High Street Kensington tube station
Entrance is through Kensington Arcade
Location of High Street Kensington in Central London
|Location||Kensington High Street|
|Local authority||Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||4|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|25 November 1963||Goods yard closed|
|Lists of stations|
|London Transport portalCoordinates:|
High Street Kensington is a London Underground station at Kensington High Street. The station is on the Circle line between Gloucester Road and Notting Hill Gate, and the District line between Earl's Court and Notting Hill Gate. It is in Travelcard Zone 1. Kensington Arcade is the entrance to the station.
The station itself has four platforms - two through platforms and two bay platforms. Platform 1 is used for anti-clockwise Circle line and westbound District line line trains towards Gloucester Road and Earl's Court, respectively. Platform 2 is for clockwise Circle line and eastbound District line trains towards Edgware Road. Platforms 3 and 4 are used for terminating District line trains from Earl's Court. Platform 3 is usually used for the Olympia service and platform 4 is usually only used at the start and end of the day. There used to be a waiting room between Platform 2 & 3 for customer use, but this was turned into a staff room for drivers shortly before the Circle line Hammersmith Extension was implemented in December 2009.
Just south of the station is the junction where the Circle and District lines diverge.
The typical off-peak service from this station is:
- 12 tph (trains per hour) to Edgware Road via Paddington (6 tph District line, 6 tph Circle line)
- 6 tph to Wimbledon via Earl's Court (District line)
- 3 tph to Kensington (Olympia) via Earl's Court (District line) (weekends and special events only)
- 6 tph anticlockwise on the Circle line via Victoria and Embankment to Hammersmith
- London Buses routes 9; 10; 27; 28; 49; 52; 70; 328; 452; C1 and N9; N28; N31.
- National Express Coaches 701/702.
Inside Kensington Arcade
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to High Street Kensington tube station.|
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures" (XLS). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. 2014. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- Hardy, Brian, ed. (March 2011). "How it used to be - freight on The Underground 50 years ago". Underground News (London Underground Railway Society) (591): 175–183. ISSN 0306-8617.
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
towards Edgware Road