XLRI - Xavier School of Management
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||This college or university article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia guidelines for college and university articles. (April 2017)|
|Motto||For The Greater Good|
|Type||Private business school|
|Chairman||T. V. Narendran|
|Dean||Dr. Ashis Kumar Pani|
|Director||Fr. E. Abraham, SJ|
|81 + 27 visiting|
|Location||Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India|
|Campus||Urban, 40 acres|
|Affiliations||Jesuit, (Roman Catholic)|
- 1 History
- 2 Administration
- 3 Academic programs
- 4 Rankings
- 5 Outbound programme
- 6 Village program
- 7 Student activities
- 8 Notable alumni
- 9 References
- 10 External links
XLRI began by offering courses for management and trade unions in 1949 before setting up a two-year, full-time program in industrial welfare in 1953. In 1955 it took on the name Xavier Labor Relations Institute, and became India's oldest business management school. The Jesuit-managed school offers numerous programs: a full-time, 2-year, post-graduate program in Business Management, Personnel Management, & Industrial Relations (renamed Human Resources Management in 2011); Global Business Management; a 15-month, full-time, General Management program (PGDM-GM); a doctoral fellow program (FPM); and several executive education programs including a three-years, part-time programme in Business Management for Working Executives and Business Owners.
The Director is Fr. E. Abraham, the Dean of Academics is Dr. Ashis Kumar Pani, and Fr. S. George, S.J., is the Dean of Administration. The Associate Dean of programs is Dr. Santanu Sarkar, Associate Dean of Student Affairs is Fr Antony Uvari and Associate Dean of Corporate Programs is Dr. M.G. Jomon. The Chairman of the Board of Governors is Mr. T.V. Narendran. The Board includes Rajive Kaul (Chairman of NICCO Corporation Ltd.), Sumit Mazumder (President of Confederation of Indian Industry and Chairman & Managing Director of TIL Ltd.), and Rekha M Menon (Managing Director-HR, Accenture), Subodh Bhargava (Chairman of Tata Communications Ltd.), and others.
- Full-time residential MBA
- General Management Programme (PGDM-GM) – 15 months
- Business Management (BM) – 2 years
- Human Resource Management (HRM) – 2 years
- Global Business Management (Global BM) – 2 years
- Research program
- Fellow Programme in Management (FPM) – 4 years
- Masters program
- Masters Program in Positive Organization Development & Change (MPOD), offered jointly by XLRI Jamshedpur and Case Western Reserve University's Weatherhead School of Management (Cleveland, USA) - 15 months 
- Executive programs
- Executive Fellow Programme in Management (Exec-FPM)
- Executive Post Graduate Programmes (Exec-PGP) in India, Dubai, and Singapore – 3 years
- Post Graduate Programme for Certificate in Entrepreneurship Management (PGP-CEM)
- Post Graduate Certification in Agri-Business Management (PGCABM) – 6 months (Ikisan Ltd. and XLRI Joint Management Program)
- Post Graduate Certification in Business Management (PGCBM) – 12 months
- Post Graduate Certification in Logistics and Supply Chain Management (PGCLSCM) – 12 months
- Post Graduate Certification in Human Resource Management (PGCHRM) – 12 months
- Post Graduate Certification in Retail Management (PGCRM) – 12 months
- Post Graduate Certification in Sales & Marketing Management (PGCSMM) – 12 moths
- Executive Diploma Programme in Human Resource Management – 12 months
- Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management (PGDBM) in Singapore
- General Management Programme for Defence Personnel
- Management Development Programmes
- International Student Exchange Programme
Admission to these programs is through XLRI's entrance test XAT (Xavier Aptitude Test) and GMAT. After applying for XAT, candidates apply to other member colleges, which use XAT scores for their respective admissions. XLRI updates the admission procedure on its website every year. XLRI has 180 seats each in its Business Management & Human Resource Management (erstwhile PMIR) programs, 20 seats in its two-year Global Business Management, and 180 seats in the one-year General Management Program (popularly known as GMP). In 2015, 360 first-year students found Summer Internship Placements in 92 companies, in addition to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Sir Ratan Tata Trust, and EVidyaloka Trust.
