Lights #5/Haze - 2nd High Times Cannabis Cup (1989)
- Ham & Cheese and Ramen
- Haze x Skunk #1 - 5th High Times Cannabis Cup (1992)
- Island Sweet Skunk
- Orange bud
- Skunk #0 / Prime Skunk / Ur-skunk / Original Skunk / The Eden Strain
- Skunk #1 - 1st High Times Cannabis Cup (1988)
- Northern Lights #7
- Skunk - 4th High Times Cannabis Cup (1991)
- Skunk #9
- Skunk #11
- Sly Moon Skunk
- Sensi Skunk
- Brotman, Barbara (April 2, 2012). "Skunk smell spreading like weed through city". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- "Skunk". http://drugscope.org.uk/skunk/.
- "Blood Pressure Regulation By Endocannabinoids And Their Receptors". http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2225528/.
- "Marijuana - Marijuana Use and Effects of Marijuana". webmd.com.
- Identification of candidate genes affecting D9-tetrahydrocannabinol biosynthesis in Cannabis sativa
- "PatentStorm's time has ended.". patentstorm.us.
- B. Smith. "Jack Herer Seeds - Cannnabis Cup winning strain". Weed-seeds.net. Retrieved 2012-01-31.