The Great American Wiknic is an annual wiki-picnic held in cities across the United States on or around a common day every summer. The 2013 Wiknic will be on Saturday, June 22 and nearby dates, with a local raindate generally the following day.
The Wiknic is the picnic anyone can edit, with people bringing their own picnic food and perhaps other items to share. Suggestions are offered by the page for New York City's first Wiknic and the announcements for the various 2011 and 2012 events (below).
- Easy to organize, even for old Wikipedians
- Welcoming to everyone, even for new Wikipedians and Wikipedian-wannabes
In short, a Wiknic can be a great easy-in to real life Wikipedia culture, and lead to greater wiki-community and outreach in your corner of the country!
Wiki-picnic meetups by region
The 2013 Great American Wiknic will be held on Sat, June 22 (and nearby dates), with a local rain date generally the following day.
With grassroots organizing help from local Wikipedia:Meetup groups and the Wikimedians Active in Local Regions of the United States (WALRUS) committee...
Everyone is encouraged to start a Wiknic page for your own city, and please sign up at your city's meetup page (in bold):
- Maine Wiknic - Augusta, Maine (June 22)
- Boston Wiknic - Boston, Massachusetts (June 22)
- NYC Wiknic - Brooklyn, New York (June 22)
- Philadephia Wiknic - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (June 22)
- Pittsburgh Wiknic - Pittsburgh Pennsylvania (June 22)
- Washington College Wiknic - Chestertown, Maryland (June 22)
- Frederick Wiknic - Frederick, Maryland (June 22)
- DC Wiknic - Washington, DC (June 23)
- Possible event: Richmond, Virginia - Maymont Park (June 23)
- Southern Indiana Wiknic - Bloomington, Indiana (June 15)
- Minnesota Wiknic - Minnehaha Park, Minneapolis, Minnesota (June 22)
- Chicago Wiknic - Chicago, Illinois (June 22)
- St. Louis, Missouri - June 22, 10:30am - Turtle Playground in Forest Park + stroll through the Saint Louis Zoo.
- Metro Detroit Wiknic - Detroit, Michigan (June 22) Any wiki variety invited, we can wiki with the wikipedians :-)
- Cincinnati, Ohio - June 22, 11:30am - Phyllis W. Smale Riverfront Park.
- Possible event: Downtown Muskegon, Michigan : June 22 - Heritage Landing - Near playground
- Possible event: Marquette,Michigan, : June 22 - Harlow Park - Wikipedia:Meetup/Marquette/Wiknic
- Possible event: Lansing, Michigan : June 22 - Patriarch Park - Wikipedia:Meetup/Lansing/Wiknic
- Possible event: Wichita, Kansas : June 22 - Riverside Park- Wikipedia:Meetup/Wichita/Wiknic
West and South West
- University of New Mexico, Albuquerque : June 22 - Duck Pond - Wikipedia:Meetup/Wiknic
- Colorado Wiknic - Arvada, Colorado (June 22)
- LA Wiknic - Los Angeles, California (June 22)
- Portland Wiknic - Portland, Oregon (June 22)
- Seattle Wiknic - Seattle, Washington (June 22)
- Bay Area Wiknic Oakland, California (June 23)
- San Diego County Wiknic Poway Park, California (June22)
- Morada/Stockton/Sacramento, California Wiknic: June 22 - 9733 Ruff Avenue 95212 (Front Yard Only)
- Possible event: Tucson, Arizona: TBD
- Possible event: Central Florida Wiknic - Clear Lake Park(2301 29th St, Orlando, FL 32805) (June 22)
- Atlanta Wiknic - Atlanta, Georgia (June 22)
- North Florida Wiknic - Gainesville, Florida (June 22)
- South Florida Wiknic - Pompano Beach, Florida (June 22)
- Possible event: Tuscaloosa Wiknic - Tuscaloosa, Alabama (June 22)
- Possible event: Knoxville Wiknic - Knoxville, Tennessee (June 22) (Mellow Mushroom)
- Austin Wiknic - Austin, Texas (June 23) (Zilker Park/Barton Springs Pool)
- Possible event: Houston Wiknic: TBD
- Possible event San Antonio : June 22 - San Pedro Park
Start an event for your city
To jumpstart a Wiknic in your city or town, feel free to copy-and-paste the example text below (adjust placenames accordingly!) - ideally include the town, event date, park name, and the local wiki-meetup page -
Ask any questions at Wikipedia talk:Wiknic. It is an amazing event for anyone!
History and development
The first national Wiknic was held in June 2011, and 16 cities took part with Wiknics large and small. June 2012 was a success as well, and now third time's a charm with Wiknic 3.0 June 2013. The Wiknic concept was modeled on the Wikipedia 10 celebrations and on the past success of Wiknics in New York City, and has inspired other large-scale coordinated events like Wikipedia Loves Libraries and Wiki Loves Monuments in the United States.
- Press coverage of 2011 events:
- The Washington Post, on the morning of the event (Saturday, June 25, 2011), published an article on the Washington, D.C. Wiknic, titled "A Wiki-Picnic for online encyclopedia editors".
- LA Weekly (June 27, 2011): Wikipedia Live! The Great American Wiknic Comes to L.A.
Media related to Wiknic at Wikimedia Commons