As reported in Business Line in 2015, 83% of its entrants had previous work experience.
Human Resource Management
The Institute offers a two-year, full-time Programme in Human Resource Management (earlier known as "Personnel Management and Industrial Relations"), on the completion of which students are conferred with PGDHRM. The program is the oldest of the institute's teaching programs.
Business Management Programme
XLRI offers a two-year, full-time programme in Business Management, started in 1968, on the completion of which candidates are conferred with a Postgraduate Diploma in Business Management (PGDBM).
Global Business Management Programme
XLRI launched its Global BM Programme in partnership with Weatherhead School of Management of Case Western University, Cleveland, USA, and School of Economics and Management of Tongji University, Shanghai, China, on 12 January 2013. This full-time, two-year, residential, Global BM programme began in August 2013.
General Management Programme
Post-graduate Diploma in Management-General Management (PGDM-GM) is a 15-month, full-time residential program (previously known as GMP). The programme focuses on producing socially responsible business leaders and designed to fast track seasoned professionals. It offers a mix of core courses and a large variety of electives. Core courses include subjects from finance, economics, marketing, operations, strategy, business ethics and sustainable development. Completion of core courses opens the way to electives, chosen by the participants.
Fellow Programme in Management
Fellow Programme in Management (FPM) is a doctoral level (PhD) programme. The FPM is a full-time, residential, doctoral programme that trains prospective scholars to become researchers and teachers in various aspects of management. Fellow students are awarded a fellowship of Rs. 25,000 per month during the 1st and 2nd year and Rs. 30,000 per month for the next two years.
Entrepreneurship Management (PGP-CEM)
The Post Graduate Programme for Certificate in Entrepreneurship Management (PGP-CEM) is a six months, full-time, classroom contact program. Candidates must hold a minimum of a three-years bachelor's degree from a recognised university in India or abroad in any discipline.
XLRI began offering the Executive Programme in Dubai in collaboration with the Al Abbas Institute of Technology from October 2001. A new chapter was set up in Singapore in March 2006 in alliance with Image International.
XLRI Accenture HR Academy
|University and college rankings|
|Business – India|
The presence of Tata Steel Adventure Foundation near XLRI is a driving force for the adventure enthusiasts who leverage their unique infrastructure and expertise to satiate their desire for adventure. This 3-day outbound programme to TSAF camp at Tumung(Jharkhand) is organized for each entire batch, section-wise. Activities like rock climbing, cave exploration, and rafting are engaged in by the students.
Apart from allowing students to experience adventure first hand, this also help to hone their managerial and organizing skills.
Fr. Arrupe Centre for Ecology and Sustainability (FACES), a multi-disciplinary centre at XLRI, organizes the mandatory Students' Rural Immersion Program. In this FACES partners with 10 NGOs (Society For People's Awareness and Rural Development Action – SPARDA, Development Alternatives Group, SEEDS, TSRDS, Samiket Jan Vikas Kendra – SJVK, Tagore Society for Rural Developmenent-Patamda, Centre for World Solidarity, Kalamandir, and TRTC-Chaibasa) to organize week-end visits during the first term. The groups share their reports with the partnering NGOs, as input to their ongoing activities. In the village, students talk to villagers about their community, family, education, sources of income, ideas on opportunity as well as concern for future. Students thus receive first-hand experience of village life.
XLRI has around 21 committees on campus dealing with academics, sports, socio-cultural, and administrative activities. The Students Affairs Council (SAC)  is responsible for all student-related issues and activities. SAC is headed by a General Secretary and includes four elected representatives from the senior batch.
SAC is also the interface between the students and the administration. It is responsible for all student-related issues on campus and envisions future activities. SAC organizes XLRI's annual Inter B-School festivals, Ensemble and Valhalla. It has a voice on issues such as restructuring academic content, enhancement of infrastructure and facilities, and coordinating extra-curricular activities.
