|Developer(s)||Xamarin (a Microsoft subsidiary) and the Mono community|
|Stable release||22.214.171.124 / January 28, 2016|
|Operating system||Windows, OS X, openSUSE, SUSE Linux Enterprise, Fedora, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu|
|Type||Integrated development environment|
|License||LGPLv2, MIT X11|
MonoDevelop is an open source integrated development environment for Linux, OS X, and Windows. Its primary focus is development of projects that use Mono and .NET frameworks. MonoDevelop integrates features similar to those of NetBeans and Microsoft Visual Studio, such as automatic code completion, source control, a graphical user interface (GUI) and Web designer. MonoDevelop integrates a Gtk# GUI designer called Stetic. It supports Boo, C, C++, C#, CIL, D, F#, Java, Oxygene, Vala, and Visual Basic.NET.
In late 2003, a few developers from the Mono community began migrating SharpDevelop, a successful .NET open source IDE from System.Windows.Forms on Windows to Gtk# on Linux. Being an early fork of SharpDevelop, MonoDevelop architecturally differs from recent SharpDevelop releases.
Over time, the MonoDevelop project was absorbed into the rest of the Mono project and is actively maintained by Xamarin and the Mono community. Since Mono 1.0 Beta 2, MonoDevelop is bundled with Mono releases.
Xamarin released an updated version of MonoDevelop called Xamarin Studio.
MonoDevelop can be used on Windows, OS X and Linux. The first two have been officially supported since version 2.2. Xamarin offers a rebranded version of MonoDevelop 4.0 as Xamarin Studio which now uses platform-specific code in various places to enhance the look and feel. While Mono provides a package for Solaris 10 running on SPARC, MonoDevelop packages for OpenSolaris are only provided by groups from the OpenSolaris community. MonoDevelop on FreeBSD is likewise supported only by the FreeBSD community.
Unity game engine
Stetic is the GTK# GUI designer used in MonoDevelop to develop GTK+ user interfaces in C#. It has been included since version 0.1 of MonoDevelop. Stetic is very similar to Glade Interface Designer but is integrated into MonoDevelop with features such as drag and drop. It has been criticized for being more difficult to work with than the likes of Qt Designer and the Microsoft Visual Studio Windows Forms Editor when the programmer does not yet have a concrete layout in mind.
- Mono (software)
- Comparison of integrated development environments
- Glade Interface Designer
- Qt Creator
- "MonoDevelop Download". monodevelop.com. Retrieved 2016-01-28.
- "Blog post on Xamarin Releases". Xamarin. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- "Languages". MonoDevelop. Ohloh. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- "Monodevelop FAQ". Monodevelop.com. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- "MonoDevelop on Mac OS X - Miguel de Icaza". Tirania.org. 2009-05-05. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- "MonoDevelop 2.2 Beta 1: We go cross platform. - Miguel de Icaza". Tirania.org. 2009-09-09. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- "Stetic Gui Designer". Monodevelop.com. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- "Feature List". MonoDevelop. 2008-02-05. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- Embarcadero Technologies. "Delphi Prism | Cross Platform .NET and Mono IDE". Embarcadero.com. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- "How to Install Mono-D". dlang.org. Retrieved 2014-08-25.
- Vasiliev, Sergey (30 December 2015). "Looking for Bugs in MonoDevelop.". Medium.
- Cogswell, Jeff (4 June 2009). "MonoDevelop 2.0 Rivals Microsoft Visual Studio.". eWeek.
- Paul, Ryan (31 March 2009). "MonoDevelop 2.0 and Mono 2.4 officially released. The Mono project has announced the official release of Mono 2.4 and …". Ars Technica.
- Ellis, Dean (15 May 2013). "From XNA to MonoGame. A reprint from the May 2013 issue of Gamaustra's sister publication Game Developer magazine, this article explains how you can transition your XNA projects to MonoGame.". Gamasutra.
- "What's new in MonoDevelop 2.2". Monodevelop.com. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- De Icaza, Miguel (2013-02-22). "The Making of Xamarin Studio". blog.xamarin.com. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- "Mono Downloads". Go-mono.com. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- "OpenSolaris Forums - Mono .NET available on GNU/OpenSolaris!". Opensolaris.org. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- "Mono:FreeBSD - The BSD# Project". Mono-project.com. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- "MonoDevelop". Unity documentation. Unity Technologies. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- MonoDevelop Project: Feature List.
- Taft, Darryl K. (14 March 2008). "Novell Ships Mono Development Tool.". eWeek.
- MonoDeveloper Project: Release notes for MonoDevelop 0.10.
- "First info about Mono's Stetic, the new RAD tool", OSNews, 16 March 2005.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to MonoDevelop.|