Parsons Green tube station
Location of Parsons Green in Greater London
|Local authority||Hammersmith and Fulham|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|Lists of stations|
|London Transport portalCoordinates:|
Parsons Green is a London Underground station on the Wimbledon branch of the District Line. It is between Fulham Broadway and Putney Bridge stations and is in Zone 2. The station is located on Parsons Green a short distance north of the green itself. The station is about half way between Fulham Road (A304) and New Kings Road (A308). The station was previously a train-operator depot, until functions were transferred to Earl's Court.
- Two sidings north of the station:
- One of these is only accessible from the eastbound running line, and can accommodate two D Stock trains or two C Stock trains.
- The second is only accessible from the westbound running line.
- Five sidings south of the station:
- Two sidings are southwest of the station, which are always used when there is a suspension between Parsons Green and Wimbledon, or during moments of service disruption. Accessible from the westbound platform.
- Two sidings are southeast of the station, which are also accessible from the westbound platform. Trains are only put into these sidings during weekends of engineering work, and are not preferred to be used during service disruptions. The reason for this is that when trains are stabled in these sidings, they cannot go back into passenger service from Parsons Green. Due to the track layout, when trains from these sidings go back into the eastbound platform, the first carriage will pass the headwall of the eastbound platform, meaning only 5 of the 6 carriages can fit into the platform.
- There is a siding adjacent to the westbound platform, which can only fit a C Stock train. The siding is only accessible from the easternmost of the above sidings.
Designed by a Mr Clemence under the supervision of John Wolfe-Barry the station was opened on 1 March 1880 when the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR, now the District Line) extended its line south from West Brompton to Putney Bridge.
Parsons Green is a proposed stop on the under-discussion Crossrail 2 route, also known as the Chelsea-Hackney Line. It will either supplement or replace the existing District Line service on much of the Wimbledon Branch.
North of the station, the line would branch off into a new tunneled section that could carry it into Victoria station, via a new station on the Kings Road, Chelsea station. Crossrail 2 is currently still at a development stage, and details may change. The route was safeguarded in 1991 and again in 2007.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Parsons Green tube station.|
- "Customer metrics: entries and exits: 2009". London Underground performance update. Transport for London. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Customer metrics: entries and exits: 2010". London Underground performance update. Transport for London. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures" (XLS). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. 2013. Retrieved 22 July 2013.
- London's Transport Museum Photographic Archive
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|