Multiple major events such as MAXI Fair - India's biggest Marketing research fair, Kshitij - One of the largest School fest, IdeaKon - An entrepreneurial event, Gnosis - Finance Symposium, Synergy - An operations and consulting event, Disha - A career fair, are conducted round the year.
Ensemble is the annual international management festival of XLRI School of Business and Human Resources, launched in 2001. It plays host to contemporary and futuristic competitions, aimed at exploring and challenging the business acumen and social sensitivity of tomorrow's leaders. The meeting is a conference of industry leaders, business school students, and thinkers from the Indian MBA community. Around 4,000 teams from various reputed business schools participate, including IIMs, FMS, TISS and IIFT.
The festival is organised by the students of XLRI. Themes of the conference have included "Progressive India: Winds for Change" in 2015, "Reinventing leadership, redefining strategies" in 2014, "Beyond Conventions" in 2012, "Bridging The Gap" in 2011, and "Towards A Better Tomorrow" in 2010.
The end of Ensemble is usually marked with cultural events including performances from big-name bands of the country. Ensemble 2011 featured Motherjane, an Indian rock band from Kochi, and the original Bodhi Tree band.
In 2016, Ensemble became the biggest management festival in the country with the highest prize money ever offered.
Valhalla is the national, three-day, inter-college sports and cultural festival. Participants engage in a variety of team and individual activities such as acting, dancing, rapid fire quizzes, football, and other sporting events. In tandem with XLRI’s spirit of "For the Greater Good", Valhalla has an undertone of social welfare to it. In the evenings, celebrity bands are hired to entertain the crowd with grand stage shows. The festival's fifty events draw about 3,000 students from more than ten management institutes including IIM Ranchi, IIM Kolkata, IIM Raipur, FMS Delhi, XIMB-XUB, and SIBM Pune. Valhalla 2015 featured a performance by Prince Dance Group, the ensemble dance troupe from Odisha, an event conducted by the Pro Kabaddi League players, and celebrity singer Shilpa Rao. It supported Milaap, a crowdfunding platform.
XLRI has a strong alumni base with an alumni association called XLRI Alumni Network. Some of the XLRI alumni have excelled in various fields like Technology, Finance and Entrepreneurship.
Notable XLRI alumni include:
- B Muthuraman, Vice-Chairman, Tata Steel
- Arun Maira, former partner at Boston Consulting Group
- Chandramouli Venkatesan, Managing Director, Mondelez India
- Ajay Kaul, CEO, Jubilant FoodWorks Ltd
- Krishnakumar Natarajan, Chairman of Mindtree
- Leena Nair, Global Senior Vice-President (Leadership & Organisation Development), Unilever plc
- Naveen Jain, Founder of inome and Moon Express
- K. Pandiarajan, Minister for School Education and Sports and Youth Welfare, Government of Tamil Nadu, MLA Virdhunagar, Tamil Nadu, Co-Founder Ma Foi Management Consultants 
- Ravi Virmani, Founder & Managing Director, Credihealth  and ex-CEO Max Hospitals
- Prasad Chintamaneni, senior vice-president and global head of banking and financial services Cognizant technology solutions
- Rakesh Kapoor, CEO of Reckitt Benckiser plc
- Ramesh Jayaraman, Managing Director Perfetti Van Melle India 
- Madhukar Kamath , Former MD & CEO DDB Mudra
- Akash Khurana, Actor 
- Dr. NS Rajan, Group chief human resources officer and member of the Group Executive Council, Tata Sons 
- Mohan V. Raman, Television and film actor, management trainer 
- Shashi Arora, Director & CEO Airtel Digital TV (DTH) at Bharti Airtel Ltd.
- Vineet Nayar, CEO, HCL Technologies
- Vijay Iyer, Chief Sales Officer HCL Talentcare
- SV Nathan, Director -Talent, Deloitte Consulting India Pvt. Ltd
- Sandeep Bakshi, Managing Director & CEO, ICICI Prudential Life Insurance
- R. Sridhar , Head-Corporate HR ITC Limited 
- Anand Nayak , Former Head of HR ITC Limited
- Bijou Kurien, Former President & CEO Reliance Retail 
- Hindu Business Line. Accessed 1 October 2016.
- "Harvard to XLRI: Four oldest B-schools in the world". timesofindia-economictimes.
- Leadership And Administration Retrieved 28 April 2015
- Board Of Governors Retrieved 28 April 2015
- "XLRI - School of Advanced Management - M.S. Programme (MPOD) - MS Programmes In India".
- Xlri Xat Test. Xlri.net.in.
- Mandatory disclosure by XLRI Retrieved 28 April 2015
- "Xavier Aptitude Test".
- "XLRI Summer Internship 2015".
- "XLRI - School of Human Resources | Postgraduate Diploma in Human Resource Management PGDM (HRM)". www.xlri.ac.in. Retrieved 2016-01-13.
- "XLRI - School of Business | Postgraduate Diploma in Business Management PGDM (Global BM)". www.xlri.ac.in. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "Entrepreneurship administration".
- Accenture-XLRI HR Academy. Careers3.accenture.com (4 January 2013).
- Accenture-XLRI HR Academy launch press release Archived 11 December 2009 at the Wayback Machine.. Accenture.com (4 January 2013).
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2017 (Management)". Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2017. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "XLRI - Current students - Student Societies". www.xlri.ac.in. Retrieved 2016-01-10.
- "Tumung Adventure Camp for XLRI Jamshedpur Students - InsideIIM.com". InsideIIM.com. Retrieved 2016-01-10.
- "XLRI - Resources - Fr Arrupe Centre for Ecology and Sustainability (FACES)". www.xlri.ac.in. Retrieved 2016-01-10.
- "Find P2: XL- Village Immersion Program". p2here.blogspot.in. Retrieved 2016-01-10.
- Choudhary, Shubham (2016-12-26). "A wholesome experience". BLoC. Retrieved 2017-01-24.
- "Events – XLRI".
- "XLRI Ensemble concludes with India's top B-schools winning honors".
- "Ensemble @ XLRI".
- "Ensemble 2011-12 kickstarts at XLRI".
- "XLRI, school of business and human resources to kick start its activities for the Annual Fest – Ensemble 2009".
- "XLRI Ensemble: Growing in style and substance".
- "India's top B-schools wins at XLRI Ensemble".
- "MDI, NITIE, IIM-S win prizes at XLRI's Ensemble 2010".
- "XLRI celebrates Ensemble 2014". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 2015-10-17.
- Singh, Parvinder (2 November 2016). "XLRIs ensemble 2016 all set with the highest prize money ever" – via Dailypioneer.
- "XLRI gears up for three-day cultural extravaganza 'Valhalla' - The Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2015-10-17.
- "XLRI Hosted "VALHALLA 2015"". indiaeducationdiary.in. Retrieved 2015-10-17.
- "XIMB-Best MBA Management Institute in Bhubaneswar, India". www.ximb.edu.in. Retrieved 2016-12-12.
- "CrediHealth, Perfiniti, FolksVagn & Shaadi-e-Khaas: Four start-ups with innovative ideas".
- "Executive Profile: Rakesh Kapoor". Bloomberg Businessweek. 2012. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- http://www.afaqs.com/news/story/34598_Ramesh-Jayaraman-appointed-MD-Perfetti-Van-Melle-India. Missing or empty
- http://www.xlmerijaan.com/events/xlri-felicitates-its-distinguished-alumnus-annual-homecoming-2014/. Missing or empty
- "Dr NS Rajan".
- "Mohan V. Raman".
- http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/cons-products/fmcg/itc-appoints-r-sridhar-as-new-hr-head/articleshow/50894543.cms. Missing or empty
- https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/person.asp?personId=12665549&capId=208310530. Missing or empty